•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Manufacturer information

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:10 PM

Does anyone know who manufactures observatory housings such as shown in the right foreground of the below image? I have searched with all of the terms I could think of with no joy. This is simply for curiosity.

Observatory.jpg

#2 John Carlini

John Carlini

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:15 AM

That enclosure is part of the All Sky Automated Survey (ASAS) system at Las Campanas Observatory, Chile.  I suspect it is probably a custom-made enclosure but not sure who is the support contractor.  Here is more info on the system:

https://en.m.wikiped...utomated_Survey

Some details on the system hardware:

http://www.astrouw.e...&page=equipment

Edited by John Carlini, 02 June 2020 - 12:20 AM.

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:39 AM

Thank you John. They have some interesting kit in that enclosure.

I have seen other iterations on the theme elsewhere and was curious if there was a U.S. manufacturer I could get some drawings from. I have seen some of the work done by CN members but they appeared to require a lot of physical work to open and unfortunately I need a lot of assistance these days. Sigh!

#4 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:13 AM

Check the 80/20 thread below. The contact listed there could maybe build one.  Avalon instruments makes something similar but it is small (remote operation) and really designed to use with their M-uno mount.

#5 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

Actually Avalon Instruments was the assembly I was after - thank you for the hint. I am interested in a remote operation siting so this might be what to investigate.

• torsinadoc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics