•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What have I done? (First Televue!)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

Well, I had completely talked myself out of it.  I was totally prepared to go in another direction.  But, then, there it was in the classifieds, calling to me, beckoning me, singing its Siren song, haunting my mind.   I tried not to listen, but I'm only a man after all.

So, I did it anyway.  I bought my first 2" eyepiece, and, not incidentally, my first Televue:  the 27mm Panoptic.

While I had concerns (Exit pupil too big at f/4.4?  Eye relief enough for my glasses?), the beauty of buying used is that I can always flip it back without much loss.   I have a feeling, though, that--unlike those unfortunate sailors in Greek mythology--I won't regret it.  If nothing else, it should do nicely in whatever wide-angle f/5 RFT I end up going with.

I had to share because I'm actually pretty jacked about it.banjodance.gif  Oh, and I apologize for having called down the wrath of the cloud gods upon the west coast, but at least I did it during the brightest part of the lunar cycle.

• Scott in NC, doctordub, cuzimthedad and 9 others like this

#2 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Optically, they're excellent.  I'm interested to hear if you find the eye relief adequate. 

• vdog likes this

#3 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

Don't worry too much if you wear glasses. I need to wear glasses & find the Delite range,  a 35 Panoptic, 40 & 55mm Plossls are the only comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces, from experience.

• howardcano and vdog like this

#4 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:16 PM

Optically, they're excellent.  I'm interested to hear if you find the eye relief adequate. 

It looks ok on paper (19mm), just a shade longer than the ER of the Morpheus 6.5, which is my tightest squeeze but still manageable.

Of course, nobody does their observing on paper.  We'll see how it does in the field.

#5 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:25 PM

Don't worry too much if you wear glasses. I need to wear glasses & find the Delite range,  a 35 Panoptic, 40 & 55mm Plossls are the only comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces, from experience.

Well, hopefully my experience with this one will work out ok.

If nothing else, I will at least have experienced the view through a Televue eyepiece.  After hanging out on CN for the last couple of years, I feel like I could not have ended my days in contentment without having done that at least once.

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

Don't worry too much if you wear glasses. I need to wear glasses & find the Delite range, a 35 Panoptic, 40 & 55mm Plossls are the only comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces, from experience.

Have you tried the Delos series?

Thank you.

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:38 PM

He has Morpheus from 17.5-6.5 and a Meade 5.5 UWA so not a lot of benefit to switching to Delos, other than more ER than the 5.5mm. On the other hand the 27 Panoptic upgrades his 25 HD-60. So he was simply addressing the weakest link.

Having the Meade HD-60, and having a Panoptic (not the 27), I would say don’t expect much of a difference in field correction. The Panoptic will likely be a little better but probably just a subtle difference. The biggest difference will be the wider FOV. Maybe a touch more ER. 

Scott

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

He has Morpheus from 17.5-6.5 and a Meade 5.5 UWA so not a lot of benefit to switching to Delos, other than more ER than the 5.5mm. On the other hand the 27 Panoptic upgrades his 25 HD-60. So he was simply addressing the weakest link.

Having the Meade HD-60, and having a Panoptic (not the 27), I would say don’t expect much of a difference in field correction. The Panoptic will likely be a little better but probably just a subtle difference. The biggest difference will be the wider FOV. Maybe a touch more ER. 

Scott

25585 implied that the Delos eyepieces were not "comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces."  That seems odd, so I asked him whether he had tried the Delos line.  The Delos line ought to be as "comfy" as the DeLite line, yes?  Both lines supposedly have 20mm of eye relief.

#9 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:07 PM

Scott

The wider FOV was the main attraction of the Panoptic.  The wide-angle seeker / sweeper was something missing from my lineup.

I'd love to try a Delos, but there's not a focal length in a "need" area for me.  The next item on my eyepiece bucket list is a Pentax XW 5mm.

#10 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:04 AM

27mm Pan is perfect glasses on for me.

Very good choice for f/4.4 too.

I believe you will like it.

• vdog likes this

#11 25585

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:14 AM

Have you tried the Delos series?

Thank you.

Some. As with the 22mm T4 Nagler, I found exit pupil behaviour too finicky. Delites don't have that problem, its a shame TV's designers are not capable of designing eyeglasses-easy eyepieces apart for a couple of long FL 68°, a few long FL Plossls & a shorter FL range of 62° models.

Luckily there are other designers & brands that are capable.

Edited by 25585, 01 June 2020 - 04:15 AM.

• Heywood likes this

#12 25585

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:52 AM

25585 implied that the Delos eyepieces were not "comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces."  That seems odd, so I asked him whether he had tried the Delos line.  The Delos line ought to be as "comfy" as the DeLite line, yes?  Both lines supposedly have 20mm of eye relief.

Eye relief is part but not all of the features for easy viewing. Delites I find are more forgiving for eye placement than Delos.

For wider AFoV, with the comfort/ease of Delites, I find Baader Morpheus best in the 1.25" category, Pentax XWs 2nd best.   

• Heywood and clivemilne like this

#13 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:28 PM

Well, I had completely talked myself out of it.  I was totally prepared to go in another direction.  But, then, there it was in the classifieds, calling to me, beckoning me, singing its Siren song, haunting my mind.   I tried not to listen, but I'm only a man after all.

So, I did it anyway.  I bought my first 2" eyepiece, and, not incidentally, my first Televue:  the 27mm Panoptic.

While I had concerns (Exit pupil too big at f/4.4?  Eye relief enough for my glasses?), the beauty of buying used is that I can always flip it back without much loss.   I have a feeling, though, that--unlike those unfortunate sailors in Greek mythology--I won't regret it.  If nothing else, it should do nicely in whatever wide-angle f/5 RFT I end up going with.

I had to share because I'm actually pretty jacked about it.banjodance.gif  Oh, and I apologize for having called down the wrath of the cloud gods upon the west coast, but at least I did it during the brightest part of the lunar cycle.

Great eyepiece, but you will need a coma corrector because the 27mm Panoptic isn't good on it's own in short FL Newts.

• vdog likes this

#14 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:30 PM

Scott

That statement in bold is incorrect. The 25mm Meade HD-60 has much better correction than the 27mm Pan in fast telescopes if you don't use coma correction. I've owned both and can attest to that fact. My coma corrector stays in my 10" Orion XTi permanently.

Edited by Miranda2525, 01 June 2020 - 04:32 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#15 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

That statement in bold is incorrect. The 25mm Meade HD-60 has much better correction than the 27mm Pan in fast telescopes if you don't use coma correction. I've owned both and can attest to that fact. My coma corrector stays in my 10" Orion XTi permanently.

Good information, I was using a coma corrector at the time. And I was basing that on a different Panoptic. Bottom line the 25 HD-60 and the Panoptic are very well corrected in fast scopes, so the biggest difference will be FOV. Which sounds like that is the reason the OP got it.

Scott
  • 25585 likes this

#16 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

Great eyepiece, but you will need a coma corrector because the 27mm Panoptic isn't good on it's own in short FL Newts.

I've been using a GSO CC for awhile now.  That f/4 dob really puts it to the test, but I get decent correction.  I'll probably have to reconfigure the spacing settings once I get the Panoptic, though.

It's interesting that the HD-60 has better correction than the Panoptic.  I wonder, though, is that just because of the narrower AFOV?

Edited by vdog, 01 June 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• izar187 likes this

#17 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

Some of it is. But it could also be the optical design.

Scott
  • Miranda2525 and vdog like this

#18 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:51 PM

Good information, I was using a coma corrector at the time. And I was basing that on a different Panoptic. Bottom line the 25 HD-60 and the Panoptic are very well corrected in fast scopes, so the biggest difference will be FOV. Which sounds like that is the reason the OP got it.

Scott

I was basing my findings with and without coma correction, as I had tried both ways. the 27mm Pan is excellent when using coma correction. Sounds like your previous post was indeed about the 27mm Pan Vs 25mm Meade HD-60, even though you initially said, (not the 27), you said that the "Panoptic will likely be a little better, but probably just a subtle difference".

The 25mm Meade HD-60 has better correction. (60 degrees Vs 68 for the Panoptic if coma correction is not used). You are right, it could be the design.

Scott

#19 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:23 PM

The 27mm Pan was the very first TV eyepiece I tried as well.   It should fit nicely with your Morpheus lineup. 

I used mine with glasses and it has enough.  It is a little tighter than the Morpheus eyepieces and it will depend upon the shape of your glasses and where they sit on your nose. Sometimes when I am observing I realize my glasses have slid down my nose and I push them back up to gain back some eye relief.

Congratulations.  If you did not already have all those Morpheus eyepieces I would say you could be on your way to filling your case with TV.   I'll caution you about trying a DeLite - an action that can really create a crisis - for your wallet.  smile.gif

Edited by russell23, 02 June 2020 - 03:23 PM.

• vdog likes this

#20 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

The 27mm Pan was the very first TV eyepiece I tried as well.   It should fit nicely with your Morpheus lineup. 

I used mine with glasses and it has enough.  It is a little tighter than the Morpheus eyepieces and it will depend upon the shape of your glasses and where they sit on your nose. Sometimes when I am observing I realize my glasses have slid down my nose and I push them back up to gain back some eye relief.

Congratulations.  If you did not already have all those Morpheus eyepieces I would say you could be on your way to filling your case with TV.   I'll caution you about trying a DeLite - an action that can really create a crisis - for your wallet.  smile.gif

Thanks, good to know that about the glasses.  I'm always pushing my glasses back, especially as I frequently pull them down to aim the RDF.

I'd love to try a Delite, but next up on my wish list is a Pentax XW. grin.gif

• russell23 likes this

#21 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

Thanks, good to know that about the glasses.  I'm always pushing my glasses back, especially as I frequently pull them down to aim the RDF.

I'd love to try a Delite, but next up on my wish list is a Pentax XW. grin.gif

Just a little note from my own experience in using a 5mm XW: Eye placement is a tad tricky. I have also owned a 5.2mm Pentax XL and I found eye placement much easier. If 25585 chimes in, he will say the exact same as I did.

• 25585 and vdog like this

#22 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

I observed for many years with the Ethos line + the 27 Pan and it saw quite a bit of use due to its better eye relief. As time went on my astigmatism worsened, so I sold the Ethos eyepieces to fund the DeLites and Delos I now have. For me the 27mm is just a hair tight on eye relief, but not so bad as to make it problematic. I still use it quite a bit, and it is a favorite among the folks coming to my club's outreach events. I think you will be pleased with it....and I wish you good observing!

-Mark

• vdog likes this

#23 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

I observed for many years with the Ethos line + the 27 Pan and it saw quite a bit of use due to its better eye relief. As time went on my astigmatism worsened, so I sold the Ethos eyepieces to fund the DeLites and Delos I now have. For me the 27mm is just a hair tight on eye relief, but not so bad as to make it problematic. I still use it quite a bit, and it is a favorite among the folks coming to my club's outreach events. I think you will be pleased with it....and I wish you good observing!

-Mark

To you as well, and to all the other good folks out there on CN .

#24 25585

Cosmos

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

Just a little note from my own experience in using a 5mm XW: Eye placement is a tad tricky. I have also owned a 5.2mm Pentax XL and I found eye placement much easier. If 25585 chimes in, he will say the exact same as I did.

Yup. I tried a 5mm XW & it (& the 7mm XW) has awkward eye placement. The XLs 5.2 & 7 are as Miranda says much easier! Glad to have one of each. waytogo.gif

• Miranda2525 and vdog like this

#25 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Yup. I tried a 5mm XW & it (& the 7mm XW) has awkward eye placement. The XLs 5.2 & 7 are as Miranda says much easier! Glad to have one of each. waytogo.gif

That sounds great, but I might be waiting a looong time for an XL 5.2 to come up in the used market.  The most recent sale I can find in the classifieds was in 2018.

A Morpheus 4.5 is a more natural fit, but I wanted something with a little less magnification.  The Pentax is my latest obsession, but I could go in another direction.  Problem is, though, there don't seem to be many directions to go in if you want a wide-angle, long eye relief option around 5mm.

Edited by vdog, 03 June 2020 - 09:20 AM.

• Miranda2525 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics