•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noctilucent Clouds in the Twilight Zone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex65

Alex65

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:44 AM

Living up here in northern Scotland, at a latitude 57.4*, means that the nights do not get dark between early May and early August. Instead we enjoy astronomical twilight throughout the short summer nights. This limits astronomical viewings of anything other than the moon and planets but it is also marks the start of the Noctilucent Cloud season, those silvery ice clouds lurking 50 miles above in the mesosphere.

I took this photo of a Noctilucent Cloud display this morning at 0230. View is towards the NE.

IMG_6106 (1024x490).jpg

• R Botero, DHEB, Allan Wade and 5 others like this

#2 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:47 AM

Lovely! I looked last night at around 11pm but there was no sign of anything. I love seeing them though...a perk us northerners have.

I didn't know you had pyramids in Scotland.
  • WStewart, DHEB, Alex65 and 1 other like this

#3 Alex65

Alex65

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:26 AM

Thanks. We seem to have frequent noctilucent clouds up here though I have noticed that the best displays occur between 0100 - 0300am.

Alas, no pyramid but the house next door. :)

• osbourne one-nil likes this

#4 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:39 AM

I holidayed around Thurso and Kinlochbervie a few times and just marvel at the night skies...particularly on the west coast. You have a latitudinal advantage over me!

• Alex65 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics