•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will this setup work?

astrophotography beginner equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PollAirUs

PollAirUs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minas Gerais, Brasil

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

Hi folks,

Well, I haven't started astrophotography yet, I've been researching for the best equipment to buy in the tight budget I'm on for about 4 months.

I'm thinking of buying the ZWO ASI224MC to be able to take some All Sky photos. But from what I've read about this camera, it's good for planets and small DSOs only, like galaxies and supernovae. But I wonder why it doesn't work well for some "wide-field" shots (not so wide, something around 70mm with a normal DSLR. So, I could mount the ASI224 with a DSLR lens on my SW Star Adventurer for example, and take shots like a DSLR!

So that's it, would a setup like the one below, but using the ASi224 mounted on a Star Tracker work? If not, why?

OBS: This photo and equipment does not belongs to me, I just took it as an example in this topic. The photo originally belongs to this topic https://www.cloudyni...eld-mono-setup/

Attached Thumbnails

• Setup.jpg

Edited by PollAirUs, 31 May 2020 - 09:57 PM.

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

It will work.  Just like a "cropped sensor" camera gives a smaller field of view then a "full frame" camera with the same lens, a planetary camera's small sensor will give you a smaller field of view.  You will have trouble getting some DSOs to fit in the frame.

The smaller pixels tend to be less sensitive than larger pixels, which may cause issues when trying to catch as many photons as possible from faint fuzzies.

The wide field setup you illustrated will give a wide field of view, just not as wide as another camera would.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

Per picture, it looks to me that such arrangement violates the lens' flange back distance.  (Nikon is 46.5mm.)

It means the astroCMOS imager's image plane to lens' flange exceed the rated distance thus will not reach infinity focus.

(It became a macro lens.)

#4 PollAirUs

PollAirUs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minas Gerais, Brasil

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

It will work.  Just like a "cropped sensor" camera gives a smaller field of view then a "full frame" camera with the same lens, a planetary camera's small sensor will give you a smaller field of view.  You will have trouble getting some DSOs to fit in the frame.

The smaller pixels tend to be less sensitive than larger pixels, which may cause issues when trying to catch as many photons as possible from faint fuzzies.

The wide field setup you illustrated will give a wide field of view, just not as wide as another camera would.

Oh, I see, so I would need a UV / IR cut filter and more images with a longer exposure time to compensate for this lower sensitivity of the smaller pixels, right?

Per picture, it looks to me that such arrangement violates the lens' flange back distance.  (Nikon is 46.5mm.)

It means the astroCMOS imager's image plane to lens' flange exceed the rated distance thus will not reach infinity focus.

(It became a macro lens.)

Well, actually, I was planning to use this type of lens initially

Camera with lens.jpg

For more details about it https://astronomy-im...2-8mm-12mm-f1-4

Edited by PollAirUs, 31 May 2020 - 07:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics