•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10th Day Moon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

From Plato, SE to Copernicus, Tycho and Clavius...details are easy to see:

Attached Thumbnails

• D1AF5E98-9EAD-4C9A-AA7B-77D79666CF0A.jpeg

• Kenny V., John_Moore, Kutno and 7 others like this

#2 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:51 AM

Very nice

#3 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

Oh. You beat me to it, D Rohrman. 

Well, not really.  lol.gif

I was planning on doing a report of most of the lunar features that I observed on Sunday evening 31st May 2020 for a full 2 hours. 

For the record I own William Optics 158 mm F/7 apochromatic refractor which is placed on a Berlebach Planet alt-az mount. 

My magnification was 112X at all times.  The gibbous moon was 9 days old (10th day) as Rohrman says. Had a magnitude of -11. 

Its distance was 363,493 kms. And its angular diameter was 32.8'. 

Straight away I observed my favourite lunar feature Rupes Recta which is some 110 km long. Craters 17 km Birt , 6.8 km Birt A are both next to RR.

The man they now think invented the telescope Lippershey - his 6.8 km crater was visible and 5 km Lippershey T. They are so small.

Other craters I observed were 97 km Pitatus and 18 km Pitatus G, 43 km Hesiodus, 15 km Hesiodus A, 66 km Weiss, 17 km Weiss E. 41 km Cichus was in very close to the moon's terminator. Therefore its centre was in darkness. Its satellite craters 21 km A, 14 km B and 11 km C were viewed. Sorry to discover the man whose full name was Francesco degli Stabili and whose name is on this set of craters was burned at the stake in Florence for some heresy in 1327.

The centre of 61 km crater Bullialdus had very little of the Sun's light fully inside it appeared very nice. Its satellite craters 26 km A and 21 km looked very good also.

44 km crater Kies with its little "beard" looked very well along with its satellite craters 16 km A, 9 km B and 6 km E.

I had never noticed the 180 km fault Rupes Mercator before. It's at the south end of Mare Nubium. 

A 44 km flooded crater named after a Polish astronomer called Stanisluas Lubiniezky who studied the movements of some 415 comets has a flooded crater named after him. 

I could make out 2 central peaks inside the 93 km crater Copernicus. There are always spectacular to see. 

The 2 other craters nearby 12.1 km Fauth and 9.6 km Fauth A certainly do look like a keyhole. 

Rima Gay-Lussac looked very sharp just north of Copernicus. Its length is 40 km. 

I did observe a lot on this particular night with regards the Moon. 

So let me finish with 3 small satellite craters near Mons Pico and Mons Pico Beta. 

I had difficulty who do they "belong" to. 

Wikipedia sorted me out. 

They are 12 km Mons Pico B, 7 km Mons Pico D and 9 km Mons Pico E. 

Thank you for reading. 

Clear skies, 

Aubrey.  

• DRohrman likes this

#4 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

Your photo is a reminder of the fine time I had last night, comparing some eyepieces on a beautiful Moon through a steady atmosphere.  The instrument used was a 6" F/8 Dob.  Things went so well that even though 400x could be sustained, most of the session was spent at 343x.  Best night out, so far, this year.  Dwelled a lot in and around Clavius, Copernicus, and Plato.  Wonderful detail, at high powers!

• John_Moore, flt158 and DRohrman like this

#5 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

Fabulous, not to mention, scholarly, Aubrey!

• flt158 likes this

#6 Mark-Stothard

Mark-Stothard

Lift Off

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

Beautiful image. Thanks for sharing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics