•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 6se no response 17

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrdan80

mrdan80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

Ok i am new at this... But i bought my celestron nexstar 6se back in 2011 and i have never update the software on the telescope or the hand control. So i decided to start trying to learn to use. I went on the celestron website and downloaded the HCupdates for my hand control and it did update. However i tried to download from CFM to my telescope and it says cant find device. I have an hp laptop windows 10 and i have the hand controller plugged in at the jack that goes to my laptop. Like i said i used this cable to download my HPupdates and it worked. I checked the power for the telescope and it has plenty so i don't know why i would be getting a reading of that. Now if i have the jack plugged in on the handcontroller i don't get that code, Its only when i plug it into the aux mount on the scope. In short i just want to have the most current update on my telescope and i can't seem to get my laptop to find my telescope. Sorry for the long text can someone please help me. 

#2 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

These are the folks you want to ask all things Celestron

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:23 PM

You can read here for more information: https://www.nexstars.../NoResponse.htm

The nexstarsite is great place for Celestron information.

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:48 AM

Both 16 and 17 mean no communication with one of the main drive boards.

"Fix" may be:

Use a better power supply, they really dislike low voltage and current.

Check the pin connectors on the cables, clean them and look for any that could be causing poor contact.

Same at the socket bit if you can get at them easily - not always possible, also a contact wire in there can break.

After that the next is to redo the download. But I suggest not using a Win 10 PC. Or making some changes to the comms.

The download for the scopes started in the days of 9600 and 19200 rate. You are pushing down at USB 2 or 3 rates, simply way too fast. Drop the USB rate to as low as you can. Ask which cable and drivers as best for USB to Serial. Seems to be 2 and 1 works the other doesn't.

If you expect to do updates I would seriously consider buying a $25 serial board for the PC. It has to be easier.

The old serial never did a package download confirmation so when the data streams down too fast bits get lost and there is no handshake to say resend. So the result is installation of invalid firmware.

16 and 17 were common on Skywatcher and seems now to be getting common on Celestron, you are about the 3rd in 4-6 weeks.

Guess this shouldn't be in Outreach either, just the wrong place.

Edited by sg6, 02 June 2020 - 12:57 AM.

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:07 AM

After that the next is to redo the download. But I suggest not using a Win 10 PC. Or making some changes to the comms.

The download for the scopes started in the days of 9600 and 19200 rate. You are pushing down at USB 2 or 3 rates, simply way too fast. Drop the USB rate to as low as you can. Ask which cable and drivers as best for USB to Serial. Seems to be 2 and 1 works the other doesn't.

If you expect to do updates I would seriously consider buying a $25 serial board for the PC. It has to be easier.

The old serial never did a package download confirmation so when the data streams down too fast bits get lost and there is no handshake to say resend. So the result is installation of invalid firmware.

I have used Windows 10 to update Celestron scopes many times. There is no problem there. Don't worry about it.

I also have never run into a speed problem with the USB to serial cables.

He's right, the old package download manager would sometimes fail to download the entire package from the Internet, or upload the entire thing to the scope. You had to check the file size yourself to make sure. The current one doesn't have that issue.

#6 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

Moved to Celestron Forum for better fit.

Dave

• Jim Davis likes this

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:25 AM

Another vote to read through Mike's website info on the SEs and the firmware updates.

First off, you could simply not plug the HC into the AUX port and ignore any possible firmware upgrades and often just go and use your scope by backing out of the error message (but I also understand why it would be good to clear up any intermittent problems) .

How did you verify that the mount is getting plenty of power? Borderline power going to the motor controller board in the mount is easily the #1 cause for intermittent NR errors.

If you are bent on upgrading the firmware (and are still getting intermittent NR errors) you can try a few things out.

Firmware - Since you used HCupdate to do the original hand controller update you have a v4 (NexStar* and not the + model) hand controller ... so you won't use the CFM utility at all for the HC and I wouldn't use if for the MC firmware updates either. The latest firmware for your hand controller is NXS4.22.

I would run the Version command (under Utilities) to verify what you currently have and to see if both of your motor controllers show up as well (with a solid NR17 error one might not, but with intermittent NR errors they will likely both show up just fine ... but it would be interesting to see never the less).

For the motor controller firmware changes you will use the older MCupdate.exe utility. It connects through the same USB-serial to hand controller serial connection that HCupdate used. But before doing the MC firmware I'd have a look at something a little bit deeper within the mount (it's not a good idea to do a firmware upgrade if you suspect an intermittent connection)

Hardware - Plugging the hand controller into either the hand controller connector or the AUX connector should not make a difference but I have seen (on different mounts) where adding or removing a connector from a seemingly unrelated port has caused or cleared up NR errors ... I suspect a bit of a noisy ground is involved. Normally cleaning connections fixes this type of intermittent issue. "Cleaning" can simply be just carefully inspecting, pulling/re attaching all the connectors on the boards or also spraying a little contact cleaner on them when you pulled/re attached the connectors.

Firmware again - Once you've done that physical check stuff then go on to doing the MC firmware updates with MCupdate.exe. You may find that you already have the latest MC firmware (it hasn't changed much for SE mounts over the years). But reflashing both motor controllers might be a helpful step in troubleshooting the NR errors. With a possible intermittent connection still present there is some risk in doing the firmware update, but if you've gone through the connectors and still want to tackle the annoying NR error message the addressing the firmware is probably a reasonable next step.

Edited by mclewis1, 02 June 2020 - 11:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics