•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stray light and chromatic aberration

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ddegroot

ddegroot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:55 AM

Hi everyone, 

Last night, I had little choice but to observe the Moon in a brightly illuminated environment. I brought out my Takahashi FC-100DC with a Takahashi focal extender. This should produce just about color-free views, as I experienced recently while observing Venus. But last night, I saw more chromatic aberration than I've ever seen while viewing the Moon. 

Could the culprit be stray light entering the OTA? Or maybe just atmospheric conditions? 

Thanks! 
D

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:11 AM

How high was Moon when you observed it ?

If it was low it can make such color faults.

#3 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:06 AM

Was it your eyepiece instead?

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Stray light shouldn’t manifest itself as a purple halo. I have had issues with stray light causing internal reflections when using a focal reducer (0.63x SCT style) or coma corrector (reflector). But it was more a matter of an undesirable glare impacting part of the view, not a purple halo or purple shadows in craters.

Personally my Vixen Apo is extremely well baffled and I pretty much can’t induce stray light even shining a flashlight down the tube. I would expect nothing less from Tak.

Yes I would question how high the Moon was in the sky. It set around 1 pm last night?

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 ddegroot

ddegroot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Moon was quite high, and I've never seen such false color before with the Tak . . . I expected less last night, since it was one of my first times using the extender. 

Strange! 

Edited by ddegroot, 31 May 2020 - 09:07 PM.

#6 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:46 PM

Could be atmospheric dispersion. I've seen this effect in my 92mm Stowaway on several occasions even with moon/planet relatively high in the sky. Try again on a different night before cursing the scope, eyepiece, or diagonal. 

#7 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

A little hard to speculate when essentially no details were provided. 

Hi everyone, 

Last night, I had little choice but to observe the Moon in a brightly illuminated environment. I brought out my Takahashi FC-100DC with a Takahashi focal extender. This should produce just about color-free views, as I experienced recently while observing Venus. But last night, I saw more chromatic aberration than I've ever seen while viewing the Moon. 

Could the culprit be stray light entering the OTA? Or maybe just atmospheric conditions? 

Thanks! 
D

For meaningful answers, you really need to provide a detailed description of exactly what you saw. 

Clear skies, Alan

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hi everyone, 

Thanks! 
D

If you've observed a CA free Venus, then It's definitely not your DC. I used a DC for five years and its a top class apo. Is the extender a 1.6X extender-Q that screws into your visual back, and if so is it new or second hand? The Q should make an already stunning scope even more stunning. You could try viewing at its native F7.4 and see if the CA disappears. If it does there may be a fault with the Q, but I've never heard of such a thing. What diagonal and eyepice were you using?

#9 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

I don't own a Tak, but this seems weird to me.  I'll be interested to see how you Tak guys figure this one out.

Dom Q.

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:36 AM

You could try viewing at its native F7.4 and see if the CA disappears.

I like this idea. Let the eyepiece provide the magnification.  A decent eyepiece in a truly color free scope like a Newtonians will not show on-axis chromatic aberration...

If it's not seen at the same mag with the eyepiece but seen with the Qextender, question answered.

My guess is atmospheric dispersion.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics