•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 12" EMC Classic current software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:56 PM

I have a LX200 Classic EMC 12". I'm looking at buying SkySafari 6 Pro and installing it on my iPad Air (Version 12.4.7) and a Serial WiFi Adapter - RS232 (US Converters WA232E).
Has anyone else used this WiFi adapter? Also, any thoughts on another software similar to SkySafari 6 pro? I understand that with IOS and in night mode, there is a situation where as the edges of the screen may I be red.

#2 JohnBear

JohnBear

Messenger

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

I, too, am starting a similar LX200 EMC project except I plan to use the Orion SkySeek Wifi with Android and/or Windows 10 PC to control the telescope. Advice and relevant links from anyone who has used this kind of setup before would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

#3 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

John, I also found this setup, which is what I was talking about above I may try this setup.
https://www.cloudyni...l-wifi-adapter/

#4 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:58 AM

I built my own Bluetooth interface to control an Autostar 497  and I'm using Sky Safari on my tablet. Since your using IOS  then WIFI is the way to go since Apple requires their own version of Bluetooth but WIFI is generic. Sky Safari works well to control the mount, just that the accuracy of the pointing is determined by how well you first do it with the hand controller. Sky Safari is not doing any type of two star conversion with the Meade mounts just sending it commands to point the scope to  the objects you select with the understanding that it has been correctly aligned using the handcontroller. Sky Safari is very nice thou since you can see all the objects you might want to observe and just tab on them to slew the  scope to that position. That is much nicer then scrolling through menus on  the hand controller and pushing buttons to select objects. 

- Dave 

BT to RS232 adapter.jpg

#5 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:24 PM

»
LX200 12" EMC Classic current software
Like This
Surferjoee's PhotoSurferjoee
02 Jun 2020
I have a LX200 Classic EMC 12". I'm looking at buying SkySafari 6 Pro and installing it on my iPad Air (Version 12.4.7) and a Serial WiFi Adapter - RS232 (US Converters WA232E).
Has anyone else used this WiFi adapter? Also, any thoughts on another software similar to SkySafari 6 pro? I understand that with IOS and in night mode, there is a situation where as the edges of the screen may I be red.
Like This
JohnBear's PhotoJohnBear
02 Jun 2020
I, too, am starting a similar LX200 EMC project except I plan to use the Orion SkySeek Wifi with Android and/or Windows 10 PC to control the telescope. Advice and relevant links from anyone who has used this kind of setup before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Like This
02 Jun 2020
John, I also found this setup, which is what I was talking about above I may try this setup.
https://www.cloudyni...l-wifi-adapter/
Like This
DAVIDG's PhotoDAVIDG
Today, 03:58 PM
I built my own Bluetooth interface to control an Autostar 497 and I'm using Sky Safari on my tablet. Since your using IOS then WIFI is the way to go since Apple requires their own version of Bluetooth but WIFI is generic. Sky Safari works well to control the mount, just that the accuracy of the pointing is determined by how well you first do it with the hand controller. Sky Safari is not doing any type of two star conversion with the Meade mounts just sending it commands to point the scope to the objects you select with the understanding that it has been correctly aligned using the handcontroller. Sky Safari is very nice thou since you can see all the objects you might want to observe and just tab on them to slew the scope to that position. That is much nicer then scrolling through menus on the hand controller and pushing buttons to select objects.

- Dave

BT to RS232 adapter.jpg

Like This
Today, 09:20 PM
That's great Dave.
I paid for the SkySafari pro 6 and installed it on my iPad Air, which is about 2 years old. iOS 12+. l'm impressed with all of the features. I've heard that some people experience an issue in "night mode" whereas the edges are not red, I'm not experiencing this problem.
I have an RS232 (female) cable to my classic LS200 panel. I also have an RS232/USB cable for laptop connection but since I'm going to use my iPad air and the wifi, the USB will only used if I ever need my laptop i.e. imager to PC possibly.

For alignment, what if I use the 2 star alignment on my handset then connect to the SkySafari?
Your thoughts.

Thanks David, I like your setup!

#6 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

You setup for LX200 and align it using the 2 star method in the hand paddle then connect with Sky Safari.  When you do you get a pointer on the screen that show were the scope is pointed and it moves when you move the scope. There are also  Arrow controls in Sky Safari that you can use to slew the scope instead of the buttons on the hand controller. To slew to object you want to observe you tap on it to select in Sky Safari then tap the Goto button on the screen.  The accuracy of the pointing comes from how well you first did the two star alignment. Sky Safari is not refine it if you tap on align in Sky Safari. That just moves the pointer of the screen over the object that is suppose to be in the eyepiece.

- Dave 

#7 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:43 PM

Perfect. Thank you David.
I hope this old LX200 works ok with the wifi 232 interface. I'll be getting everything within the next week for resting.

Also looking at building an Raspberry Pi 4 and or Adriano based panel for power, LED light power/control from diy app from iPad etc.

Very interested in the new Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera
12.3 megapixel Sony IMX477 sensor, 7.9mm diagonal image size. Could easily adapt to eyepieces etc. Even diy auto Guider.

#8 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:48 PM

It looks like the AUX port on the classic LX200 has +5 volts on it. So you might be able to use the power from it to power your Wifi to serial adapter. I used the power from the AUX port on   my Meade DS2000 mount to power my homemade adapter.

- Dave 

#9 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:24 PM

The only thing I can say is, If it is Blue, made by Meade, LX200 with EMC coatings, you have the best of the best standard Meade SCT's ever made, ESPECIALLY the 10" and 12" F10, 

those are fantastic tubes optically. change the caps, pick up spare boards and they will be the only SCT you will ever want!

I stake my reputation on this statement..

Duane

• Surferjoee likes this

#10 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

Hi Duane, yes, this is the big boy, well 12" LX200 EMC. I bought it 2 months ago, $1,000.00

It included several Meade Series 5000  MegaWide Angle (2") 5,15, 21, 26mm eyepieces, one older but usable autoguider but, here is the kicker, there was a brand new, unused deep sky DSI-IV monochrome imager! I was very surprised as the DSI-IV was just laying there with all the eyepieces. The guy was not into astronomy or astrophotography. He had inherited the scope from his late uncle. He also gave me a Meade 12" LightBridge that was still in the box and unused. I couldn't believe it. I gave the light bridge to my neighbor who's a good friend of mine. He loves it.

https://photos.app.g...CSLJjckXfnqaaj6

#11 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:18 AM

I'm using a commercial bluetooth adapter and Sky Safari on an Android tablet with my 12" classic and it works great. Other than it being a bit of a beast, I've been very happy with my 12" classic.

#12 Surferjoee

Surferjoee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

My beast is the 12" f10, EMC, multicoated ultrahigh contrast.
The only issue so far is that stars are not as pinpoint as I expected, but that could be a couple of issues I can check: Culmination and the diagonal mirror.
Other than that, it tracks very well in alt az mode. I can't wait to get it on a X-Wedge and then a permanent post Mount.

Caps looks like they were changed. Checked the gears, all looks great.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics