•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Before and After

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:59 PM

This is a before and after shot of a broken down Meade 10" inch LightBridge.

Paint : 2 Pak Automotive Grey.

New 10" inch Mirror .... f/5

New Base is in the process of being made ...!!

1.jpg

2.JPG

Col. ( Down Under )

Edited by Colin exraaf, 01 June 2020 - 11:03 PM.

• wky46, cuzimthedad, izar187 and 13 others like this

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:39 PM

That looks very promising Pops.  waytogo.gif Very Flash indeed.... lol.gif

What are you planning for the base?

When the borders open up again we’re going to come up to the Sunny Coast, I’ll try to drop by....

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

That looks very promising Pops.  waytogo.gif Very Flash indeed.... lol.gif

What are you planning for the base?

Marine Grade Ply ...will have several coats of Varnish ... !!

rocker box (1).jpg rocker box (2).jpg

Col...

Edited by Colin exraaf, 02 June 2020 - 02:54 AM.

• wky46, Jeff B, DHEB and 1 other like this

#4 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:56 AM

Some at different stages....!!

P5310005.JPG P5310008.JPG P5310010.JPG P5310011.JPG

Col....

• Jon Isaacs, cuzimthedad, Jeff B and 2 others like this

#5 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:05 AM

2pac gloss charcoal for the base would be superb, you know you want to, Poppy cool.gif

Cheers,

Pappa M waytogo.gif

• Colin exraaf likes this

#6 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:29 AM

Looks good Col, like the colour scheme.

#7 yeldahtron

yeldahtron

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

Are you going to paint the struts flat black?  I did on my LB 12" when I flocked the insides of the OTAs to reduce glare. Long ago I painted the white tops and insides of the cast rings that form the OTAs flat black as well. I don't understand why a manufacturer would paint anything white or silver that is in the optical train of the instrument. With flocking, black struts and a black shroud, all you can see when you look down the scope is the primary.

The secondary collimation screws you have created are interesting, using rubber feet for the knobs, but they look a bit over-sized and might be occluding the light path (i.e., sticking out past the profile of the secondary mirror).  A trip to a local fastener supply store might yield a nice set of screws with more appropriately sized thumb wheels for dirt cheap.  (Live in Ottawa? Ottawa Fastener Supply is the temple of fasteners.)  You can buy a plastic thumb wheel that compression-fits onto the head of a standard Allen socket-head bolt; e.g.,  https://www.mcmaster...d-mount-knobs-6. (They sell them in qty 100, so a trip to a fastener supply store is advised.)

Barring that, Bobs Knobs sells a nice after-market set of screws and springs for both the primary and secondary.  My LB is well over 15 years old, but when it was made, the springs supporting the secondary were under-spec'd. The stiffer springs made a big difference in getting the scope to maintain collimation.

Edited by yeldahtron, 02 June 2020 - 12:56 PM.

• SteveG and Colin exraaf like this

#8 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

Are you going to paint the struts flat black?  I did on my LB 12" when I flocked the insides of the OTAs to reduce glare. Long ago I painted the white tops and insides of the cast rings that form the OTAs flat black as well. I don't understand why a manufacturer would paint anything white or silver that is in the optical train of the instrument. With flocking, black struts and a black shroud, all you can see when you look down the scope is the primary.

The secondary collimation screws you have created are interesting, using rubber feet for the knobs, but they look a bit over-sized and might be occluding the light path (i.e., sticking out past the profile of the secondary mirror).  A trip to a local fastener supply store might yield a nice set of screws with more appropriately sized thumb wheels for dirt cheap.  (Live in Ottawa? Ottawa Fastener Supply is the temple of fasteners.)  You can buy a plastic thumb wheel that compression-fits onto the head of a standard Allen socket-head bolt; e.g.,  https://www.mcmaster...d-mount-knobs-6. (They sell them in qty 100, so a trip to a fastener supply store is advised.)

Barring that, Bobs Knobs sells a nice after-market set of screws and springs for both the primary and secondary.  My LB is well over 15 years old, but when it was made, the springs supporting the secondary were under-spec'd. The stiffer springs made a big difference in getting the scope to maintain collimation.

There are still a few things to consider yet once the Scope is up and running ...you might be right about the secondary screw knobs...will have to see if problems arise ( easy fix if necessary ),,, no not painting the struts black yet. Have Bob's Knob's and Springs installed on the Primary Cell. A shroud might come later .... a few ' tweaks ' here and there would certainly help to finish it off to my total satisfaction.

Thanks for your comments ......Col.

Edited by Colin exraaf, 02 June 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#9 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:15 AM

Ta Dar ..!! It's finished ...... Dobsonian.gif

7.JPG

Col  ( Down Under )

• wky46, osbourne one-nil, BillShort and 3 others like this

#10 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:17 AM

Another one ....!!

4.JPG

Col.

• osbourne one-nil likes this

#11 makeitso

makeitso

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:20 AM

Very nice looking! How much does the base weigh?

Jack

#12 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:32 AM

@ Jack .... ~ roughly 3kgs ... made from Marine Grade Ply ... several coats of varnish.

Col.

• makeitso likes this

#13 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:53 AM

Last one .... and it's now raining .... just when I have it finished ...!!

P7090020.JPG

Col...

Edited by Colin exraaf, 09 July 2020 - 12:55 AM.

• osbourne one-nil likes this

#14 makeitso

makeitso

Messenger

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:58 AM

That’s pretty light. Wish my base was that light. Mine weighs around 15k (33lbs), if I remember right. Probably more rigid than mine is too. I have to do something with the base on mine.

Jack

#15 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:13 AM

That’s pretty light. Wish my base was that light. Mine weighs around 15k (33lbs), if I remember right. Probably more rigid than mine is too. I have to do something with the base on mine.

Jack

Jack ... my mistake on the weight of the Base ... it's 7kgs ... and the Scope is 18kgs.

2.JPG

Col..

• osbourne one-nil, SteveG, havasman and 1 other like this

#16 makeitso

makeitso

Messenger

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

7kg is still less than half the weight of mine and probably still less wobbly too.

Jack

#17 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

That's a lovely job. I made a dob-base out of MDF once and it didn't look like that. It didn't look like anything I've ever seen in fact. 

• Kunama likes this

#18 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Excellent.  It looks great!

#19 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:21 PM

Same here, bought 16 years ago. Mine came with white rings, silver struts, and a horrible single-speed focuser. It also had a bad primary but it took me too long to determine that. I had the rings and struts powdercoated with a matte black powdery-looking finish, and added a Moonlite. I now have a 1/8 wave or better mirror, and with a Paracorr the scope produces refractor-like images. 

To the OP, the new base looks amazing! I need to build one!

#20 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

Very nice. Well done!

#21 Colin exraaf

Colin exraaf

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

I had the Base made for me ( credit to Alex the Builder ) .. The Scope itself was my idea as far as color and finish goes.

I took it to the Painters who did a marvelous job  and once all the ' bits ' were ready, I put it together....I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Originally I bought the LB 10" Scope in a very sorry state indeed....I saw the ' potential ' in what it could be again.

It had ' dents ' in both Primary and Secondary Housings plus paint scratches....very ' pitted ' mirror and seized roller bearings on the Base.

Yes, I spent some money on this, but the satisfaction it brings when it's finished is ' priceless '

Col.

Edited by Colin exraaf, 09 July 2020 - 05:58 PM.

• makeitso likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics