•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR or Eyepiece Camera

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mangulator

mangulator

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:04 AM

This topic may have been answered elsewhere but here goes.

I have a Meade 8 inch SCT with a wedge. I already have a Meade focal reducer and 2 inch diagonal and other equipment.

I purchased a low cost eyepiece camera from Orion years ago and used a laptop and the stacking software that was provided with the camera.

I was able to image the moon but that was about it. I tried to image Saturn and Jupiter but was never able to achieve any good images so I pretty much have up. I never tried using a DSLR because at the time I only had a film camera and when I did upgrade to digital I went with a " Bridge Type Camera " which does not have a removable lens. I also tried multiple brand cell phone eyepiece mounts, the latest Celestron cellphone mount which is good for the moon.

After many years of not using my telescope luck has found that my sister and brother in law are very interested in astronomy. They just purchased a new home in a very dark part of my state and on clear nights the views are excellent. We have talked about setting my scope up to do some astrophotography along with our just looking through the eyepiece. The Orion Eyepiece Camera I already own I know will just be a waste of time being it is much easier to just mount a cellphone to a eyepiece to achieve the same results. So I have been looking for a imager and ran across a brand called SvBony and it's v205 and v305 imagers. I did a review search and found a few threads on each here at CN. 

The information I read here was really informative. I am just looking to get started and am not looking to spend a small fortune.

I would like to start with the moon and planets and then try some deep sky imaging.

While I was reviewing the SvBony products I realized not only would I need to purchase the imager I would also need to purchase a laptop. My current laptop is too large and power hungry for field work and my older laptops are running outdated software and I believe would not be efficient for the tasks involved.

As I was reading the threads someone mentioned that using a Cannon T3 would be a better choice over the SvBony products and this got me thinking. I checked eBay on used Cannon T3 cameras and on Amazon for a eyepiece adapter and found it would probably be cheaper to just get a used camera and the telescope adapter then getting a CD imager and laptop.

I'm not familiar with using a DSLR on a telescope. I read somewhere that your able to use a DSLR for eyepiece projection photography another confusing method for me.

I guess I asking if someone could point me in the direction of some threads on the pro's and con's of each system or offer up their opinions on which way I should go. I would greatly appreciate the input. Should I go with a DSLR and telescope adapter for my Meade 8 inch SCT ( Also which adapter is best for the Cannon T3 and my scope ) or should I invest in the SvBony v305 and get pick-up a new laptop for field use. I know that using a DSLR will only require memory cards of which I have plenty of and I can process my images in the home. I found a power adapter for the Cannon that I will be able to plug into my power bank in the field. Also powering a CCD Imager and Laptop in the field along with the scope will not be a problem.

Any thoughts on this will be very helpful, thanks 

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:17 AM

If your budget is dictating the decision, you would be much better off with a DSLR than the old imagers sold by Orion and Meade and others. The DSLR will have a bigger chip, and be more adaptable. Yes, probably more expensive, but much more capable. If budget is not driving the decision, then look into some of the recent inexpensive dedicated astro cameras. 

I do not know how old the T3 is. At one point, Canon's cameras required two connectors. One was USB to download the pictures, and another cable to control the exposures. If you are planning on using a computer with this rig (and you will want to do that) be sure whatever you buy has the one-cable arrangement. The two cable can be done, but it is more complicated and I do not know if you can even get the stuff you need for the second cable any more.

Generally speaking with an SCT, the adapters are rather simple, and inexpensive. You need an adapter at the back of the SCT to convert to T-threads, and a standard T-mount for the camera. Yes, there are a lot more devices you can buy to stick back there (flatteners, focusers, reducers, filter wheels, and all that......) but I sense you just want to take some good pictures. The simple adapters and a relatively modern (ten years or so) DSLR will get you going with what you have.  

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics