•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexus DSC - fit to existing mount, or upgrade to new mount with pre-fitted encoders (or complete kit).

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:52 AM

My technophobia is/has out me off GOTO, I could only afford S-W or the little iOptron AZ anyway, and bad experience posts ring alarm bells & raise red flags. But I think I could cope with DSCs, and being able to use them on different mounts is a bonus. 

I like the Nexus display, font & readout so would buy that.

But, technophobia rearing its head, fitting encoders out of the box (hoping they don't have to be bought separately), has me stuck on how-to & how good a job I would do.

So my dilemma is buy the kit, or buy a new mount with the encoders pre-installed. This applies to any computerisation of course.

Please does anyone have advice or experience to help me decide!  

#2 coconut

coconut

Explorer 1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:59 AM

I have fitted encoders in a Stellarvue M2 mount to be used with Nexus DSC.Was very easy and works like a charm.

• 25585 likes this

#3 ELDavis

ELDavis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Fl and Keystone, Co

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:41 AM

Ditto on installing encoders on Losmandy G8, G11. It probably did'nt take a half hour. The only problem is that Astro Devices has a limited number of encoder sets for specific mounts. What kind of mount are you going to use?

• 25585 likes this

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

I put Astro Devices encoders on my Twilight 1.  I think it took about 20 minutes total.  The instructions are quite easy to understand with good pics.   I have a software background, but I was still a little nervous doing it.  Turns out any anxiety was totally unfounded.  Easy-peasy as long as you just follow the directions.

I use them with a Nexus II connected via WiFi to my iPhone running Sky Safari.  There are some minor quirks IMO to the system, but nothing major.    The key thing I personally have to remember is to always charge my phone and Nexus before use.

I considered the DSC box, but the Nexus is handier to use for me.

Edited by jcj380, 31 May 2020 - 08:09 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#5 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

Ditto on installing encoders on Losmandy G8, G11. It probably did'nt take a half hour. The only problem is that Astro Devices has a limited number of encoder sets for specific mounts. What kind of mount are you going to use?

Tele Gizmo Giro Ercole https://www.teleskop...p-to-18-kg.html I already own.

The alternative is buying a Rowan AZ100 either with just encoders initially, or encoders & Nexus, but very costly though very nice.

I don't know any other DSC pre-fitted mount available in the UK, apart from Tele Vue Gibraltars. 

Edited by 25585, 31 May 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#6 ELDavis

ELDavis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Fl and Keystone, Co

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

If you are going alt-az the consider Stellarvue M2. There are encoders available from Astrodevices for this mount.

• 25585 likes this

#7 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

If you have any questions just pop a note to Serge, the owner of AstroDevices.  Don’t be surprised if he calls you from Australia five minutes later, no matter what time you email him.  No joke.  There is no better customer service on this planet, period. Serge stands alone.  

• swsantos, Moe24 and 25585 like this

#8 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

The alternative is buying a Rowan AZ100 either with just encoders initially, or encoders & Nexus, but very costly though very nice.

If you do buy an AZ100, please post a review.  Looks like a great mount, but as you said, rather pricey.

Edited by jcj380, 01 June 2020 - 07:46 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#9 laedco58

laedco58

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sandstone Minnesota

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Took less than an hour to mount the encoders on my Z-12 back when I first got my Nexus DSC. I recently picked up a M2C and it took maybe 15 minutes to install the Astro Systems encoder kit.

#10 genelew

genelew

Vostok 1

• Loc: Westchester County NY

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

I put Astro Devices encoders on my Twilight 1.  I think it took about 20 minutes total.  The instructions are quite easy to understand with good pics.   I have a software background, but I was still a little nervous doing it.  Turns out any anxiety was totally unfounded.  Easy-peasy as long as you just follow the directions.

I use them with a Nexus II connected via WiFi to my iPhone running Sky Safari.  There are some minor quirks IMO to the system, but nothing major.    The key thing I personally have to remember is to always charge my phone and Nexus before use.

I considered the DSC box, but the Nexus is handier to use for me.

Has anyone mounted a shelf for the DSC on a Twilight I? I'm thinking about getting encoders for mine but I like to mount the DSC on a shelf with my iPad mini (see photo).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0175.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics