•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon+Plane Military?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:09 PM

Hi All,

Caught this by accident on Saturday.  Didn't even know I have it until I looked at the movie later that night.  This is a screen grab the I messed around with in PS to bring it out a little more.  Does anyone know what type of plane this is?  I thought it looked like a military plane but I really don't know planes.  I thought someone here might know.

Thanks for looking,

Attached Thumbnails

• MOON-PLANE.jpg

• Kenny V., PhotonJohn, troyt and 5 others like this

#2 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:21 PM

Yes. It's an Air Force KC-135, an aircraft that refuels other aircraft in flight.

STARKID2U

• PhotonJohn, kbev, JamesMStephens and 2 others like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

Sorta reminds me of this, from my family archives...    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 70 Erika plane.jpg

• gfstallin, wrnchhead and sunnyday like this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:59 PM

Could be a J-Star surveillance military jet. We see them in Melbourne Fl frequently.

J-Star.jpg

Edited by PhotonJohn, 01 June 2020 - 12:07 AM.

#5 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:08 AM

It's a J-Star military jet. We see them in Melbourne Fl frequently.

I don't see the belly bulge so I am guessing it is the KC-135 Thomas imaged:

kc-135-stratotanker_009.jpg

• PhotonJohn and gfstallin like this

#6 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:13 AM

I don't see the belly bulge so I am guessing it is the KC-135 Thomas imaged:

attachicon.gifkc-135-stratotanker_009.jpg

You're correct, I didn't see the boom sticking out of the tail in Thomas's image the first time I looked. Very Nice image by the way.

Edited by PhotonJohn, 01 June 2020 - 07:43 AM.

#7 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

Starkid2u & MiKiSJ: Thanks for the help.

PhotoJohn:  I still don't see the boom?  Does it get folded up under the aircraft when not in use?  This is a frame grab from the movie I took but I'm happy with it.  I was just taking a short movie after missing the ISS crossing the Moon from my location because of the clouds.  Just scrolled cross the Moon before shutting down.  I just wish I had just gone a smidge more to the left.  I was hanging up the controller when it passed didn't even see it until I looked at the movie later that night.  Second time I accidentally caught a plane near the Moon. 

#8 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

KC-135 Stratotanker refueling aircraft likely out of (relatively) nearby McGuire Air Force Base. 108th wing of the New Jersey National Guard. The fueling boom mostly reinserts into the airplane once fueling is complete, but a bit sticks out, and that is evident here. Note the black nose cone as well. It looks like you picked up the warning light/strip down the middle of the fuselage. It is for increased visibility for refueling. That entire process is dangerous. You also captured the boom operator bulge near the tail of the plane. 

You should send folks at the 108th wing your photo. Give them the approximate location, date and time of the capture. They'll know who was flying. I'm sure the photo will make its way to the pilots. They would get a kick out it. That is a view I doubt they ever get. 

Great photo.

George

Edited by gfstallin, 01 June 2020 - 09:11 PM.

• eros312 and TOMDEY like this

#9 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

very nice shot .

thanks .

#10 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

I still don't see the boom?  Does it get folded up under the aircraft when not in use?  

Yes, it gets folded up against the tail section of the aircraft:

fuel_boom.jpg

#11 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

KC-135 Stratotanker refueling aircraft likely out of (relatively) nearby McGuire Air Force Base. 108th wing of the New Jersey National Guard. The fueling boom mostly reinserts into the airplane once fueling is complete, but a bit sticks out, and that is evident here. Note the black nose cone as well. It looks like you picked up the warning light/strip down the middle of the fuselage. It is for increased visibility for refueling. That entire process is dangerous. You also captured the boom operator bulge near the tail of the plane. 

You should send folks at the 108th wing your photo. Give them the approximate location, date and time of the capture. They'll know who was flying. I'm sure the photo will make its way to the pilots. They would get a kick out it. That is a view I doubt they ever get. 

Great photo.

George

Yeah! My daughter's been on the receiving end of that transfer and has some harrowing anecdotes. And, when you need that fuel... you really need that fuel! I think it's pretty awesome. Me. I was in the Navy... and we had other brands of harrowing...

And yes... super picture! Over the years, I snagged one plane crossing the moon and one crossing the sun... the 1st one actually saw it approaching, so asked my Son to snap the shutter, knowing that he's a better marksman, and doesn't choke under pressure. The solar one, I just got lucky, while taking pictures. We're country, so planes are "at altitude" in our skies.    Tom

• gfstallin likes this

#12 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

Please do that. I am sure it will find a place on the wall of some ready room.

When I was on the Connie (Yankee Station - 1966) we had a small squadron of A-3Bs that served as 'The Great Big Texaco Whale'. I cannot imagine trying to fly an A-4 or F-4 behind one of those A-3Bs. The stability of the KC-135 must be a joy to the fighter pilots who fuel up behind the much, much larger 135.  

• gfstallin likes this

#13 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

Ever drive off from a filling station and forget to put the hose back - ruins the moment for the car behind you.

Now, imagine you are first or second in line from Attack Squadron Sixty-Five and you have just flown off in your A6 Intruder after fueling from the A3B leaving the rest of your squadron SOL trying to get home!

A6Nozzle.jpg

This is from my ship's (USS Constellation CVA-64) 1966 WestPac Cruise Book.

I am the good looking guy, third from the right sitting on the wing of an F-4B waiting to get paid. https://www.navysite...cv64-66/044.htm

Edited by MikiSJ, 02 June 2020 - 11:09 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#14 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Vostok 1

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

Nice shot! Definitely a KC-135. Spent many moonless or cloudy nights struggling to get gas behind them.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics