•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on QHY-ZWO combination

astrophotography accessories equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:38 PM

Hey guys.

I need some advice.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a mono camera. My preference is a ZWO, but getting my hands on a ZWO is complicated ATM, import rules and lockdowns that get in the way, with no local ZWO dealer, but I have a local dealer that can bring a QHY 163M. AFAIK, that's pretty equivalent to a ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro... right?

Right now, I think that camera is the best choice under my budgetary and image scale constraints, so it's almost a no-brainer. Except that it's quite a bit of dough, so I want to make sure I'll be able to make all the equipment work together.

You can check my sig for details, but I already have a ZWO guide cam I also use for planetary from time to time, and since I'll be needing a filter wheel for the 163M I was considering a QHYCFW3-S-SR. My main imaging scope is a newt, though I'm also "building" a small refractor setup. Both have FF/CC that require 55mm of backfocus. Any of you guys have any experience with that combo? From my research on the subject, it seems I need a few small extension tubes to get to the right spacing, but I'm not exactly sure just how much. All the documentation mentions the QHYCFW2 which has slightly different thickness it would seem.

Also, since I already own a ZWO guide/planetary cam, I was hoping I'd be able to use the same CFW for planetary work (changing filters by hand in a rush is quite a mess). I was wondering whether there might be issues getting the QHYCFW paired to the ZWO. All the documentation available always mentions QHYCCD + QHYCFW or ZWO CCD + ZWO CFW, but I haven't seen anyone mix them, or at least I couldn't find no mention of that. Has anyone had any experience with that? I wouldn't want to have to get 2 CFW, it would kinda suck.

Edited by klaussius, 01 June 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

I doubt there would be anything wrong by mixing ZWO/QHY if you are running everything through ASCOM.  I generally use a ZWO 183mm/EFW and QHY guidecam with zero problems.  I have even heard some trouble using the same brand for imaging and guidecam, with PHD2 confusing the two, and then using the imaging cam instead of the guidecam for guiding.  I do not think this is prevalent, and would probably be a setup issue.

There are issues of mixing QHY, if you are using a ASIAIR instead of a PC.

#3 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

Thanks. Definitely driver issues with both running at the same time crossed my mind, but it was not my primary concern.

I'm mostly concerned with coupling the QHYCFW to the ZWO for planetary stuff. Ie, whether they would mechanically fit together.

#4 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:17 AM

Ok, I ended up pulling the trigger on it. On the diagrams it looks like it should work, but I guess I'll find out for sure when it arrives.

Even if it doesn't, I just realized using the ZWO for planetary isn't really necessary since the 163M can do it as well, so it I can't use the more sensitive ZWO for planetary it's not the end of the world.

I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives. Fun times ahead.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, accessories, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics