•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wikipedia type Atlas of universe anyone knows of? Want to make one?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 caseyfinn

caseyfinn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso Texas

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

While reading Astronomy Magazine today I ran across a wonderful map like image of the universe and the annotations Said this was only 6% of the maps 800,000 individual photos. It was amazing. 9D2405B9-DDF5-4FB4-93D5-842B5B551F8E.jpeg I got to thinking that wouldn’t it be wonderful if we all had a block ledger type map of the universe where us amateurs could both contribute to it’s creation and have access to at our leisure. Maybe be able to see the compilation of millions of images contributing to create a never ending digital atlas of our universe we could actually see in 2D or 3D with a projector or other display mechanism like VR Headset. Image how productive a couple thousand of us could be, globally, at contributing surveys from our observatories or backyards all to open map stored on the cloud. I’m not sure this isn’t already being done, wipe egg off, but I haven’t heard of it or at least the free to use part. At any rate, creating an open source free to use map of the universe, in color would certainly be a great resource for getting all kinds of people interested in space and science. I would certainly love to go and explore the universe in color sooner rather than later and this isn’t really all that far fetched of an idea.

Thoughts?

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:12 AM

WIKISKY.ORG

#3 spereira

spereira

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

Moving to Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media.

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics