•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Histogram in BYN for modified DSLR & ISO

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ssa2294

ssa2294

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:42 PM

I have a new modified Nikon d5600 and was out this past Saturday for the first time. In using Backyard Nikon's histogram and keeping in mind to keep the levels peak at 1/3 the red will be significantly separated from blue & green. That lead me to the question, should I still stay at 1/3 in histogram with blue and green and have red almost in middle, or would I ignore blue/green and focus on just red for histogram? I hope I am explaining this correctly, if not if anyone has a histogram they can share for a modified camera that would work too. 

On a different topic, a while back I had read somewhere that for the Nikon the optimum ISO setting was 200, but of course I bookmarked it and now can't remember where I bookmarked (phone, tablet, work laptop, old work desktop, new work desktop...etc..etc.). Has anyone heard of this for Nikons? Trying to decide whether to look further into this, or just stick with ISO 800 which seems to be fine.

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:37 PM

Yes, ISO 200 is optimum, but you won't lose much bumping up to ISO 400..

Switch your histogram view in BYN to L, to see a single binned exposure

Edited by 17.5Dob, 01 June 2020 - 11:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics