•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big scopes are not that hard to move around!

SCT tripod mount eyepieces equipment Celestron accessories astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Randyx007

Randyx007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spokane Valley, Washington

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

I have always heard that the best telescope you can have is the one you will use the most. The hardest part of dealing with my new C11 was moving it around. I like modifying things so that is what I did in order to move my new scope around, now it is very mobile and easier to setup!

This was made out of a heavy duty tote with wheels. I used the stock foam from the original packaging and trimmed it up to fit inside and snugly hold it in place. I removed the original wheels and put pneumatic wheels on it with a bigger axle for reducing the vibration/bumps of rolling it around. It also makes it quiet to move around so I don't wake up my lady when stumbling in with it at 2-3am lol. I keep all my lenses in a separate case that allows you to customize the contents layout inside the foam so they stay secure. 

Overall it works very well. Makes setting up much easier and can go from almost everything broken down to setup in about 15 minutes or so (including a quick polar alignment). Only part I need to figure out is a way to make the mount more portable!!!

scope1.jpg

Sorry, picture is bad. Had to compress it down to 500kb to fit on the post!

Also my first post!

Edited by Randyx007, 31 May 2020 - 03:03 PM.

• jwheel, PirateMike and howardcano like this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Only part I need to figure out is a way to make the mount more portable!!!

Get another tote, and put foam in it to carry the mount.  I have my iOptron CEM25 in one.

• PatrickVt likes this

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Explorer 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Welcome! Great post! Getting the stuff to where it needs to be is a problem. 

#4 Couder

Couder

Mariner 2

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

Guess it depends on your definition of "big". I'm finding it a little hard to move this one around.....this was taken before I finished making all the missing pieces...and there is the bottom half of the pier not on yet cause my shop isn't tall enough. Those counterweights are lead, by the way.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mount and other parts (11).jpg
  • Mount and other parts (17)s.jpg

• Don Taylor, mdowns, happylimpet and 5 others like this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

I agree. At least some larger scopes can be moved without too much trouble.

6255551-Obsession lifting by handles CN.jpg

Jon

• Joe Bergeron, jmclaugh2001, George N and 4 others like this

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:02 PM

Nice wheel barrel, Jon. Did I mention that I’m afraid of heights?

Stan

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well, there's big, and then there's BIG.

Comes a size, for everyone... where the most practical field trip kit and logistics are... key in the pocket and a short stroll to the dome.    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 36-inch successfully installed in dome Ryan and Tom.jpg

• BravoFoxtrot, Don Taylor, Sky King and 2 others like this

#8 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:11 AM

The scope isn’t too bad, but the mount is a bit heavy. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 693934F0-0D77-45E4-82C9-7BA763F6F77C.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, eyeoftexas and sunnyday like this

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

well it’s not so much the size it’s the weight I have an issue with at times.my strength has never been an problem however have a slighty warn spine apparently.there seems to be little devices out there shown on the dob like a trolley pictured however still wouldn’t like to go to far with that even.ok for just wheeling outside from your lock up or garage I’m considering in making a trolley of some kind for my Meade 12”ACF not only feel lot safer than carrying the scope it will also add versatility in actually taking it to dark sky’s as it would be up right the centre of gravity would be good couple of straps etc and off you go with a possibility of some kind of dampening.

its a shame really as I think it would be the way to go apart from feeling safer and a lot easier to move around it would allow you to take larger sct cassagrains for exsample to darker sky’s.

#10 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

I don’t know about moving around, but if you mean setting up then that’s up to what the observer can do. I’m more concerned with transporting. My main scope is a 10” f5 on a pretty heavy eq mount. The reason I bought that one was because I measured the storage capacity of the car I had at the time, and that was the largest scope that would fit in my car when disassembled. I really wanted a 12.5, but couldn’t transport it at the time. In the long run it was a good choice, because it weighs around 230 lbs when fully assembled, and combined with the bulk it’s easy for one person to handle alone. A 12.5” f5 or f6 would have been much more difficult. I also have a 6” f12 refractor, but don’t use it very often because the OTA with dew shield is 7 feet long and I don’t have a way to get it to a dark site. I just roll it out on the driveway at my house, which I can also do with the 10”. So both scopes can be moved around once they are set up, but the newt is transportable whereas the refractor is not, unless I buy a different vehicle.

#11 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

The best deal I've seen for moving and handling a large scope was one year at Stellafane -- John Vought and his 32-inch ATM Dob:

John sits in his chair - drinking something and says to his two teenage daughters "OK girls, get the scope out of the trailer and set it up!"   ---- and they did!  wink.gif

But John's scope has wheels that can rotate down/up using a foot-lever to tip the scope. It is designed to roll out of the trailer and back in, and can be assembled while standing on the ground.

The Obsession 36 that I've seen at Stellafane also has a similar wheel arrangement. To get the scope back into the trailer there is an electric winch and cable that pulls the wheels-down scope up the ramp tailgate of the trailer.

Edited by George N, 06 June 2020 - 10:00 AM.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

The best deal I've seen for moving and handling a large scope was one year at Stellafane -- John Vought and his 32-inch ATM Dob:

John sits in his chair - drinking something and says to his two teenage daughters "OK girls, get the scope out of the trailer and set it up!"   ---- and they did!  wink.gif

It might be easy but it's not inexpensive and comes with a variety of potential issues.. lol.gif

I should add, this method can be cranky, noisy and unreliable.. 

Jon

• George N likes this

#13 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

I agree. At least some larger scopes can be moved without too much trouble.

Jon

When moving an Obsession like Jon shows -- you do need to 'lock' the 'mirror box' down to the 'rocker box'. There were many descriptions of mod's to do that back on the old 'Obsession Users Group' - ranging from simple to 'takes some work to make'.

It **is** possible to do it without locking - and I have done it with my Obsession 20 F/5. However, it is also very easy to dump the 'tube' out on the ground -- and I've done that too!  -- with no damage luckily, since it happened on soft grass. However a friend was less lucky - and bent his Alt encoder arm beyond repair and had to get a replacement from Obsession.

#14 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

It might be easy but it's not inexpensive and comes with a variety of potential issues.. lol.gif

I should add, this method can be cranky, noisy and unreliable.. 

Jon

Ya.... the biggest problem for John was -- the girls thought that they had earned 'eyepiece-time' priority! cool.gif 

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:25 AM

When moving an Obsession like Jon shows -- you do need to 'lock' the 'mirror box' down to the 'rocker box'. There were many descriptions of mod's to do that back on the old 'Obsession Users Group' - ranging from simple to 'takes some work to make'.

It **is** possible to do it without locking - and I have done it with my Obsession 20 F/5. However, it is also very easy to dump the 'tube' out on the ground -- and I've done that too!  -- with no damage luckily, since it happened on soft grass. However a friend was less lucky - and bent his Alt encoder arm beyond repair and had to get a replacement from Obsession.

It's probably best if one has a way of locking the mirror box to the rocker box. I did have a couple of incidents.

But once I figured out what was going on, I haven't had any issues.

The angle of the rocker box is critical. As long as the tangent line of the trunnion at the forward bearing points up, it's stable. Lift the handles too high and you dump the scope instantly. 

Getting that 25 inch back in place, I did it 10 years ago, I don't think I could do it today.

With my 22 inch, I lengthened the handles to make it easier to lift and I raised the handles to make dumping the scope more difficult.

Starsplitter 22 Lubing Azimuth bearing.jpg

But George is right, one has to be very careful, it's something to be aware of. 

Jon

• George N likes this

#16 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

• Loc: Glen Ellen, California

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

. . . Overall it works very well. Makes setting up much easier and can go from almost everything broken down to setup in about 15 minutes or so (including a quick polar alignment). Only part I need to figure out is a way to make the mount more portable!!!

Good for you.  As you can see by the responses, BIG comes in all sizes and some are less portable.  I ran into the same problem with a C9.25 and my CGEM Mount.  It was a pain to setup and deal with.  Problem was solved when I got a JMI mid-range wheeley bar and left the mount setup in the garage after use.  A lot less hassle.  However, I never transport my scope on it due to uneven pavement.  Enjoy your portable versatility!!!

#17 Rock22

Rock22

Messenger

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Thinking about this as a possible solution for moving and raising an ES 10” truss dob around my mother’s house:

Scissor lift jack

It’s heavy, so it won’t tip over.  Just need to make sure the dob base fits on the platform and can be secured to it.

#18 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

Looks Great to me, Randy!

And it appears it has a handle to make moving it easy.

As a Deep Space Astro Imager myself, my telescope is small, a mere 80 mm. ED80T CF.

Specialized to take DSO images. So it carries a lot of equipment on it.

Were I settled to set my mount and compooter at is not "Wheeled Friendly", so I have modularized my equipment into "chunks" I carry out, then back in. (Grandma's Rules!)

My entire set-up can be moved in 5 trips. And then of course, 5 trips back in.

So when my Doctor asked if I'm getting excersize, I can look him in the eye and honestly say, "More than you!" lol.gif

I haven't weighed my stuff, really. My tripod weighs 35 pounds. And my telescope is now at 15.4 pounds. But the column and head, and the Dec section, are just heavy.

I've Modularized it and if the weather is favorable, I do leave the tripod set up and cover it well.

Of course I got grilled by Grandma. "Is there any motors in that piece you've got covered up out there?"

"No. It's just Anodized Aluminum, all metal, and not electrical. All the electrical is in the house."

God Bless Her! She doesn't know much about it, except it cost a lot. And I get interesting and pretty pictures with it.

A lightweight hand truck, with some Velcro straps, or Ball Bungees could make your mount easily portable.

Fold it, strap it, store it, or transport it.

Badda-Boom, Badda-Bing. wink.gif

#19 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:10 PM

Guess it depends on your definition of "big". I'm finding it a little hard to move this one around.....this was taken before I finished making all the missing pieces...and there is the bottom half of the pier not on yet cause my shop isn't tall enough. Those counterweights are lead, by the way.

Looks like something you would shoot planes down in the Second World War!?APM do 300mm Bino refractor weighs in around 4 ton I think

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SCT, tripod, mount, eyepieces, equipment, Celestron, accessories, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics