•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OEM push-to function vs aftermarket DSC / encoders etc.

DIY beginner
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ziffusion

ziffusion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:41 AM

Am I better off buying OEM push-to functionality (e.g. Orion Intelliscope) or modding with after market DSC / encoders etc.?

I imagine the OEM functionality is more seamless. My problem is that I am having to pick Orion XT8i over Zhumell Z8 just so I can get the push-to function. I am trying to figure out if adding push-to to Z8 would be easy and effective enough. If yes, then I'd rather buy a Z8.

Some people even talk about using a mobile app for the same purpose. Are they even close on accuracy and usefulness?

Thoughts, advice?

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:04 AM

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights

For certain models of the Apertura and Zhumell Dogs, there is the EZ PUSH TO kit from Romer Optics.

https://romer-optics...ds-of-dobsonian

Here's a long CloudyNights thread on the EZ PUSH TO.

https://www.cloudyni...526-ez-push-to/

Jon

#3 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:54 AM

Hi, I have the Nexus II from Astrodevices. It's perfect and it works really very well. Astrodevices can manufacture an add-on kit for your specific scope.

As for the Intelliscope, it uses custom encoders and a custom palmare. If something brokes, it's gone.

As for the EZ Scope: check if you can connect it to skysafari. Skysafari + push-to is, IMHO, a wonderful observing experience.

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 31 May 2020 - 02:59 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics