•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mewlon 180c on an Evolution Mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Howie Toad

Howie Toad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: long beach,ca

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

Will the Tak Vixen dovetail work on an Evolution mount? If not, what accessories would I need? Thanks for your help.

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:44 PM

The plastic shroud that surrounds the Evolution dovetail clamp would almost certainly interfere with the flat aluminum casting on the Tak 180 where the dovetail is attached. While the Tak Mewlon dovetail bars are considered Vixen dovetail bars they are a little bit smaller in width and thickness than normal Vixen bars. Some Vixen saddles will not close enough to grab the Tak dovetail. For instance The Tak dovetail works fine with the dovetail saddle of my Vixen Sphinx and GPD2 mounts. The dual d/v clamp on my GM8 will also close enough to solidly grab the Tak dovetail but an ADM vixen saddle I have will not. The clamp bar bottoms out before it grips the bar. If your getting a Tak Mewlon 180 new it will come with it's own dovetail saddle. Some normal Vixen bars like the 7" Losmandy universal bar has threaded holes 35mm apart that allow a Tak clam shell tube clamp or dovetail clamp to be attached. Then perhaps that normal Vixen bar could be used with the Evolution mount and the Mewlon attached by it's own saddle.

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:05 PM

Here is the dovetail saddle supplied with a Tak Mewlon 180 attached to an ADM D style dovetail made for Tak tube clamps and dovetail clamps. In your situation you would want a V dovetail bar with the correct threaded holes to accept Tak tube clamps and dovetail saddles.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• u180_3_R.jpg

Edited by Nippon, 31 May 2020 - 04:05 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

Here is a link to the Losmandy bar I was referring to.

http://store.losmandy.com/vup7

#5 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

I would think you would lose a lot of sky near the meridian if you put your 180 on an Evolution mount.  And I would think the long tube would put a strain on the Evolution gears and would not be a stable set up in any wind conditions.  Would you not lose most of the sky you would want to observe?

Charlie

#6 Howie Toad

Howie Toad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: long beach,ca

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:29 AM

Thanks to everyone for you help.

#7 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

Chuckscap successfully mounted a TEC 180 Mak on an Evolution Mount.
https://www.cloudyni...ight/?p=7760827
I think the 180 Mewlon is back heavy compared to the 180 TEC Maksutov, so it can be mounted further forward than is possible with the Mak. Chuckscap could reach zenith. That would mean you could view right up to zenith without a problem. You’d also have no balance problem as was the case with the Mak. The Mewlon also weighs about 2 lbs less than the 180mm Mak. That's another plus.

Edited by elwaine, 01 June 2020 - 02:33 PM.

#8 chuckscap

chuckscap

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:07 PM

i had no issues with my TEC 7 Mak on my Evolution mount.   I balanced it (my TEC 7 Mak was front heavy due to the corrector so I modified a 3 lb photo tripod weight to mount on the handle).  It worked beautifully.   I had the heavier tripod since I had originally bought the Evolution 9.25.

At zenith: 

5iLS0pb.jpg

14Wlolu.jpg

• eros312 likes this

#9 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

The Mewlon 180 is very back heavy. With a 1.25" diagonal and Plossl eyepieces mine is as far back in the dovetail as it will go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics