•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG5-ASGT Meridian Flip Firmware Actions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:15 AM

Hi Folks. I tried a bit more research on this and checked the User Manual and the Nexstar Resource Site with little understanding on the CG5-ASGT Meridian Flip bangbang.gif

Can someone state with fact how the CG5-ASGT with the latest Motor Control & Hand Control Firmware (Version 4 Hand Control 4.22 & Motor Control Version 5.20) will react as the CG5 when tracking approaches and then reaches the Meridian. I have set no Limits and I am concerned of the Dec & RA housings crushing each other! Did the Firmware prevent this Automatically?

In other words does the CG5 with latest MC Firmware prevent this and will the CG5 Automatically just stop tracking once it reaches it the Firmware added Meridian point, or will the CG5 do an automatic flip, or will I need to re-slew to the object I was tracking that reached the meridian in which the CG5 stopped tracking if that what the CG5 is programmed to do via Firmware when reaching the Meridian.

Can someone answer and explain how the CG5 works with the Meridian flip and if I need to change anything.

Cheers

Don

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:40 AM

1.) So, I'm pulling this from the recesses of my brain. Unfortunately, not the latest and greatest. IIRC, the ASGT will stop tracking (automatically) when it reaches six degrees past the meridian. This may be configurable. I can't recall.

2.) Pretty much no mount will flip automatically when it reaches the meridian. Most mounts require that some sort of controlling software outside of the mount (aka "a session manager" or "an automation layer") will track the pointing location and command the mount to flip. This is often accomplished by sending a new GoTo which will cause most mounts to flip once the target has crossed the meridian, but there is variability in this.

Moreover, in the case of imaging, the outside software that commands the flip usually does other things as well. For example, flipping in between images, using plate solving to re-center the target in case of pointing inaccuracies, resume guiding if necessary or running a focus routine in case of mechanical shift.

Sorry, I haven't used an ASGT in many years, but I have fond memories of it.

• emflocater likes this

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Don,

None of the CG5 software deals with a meridian flip like the later AVX, CGEM and other mounts. All it will do is to stop at the hard stop limits or if you pre set the slew limits.

Stan
  • emflocater and telesonic like this

#4 bobharmony

bobharmony

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

1.) So, I'm pulling this from the recesses of my brain: IIRC, the ASGT will stop tracking (automatically) when it reaches six degrees past the meridian. This may be configurable. I can't recall.

2.) Pretty much no mount will flip automatically when it reaches the meridian. Most mounts require that some sort of controlling software outside of the mount (aka "a session manager" or "an automation layer") will track the pointing location and command the mount to flip. This is often accomplished by sending a new GoTo which will cause most mounts to flip once the target has crossed the meridian, but there is variability in this.

Moreover, in the case of imaging, the outside software that commands the flip usually does other things as well. For example, flipping in between images, using plate solving to re-center the target in case of pointing inaccuracies, resume guiding if necessary or running a focus routine in case of mechanical shift.

As a current ASGT owner, I can confirm the stopping of tracking after the mount passes the meridian.  The exact amount escapes my memory as well, but it is less than 30 minutes, which makes the 6 degrees plausible.  To the best of my knowledge it will not do an automatic flip.  I have used the automated flip mechanism in Astrophotography Tools to successfully get the mount to flip 12 minutes after passing the meridian.

Bob

• emflocater likes this

#5 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, Bob. Also, per Stan's comment on other Celestron mounts: my knowledge of them, in general, appears to be showing its age.

• emflocater likes this

#6 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

Great responses Folks! I probably can do a indoor setup and slew to a star or object near the Meridian and allow the CG5-ASGT Mount to track and then watch what happens.

I usually use CDC (Cartes du Ciel).

Do any of you use this as well and does CDC have any control or allow any parameters or choices affiliated with the Meridian approach?

I will go back and check the CDC User Guide on this but thought I would ask since I control my CG5-ASGT Mount with CDC.

Thank you.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 31 May 2020 - 11:05 AM.

#7 bobharmony

bobharmony

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:25 AM

Don - I use CdC for control and target selection as well.  If an object passes the meridian, you can issue a slew to the target in CdC and it will do the meridian flip.  You can test this indoor at your convenience.

How accurate the slew will be is dependent on how well polar aligned the mount is and how complete your pointing model is.  AFAIK CdC doesn't have any capability to adjust for PA issues.  APT will platesolve after the flip and get the pointing to with 15 pixels or so of where it was pointing before the flip.  It also will stop and restart PHD2.  If you are thinking about this wrt AP, getting a tool to automate is very helpful in getting a good nights sleep!

Bob

• emflocater likes this

#8 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

Don - I use CdC for control and target selection as well.  If an object passes the meridian, you can issue a slew to the target in CdC and it will do the meridian flip.  You can test this indoor at your convenience.

How accurate the slew will be is dependent on how well polar aligned the mount is and how complete your pointing model is.  AFAIK CdC doesn't have any capability to adjust for PA issues.  APT will platesolve after the flip and get the pointing to with 15 pixels or so of where it was pointing before the flip.  It also will stop and restart PHD2.  If you are thinking about this wrt AP, getting a tool to automate is very helpful in getting a good nights sleep!

Bob

Thank you Bob. Will check into it.

Cheers

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics