•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What have I done? (First Televue!)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

That sounds great, but I might be waiting a looong time for an XL 5.2 to come up in the used market.  The most recent sale I can find in the classifieds was in 2018.

A Morpheus 4.5 is a more natural fit, but I wanted something with a little less magnification.  The Pentax is my latest obsession, but I could go in another direction.  Problem is, though, there don't seem to be many directions to go in if you want a wide-angle, long eye relief option around 5mm.

If you put up a wanted ad, you will find a 5.2mm Pentax XL in no time.  Someone will have one they may want to sell to get something in a newer style of eyepiece. People always want to try new pieces and may sell theirs to do so. flowerred.gif

Edited by Miranda2525, 03 June 2020 - 11:08 AM.

• vdog likes this

#27 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

Got both mine, & a XL 14mm on ebay.

All 6 Morpheus & 2 Delites brand new.

Donebuyin'

• vdog likes this

#28 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:33 PM

25585 implied that the Delos eyepieces were not "comfy easy viewing TV eyepieces."  That seems odd, so I asked him whether he had tried the Delos line.  The Delos line ought to be as "comfy" as the DeLite line, yes?  Both lines supposedly have 20mm of eye relief.

He has very "specific" requirements from eyepieces and tends to be rather dismissive of those that do not meet his particular needs wink.gif

Personally I find the Delos and 10mm and shorter Pentax XW's really relaxing and comfortable eyepieces to use.

Ethos as well as it happens. My needs are obviously not as complicated as some !

@vdog started this thread excited by his first Tele Vue purchase. Rightly so - they are superb eyepieces and I'm sure he will really enjoy using your 27mm Panoptic waytogo.gif

Pity that some folks decided to derail the thread to talk about their preferences rather than to share vdog's celebrations smirk.gif

Edited by John Huntley, 03 June 2020 - 09:46 PM.

• eros312 and vdog like this

#29 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:13 PM

Well there was congratulations, but it would have been a pretty short thread if that was it. So it wandered onto what eyepiece he might consider next, or at least that’s how I viewed it. He already has great eyepieces at other FLs though so it soon descended into I like this better than that. Pity maybe, but happens everyday in the eyepiece forum.

Two eyepieces can have 20mm ER but one be more sensitive to blackouts, etc. From reviews it sounds like Delite or XW are a little less finicky than Delos, but others say you just have to adjust the eyecup. Never owned a Delos and don’t know anyone with one so I can’t speak from experience. Generally XW seem to be regarded as some of the most comfortable eyepieces to look through, but then sure enough someone comes along and says they have trouble with eye placement with XW, so some of it seems to be personal preference. Consequently one person saying eye placement is finicky is not a reason to avoid the eyepiece. But sometimes there seems to be a consensus that eye placement is tricky, like the Vixen SSW. That is more when you should take it seriously. Not that I have a SSW, but considering all the other Vixen eyepieces I have owned, the eye placement issue is a contributing factor why I don’t.

Scott
  • russell23, telesonic and vdog like this

#30 25585

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:56 AM

35mm Panoptic, an excellent eyepiece if vdog wants to go wider & stay wit TV. It has better eye relief than the 27mm. 

My 35 has had its limelight stolen by an APM UFF 30mm, but the former is my Paracorr 2's partner in Newtonians for getting the setting, and wonderful widefield views. With a Paracorr, it's FL is a little closer to the APM without.  

#31 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:18 AM

@vdog started this thread excited by his first Tele Vue purchase. Rightly so - they are superb eyepieces and I'm sure he will really enjoy using your 27mm Panoptic waytogo.gif

Pity that some folks decided to derail the thread to talk about their preferences rather than to share vdog's celebrations smirk.gif

Thanks, I am looking forward to it.  And I'd say this thread got more diverted than derailed, and I'll take a little diversion in these deeply troubled times.

Edited by vdog, 04 June 2020 - 08:38 AM.

• telesonic and 25585 like this

#32 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:37 AM

35mm Panoptic, an excellent eyepiece if vdog wants to go wider & stay wit TV. It has better eye relief than the 27mm. 

My 35 has had its limelight stolen by an APM UFF 30mm, but the former is my Paracorr 2's partner in Newtonians for getting the setting, and wonderful widefield views. With a Paracorr, it's FL is a little closer to the APM without. 

I'm sure those are amazing eyepieces.  The APM in particular is one I've taken a long look at.  But right now I wouldn't have a scope to put them in.  The 16" f/4 is the only one with a 2" focuser, and I'm already pushing my exit pupil envelope with the 27, even with a coma corrector.  I zeroed in on that one because it was the widest field I could get with the largest exit pupil I figured I could handle.

Actually, 26 would have been better, but there was nothing at that focal length that was as good as the 27 Panoptic.

Edited by vdog, 04 June 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#33 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Yeah the 26 Nagler could have been nice for you if not discontinued. I went with a 24/82 ES but the 27 Panoptic might be better corrected.

Scott
  • vdog likes this

#34 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

Yeah the 26 Nagler could have been nice for you if not discontinued. I went with a 24/82 ES but the 27 Panoptic might be better corrected.

Scott

I didn't even know there had been a 26 Nagler.  Interesting that it never came up in any of my searches. 

#35 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

I didn't even know there had been a 26 Nagler.  Interesting that it never came up in any of my searches. 

The biggest drawback is that it only had 16mm of eye relief which was not enough for eyeglasses ... if you need glasses for astigmatism.  

Edited by russell23, 04 June 2020 - 10:37 AM.

• 25585 and vdog like this

#36 25585

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

I'm sure those are amazing eyepieces.  The APM in particular is one I've taken a long look at.  But right now I wouldn't have a scope to put them in.  The 16" f/4 is the only one with a 2" focuser, and I'm already pushing my exit pupil envelope with the 27, even with a coma corrector.  I zeroed in on that one because it was the widest field I could get with the largest exit pupil I figured I could handle.

Actually, 26 would have been better, but there was nothing at that focal length that was as good as the 27 Panoptic.

That is where IMO, TFOV is very important. It always is for me as I manually track, and shorter FL with wider AFOV, gives a more practical exit pupil.

PS My requirements are not "specific" optically, in fact you will not read any condemnation of optical performance, I am very tolerant there.

But I do believe that every eyepiece should be designed to have a minimum of 20mm effective eye relief and sufficient raised eye cup height for those who want cheek to rubber contact, not wearing glasses. Those that fall short don't get bought! I vote with my money.    

Edited by 25585, 04 June 2020 - 04:08 PM.

• vdog likes this

#37 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:34 PM

Heya vdog....

I feel the same way. I ordered my first Televue back on the 30th, and it just showed up today. Guess what happened since then....

cloudy.gif  

You bet, I'm stoked too. Until now I've been using mostly older used Japan made Meade 4k Plössls, and a few 68 degree gold lines.... and they work alright.

Realistically though, when I'm out observing I might use 3 to 5 eyepieces, and maybe a barlow.... (yep, I dig a fine barlow) depending on the scope... so I've been thinking about slimming my EP kit down - and starting a smaller kit with brand new oculars just seems right. I still use some old .965's that I like.... so that's another case. 

I picked the 19mm Pan mainly for low mag in my f/3.6 Comet Catcher. The 19 should also be around 100X in the C8 SCT. A good mid range I think. Can't wait for some clear skies to do some observing with the scopes again.

Cheers,

T

• vdog likes this

#38 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

Heya vdog....

I feel the same way. I ordered my first Televue back on the 30th, and it just showed up today. Guess what happened since then....

cloudy.gif  

You bet, I'm stoked too. Until now I've been using mostly older used Japan made Meade 4k Plössls, and a few 68 degree gold lines.... and they work alright.

Realistically though, when I'm out observing I might use 3 to 5 eyepieces, and maybe a barlow.... (yep, I dig a fine barlow) depending on the scope... so I've been thinking about slimming my EP kit down - and starting a smaller kit with brand new oculars just seems right. I still use some old .965's that I like.... so that's another case. 

I picked the 19mm Pan mainly for low mag in my f/3.6 Comet Catcher. The 19 should also be around 100X in the C8 SCT. A good mid range I think. Can't wait for some clear skies to do some observing with the scopes again.

Cheers,

T

Mine came in yesterday.  I'm targeting tomorrow night for first light on it, although that will be mostly just to try it out and configure the spacing on my coma corrector before the moon washes everything out. I should have everything ready to go just in time for the turning of the lunar cycle though. 

I did some slimming down too as I went from a larger collection of eight pretty good eyepieces to five really nice ones.  The addition of the Panoptic gives me that seeker / sweeper / starhopper I've been missing since paring down though.  Six for the 16" is where I'll stop, although I'll have a couple more that are for my other scopes.

Enjoy your 19 Panoptic, but I have to warn you that upgrading is addictive.  Once you've gotten used to say, good Belgian ales, it's hard to go back to the bottom-of-the-store-fridge lagers. grin.gif

Edited by vdog, 05 June 2020 - 09:25 AM.

• eros312, telesonic and 25585 like this

#39 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:04 AM

That sounds great, but I might be waiting a looong time for an XL 5.2 to come up in the used market.  The most recent sale I can find in the classifieds was in 2018.

A Morpheus 4.5 is a more natural fit, but I wanted something with a little less magnification.  The Pentax is my latest obsession, but I could go in another direction.  Problem is, though, there don't seem to be many directions to go in if you want a wide-angle, long eye relief option around 5mm.

I find the XW5 much better than the XL5.2 in my day-light use - better coatings and larger AFOV. Regarding eye-position is just a matter of adjusting the eye-cup for your optimal position - probably a problem for those that use eps with the eye-cup always on the lower position...question.gif

The Morpheus 4.5 has less eye-relief than the XW5 http://www.pt-ducks....f 5mm eyepiecesand I have to press my eye-glasses against it to avoid black-outs so not so comfortable as the XW5...

• vdog likes this

#40 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:43 AM

I find the XW5 much better than the XL5.2 in my day-light use - better coatings and larger AFOV. Regarding eye-position is just a matter of adjusting the eye-cup for your optimal position - probably a problem for those that use eps with the eye-cup always on the lower position...question.gif

The Morpheus 4.5 has less eye-relief than the XW5 http://www.pt-ducks....f 5mm eyepiecesand I have to press my eye-glasses against it to avoid black-outs so not so comfortable as the XW5...

According to the specs, the Morpheus 4.5 has the exact same eye relief as the 6.5 (17.5mm), which is tight but manageable for me, although the 20mm of the Pentax would certainly be better.

A lot of this is just me wanting to try out a Pentax XW.  I have some more gear re-shuffling to do, so I'll be patient on this one.

Edited by vdog, 07 June 2020 - 10:06 AM.

#41 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

I got a little time in with the Panoptic last night.  Very sharp across the field, almost all the way to the very edge, and how nice to have such a wide field in the 16".  Eye relief was a little tight but I did have sufficient room for my glasses.  No issues with exit pupil either; the stars were bright and the field was black as it should be.

I'm going to really enjoy this eyepiece. waytogo.gif 

• izar187, eros312, russell23 and 4 others like this

#42 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

Hey vdog,

Sounds like a winner!  I was concerned about the Panoptic and eye relief.... I don't currently wear glasses, but I will probably need to get a re-check before my next DL renew. I know that my 19mm will have a much shorter ER  @ roughly 13mm than your 27 Pan, which is 19mm ER. That is something that I may need to keep in mind.

Haven't got a real first light test on mine yet, with work and clouds and all - I did do a quick daytime test in a 50mm finder, and the views were good. Pincushion, but

understandable and well known. The real test will be with the Comet Catcher (and that will also test my collimation @ F3.6) hopefully this weekend if the earth's weather in my locale isn't being so weird. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 

Cheers,

T

• vdog likes this

#43 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

Hey vdog,

Sounds like a winner!  I was concerned about the Panoptic and eye relief.... I don't currently wear glasses, but I will probably need to get a re-check before my next DL renew. I know that my 19mm will have a much shorter ER  @ roughly 13mm than your 27 Pan, which is 19mm ER. That is something that I may need to keep in mind.

Haven't got a real first light test on mine yet, with work and clouds and all - I did do a quick daytime test in a 50mm finder, and the views were good. Pincushion, but

understandable and well known. The real test will be with the Comet Catcher (and that will also test my collimation @ F3.6) hopefully this weekend if the earth's weather in my locale isn't being so weird. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 

Cheers,

T

Got it out for a real workout last night.  The more I use it, the more I like it.   Very bright, sharp, contrasty field.   I wasn't able to parfocalize it with the Morpheus set I have, but that's a minor inconvenience.  Sweeping the Milky Way with it is intense.

• izar187 and 25585 like this

#44 25585

Cosmos

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

27, 28mm is a good focal length IMO. I used an ES Maxvision/Meade SWA 5000 28mm (best in that range) before getting an APM 30mm UFF, both comfy for long term viewing & not too heavy. I imagine the ES68 28mm is similar.  

Edited by 25585, 09 June 2020 - 07:51 PM.

#45 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 11 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

i used to own Exsplore scientific EP only kept one which is the 40mm 68 degree very good.however since I sold my other ES for Televue I noticed colour was so much more apparent (it was,nt spot the difference kind of moment) and that was with the panoptic 27mm I’ve now purchased the 15.3 mm,10mm delos I haven’t thoroughly tested them yet but the other thing I noticed with Televue that just seem to handle higher powers better than any other eyepieces I’ve owned 

#46 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Modesto, CA USA

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:16 PM

I got a little time in with the Panoptic last night.  Very sharp across the field, almost all the way to the very edge, and how nice to have such a wide field in the 16".  Eye relief was a little tight but I did have sufficient room for my glasses.  No issues with exit pupil either; the stars were bright and the field was black as it should be.

I'm going to really enjoy this eyepiece. waytogo.gif

A possible downside is that you may become "spoiled"  by the physical and optical quality level of that TV eyepiece.

An awful lot of lesser quality (less expensive)  EP's might seem cheap and uninspiring hereafter.

Welcome to 'the club'  ;-)

Edited by Thomas_M44, 12 June 2020 - 09:17 PM.

• vdog likes this

#47 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

A possible downside is that you may become "spoiled"  by the physical and optical quality level of that TV eyepiece.

It's become the class of my kit for sure, and that's saying something.  I'm glad I spent the extra money.  This is a focal length I'll probably use every time I'm out, so it was worth the investment.

• eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics