•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where to buy used steel pipe pier hopefully with flanges on the ends for Telescope mount

mount observatory astrophotography equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robertnel

robertnel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

Can you suggest what kind of businesses to inquire about a 10" steel pipe about 3 feet long ideally with a flange on one or both ends. Ideally at scrap yard, remodeling,  recycled or remnant to minimize cost. This is for an above ground telescope pier to connect to the below ground concrete pier.  Something I can lift and install by myself would be ideal. I live in the Pacific Northwest of USA. Because of shipping costs, I am thinking local pick up would be least expensive.

I am dreaming of something like in the attached picture.

Thanks.

Clear skys!

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

No picture posted.

I went to a local junk yard and they had several sections of pipe that is used to lift elevators from below. Very strong. I purchased a section and had it cut at a local machine shop to the size I wanted and they also welded the ends and cut holes.  Just over $100 total cost. 

Attached Thumbnails

• scrap.jpg
  • Pier3.jpg

• robertnel and dhkaiser like this

#3 robertnel

robertnel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

Here is the picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• Metal Pier 2020-05-30 152501.JPG

#4 robertnel

robertnel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

No picture posted.

I went to a local junk yard and they had several sections of pipe that is used to lift elevators from below. Very strong. I purchased a section and had it cut at a local machine shop to the size I wanted and they also welded the ends and cut holes.  Just over $100 total cost. 

That's a great suggestion.  Thanks!smile.gif 

#5 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Yes, I'd also recommend a local scrap yard, or any metal recycler should have some lengths of pipe. They will usually sell it to you for scrap price.

If not, the more expensive route is the farm / industrial Irrigation Supply sector. Our local place is Agri-Lines, and you may have something similar in your area. They usually do have weld-on flanges as well, but for pipe and flanges in 10" diameter I'm not certain.

• robertnel likes this

#6 robertnel

robertnel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:31 AM

On Saturday I visited the metal remnant and scrap yard.

I came back with the two remnant pipe pieces in the picture.
I got an 8.5" OD x 33" tall x .15" wall steel pipe for $85 and the  6.67" OD x 11" tall x .25 " wall steel pipe for  $10.20.

My design is also attached.  All parts are steel. Comments welcome.

I chose the 1/4" plate metal because it is closer to the pipe thickness for easier welding.

Next step is to get the plate metal from remnants and then drill out the holes and find a welder.
Except the top plate that attaches to the telescope needs more design. Then if I only had a machine shop.
Maybe someone has an old pier adapter I can buy for my Orion atlas mount?

Attached Thumbnails

• Two Pier Pipes rfs.jpg
  • Pier Design 1 rfs.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, observatory, astrophotography, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics