•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Curse of the First Quarter Moon Lifted After 3 Years

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

I have wanted to get a decent image of the first quarter moon for three years.  Each time has been plagued by bad weather, very poor seeing, or misalignment of the 50% lunar phase relative to our nighttime.  I dubbed it "curse of the first quarter moon".  I had a two hour window between clearing afternoon thunderstorms and nighttime clouds this last Thursday night to capture the moon almost precisely at 50% illumination.  The Jetstream was relatively calm for our area, but thermals from the prior thunderstorms messed with the seeing.  Pickering was around 3 with my 8" EdgeHD.  I imaged 5,000 frames per video and typically chose the best 1,000 to stack.  The quality graphs were pretty poor with the curve falling down to 50% quality at around 35% of the frames.  Surprisingly, I was able to process and keep the resolution at native capture of 0.23"/pixel.  Here is a much reduced resolution version to keep with CN posting limits.  Be sure to click on the image.

First-Quarter-Moon.jpg

• Kenny V., astrofun, james7ca and 8 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

A wealth of detail! A result like that is worth waiting for, IMHO. Excellent image of the First Quarter Moon from stormy Colorado, thank you for sharing! waytogo.gif

• aeroman4907 likes this

#3 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

I'll post a few cropped areas of interest.  Here is one that includes the area around Cassini.  Be sure to click the image!

Cassini.jpg

• Kenny V. and james7ca like this

#4 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Apennine Mountains.   Be sure to click the image!

Attached Thumbnails

• Apennine-Mountains.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#5 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

Triesnecker.   Be sure to click the image!

Triesnecker2.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#6 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:04 AM

Albategnius.  Be sure to click on the image!

Albategnius.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#7 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:09 AM

Walther.   Be sure to click on the image!

Walther.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#8 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

And lastly, the Southern Highlands.   Be sure to click on the image!

Southern-Highlands.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#9 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

Those are all nice images from an 8 inch scope. It looks like you captured quite a lot of the rille that runs down the Alpine Valley.

• aeroman4907 likes this

#10 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:18 PM

Outstanding images 👌.

Would that I could have that seeing.

Anyway, on a lighter note, a very old friend, same age, of mine just sent me his first astro shot of the moon. He bought my Star Adventurer. He's already excelling!

I'm delighted, but already worried about the hard questions coming my way.

Your lunar images here are ****ing awesome. In spite of a continental Europe high pressure singeing my bones with 28 degree heat today, as I sit in the garden contemplating throwing another deceased crustacean on the fossil-fueled mobile food cooker, the seeing ain't that great once it gets dark enough around 10pm. Make that 11pm in a few weeks time. Such are the trevails of living in the sub Arctic tundra.

Keep 'em coming!
  • aeroman4907 likes this

#11 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Those are all nice images from an 8 inch scope. It looks like you captured quite a lot of the rille that runs down the Alpine Valley.

Thanks James.  I definitely try and capture the rille each and every time it is visible.  That let's me know I got a fairly decent result.

Outstanding images .

Would that I could have that seeing.

Anyway, on a lighter note, a very old friend, same age, of mine just sent me his first astro shot of the moon. He bought my Star Adventurer. He's already excelling!

I'm delighted, but already worried about the hard questions coming my way.

Your lunar images here are ****ing awesome. In spite of a continental Europe high pressure singeing my bones with 28 degree heat today, as I sit in the garden contemplating throwing another deceased crustacean on the fossil-fueled mobile food cooker, the seeing ain't that great once it gets dark enough around 10pm. Make that 11pm in a few weeks time. Such are the trevails of living in the sub Arctic tundra.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for the very kind words Kevin.

With regard to the seeing, it wasn't particularly good.  As noted above, I'd give it a Pickering of 3 at best.  The PP moved around quite a bit during collimation and I had to make adjustments based upon intensities of light rather than being able to focus tightly and get the rotating and strobing effect Darryl talks about.  That being said, I have attached a close up of a video of Theophilus to help give a better indication of what the seeing was like.  That way we won't "bicker and argue about who killed who" (Monty Python reference lol.gif ), I mean try and say how good or bad my seeing is relative to yours.  Your latitude certainly doesn't help with the moon being 13 degrees lower in the sky (a real killer for seeing) and the sunset later.  On the other hand, think about how wonderful it is during the winter with longer nights.  Let's of course forget the Jetstream at that time of year and the likelihood of months of clouds for you!

Moon_215630_pipp.gif

Sadly, I feel like I have had to learn to deal with relatively bad seeing.  It is pretty rare when the data is good enough for a simple deconvolution run and everything looks sharp and noise free.  That happens a few times a year from what I can tell.

I love incinerated crustacean's!  We don't have fresh versions of those where I live in the mid-continental US.  I also have to look harder and pay more for good Irish Whiskey!

Cheers!

Steve

Edited by aeroman4907, 01 June 2020 - 12:55 PM.

#12 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

Nice images Steve.  I was going to ask about cropped images last night, but figured I'd wait until today to see if you were working on them!  

• aeroman4907 likes this

#13 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Nice images Steve.  I was going to ask about cropped images last night, but figured I'd wait until today to see if you were working on them!  

Thanks Tom.  Your recent post and decision to provide reduced sized images made me think twice about what resolution I would post for my images.  These images very marginally 'pass' the 200% view test in PS I mentioned in response to your posting.  I decided to keep the original capture scale because it is easier to see and inspect some features.  I am most likely to enter into a complete lunar imaging hibernation for the next two or two and a half months until waning lunar phases begin to have favorable altitudes again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics