•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which scopes sell for less used, SCT's or RC's?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:18 PM

Seems like it depends on a lot of things.  Small ones seem to hold their value better over time.  But I'd hate to spend a huge sum on one of the higher-end RC's and find out (if I was going to) that if I sold it a year later I'd get 50% back.  Makes high-end refractors seem like a better value, if you anticipate a scope change at some point.

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:40 AM

If a telescope (or anything, for that matter) remains in production doesn't it make sense that one has to depreciate in value?  There would be no market for a new one if used ones, even in perfect condition, cost as much as new ones.  There's a lot of discussion relevant to this on the Questar forum.  Used Questars in great condition tend to sell for about half the price of a new one, maybe a little less, and as long as they're not really early eamples they're practically identical to new ones.

Edited by JamesMStephens, 02 June 2020 - 12:43 AM.

#3 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:41 AM

There is also the standard 'supply and demand' rules in play.  If you are looking for a C8, they seem to depreciate the most as there are about a bajillion available out there.  I am a fan of the Intes scopes and they are selling for just a little below their MSRP as they are discontinued, have a good reputation and there were relatively few produced.  The economy comes into play also...  There are many factors involved.  

When I make a scope purchase, resale value is never a consideration.  If I was planning on spending a huge sum of money on a higher end RC, I'd be a little more committed to making the right decision upfront it terms of quality and specifications, and plan on keeping the scope for more than a year.  

If you are concerned about depreciation, you could always purchase off the used market and sell it for what you paid for it.

• sevenofnine likes this

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

If you are concerned about depreciation, you could always purchase off the used market and sell it for what you paid for it.

This is the best advice.  Depreciation hits all telescopes, mounts, etc hard after about 4yrs. 

Except for discontinued highly valued examples most telescopes drop significantly as newer models with good qualities replace them.   Look at the RASA 11 V1 vs V2.  People have shed the early version just so they can get the latest because the newer version has improved some features.  Does that mean the old version is trash? Nope.  But you can pick it up for far less than could have the month before the new version came on the market. 

Between SCT and R/C it's similar.  Unless you're buying the biggest R/C most 6-12" are readily available.    Same with SCTs.  And you can look at prices on CN classifieds and see they sell for 50% MSRP.  

In the last 4 years I've bought nearly a dozen telescopes and I think the most % I ever paid for one was 50% and several less than that.   

Anyone buying a new telescope based on potential value at resale is kidding themselves.  Better optics, better mounts, wear & tear, change in hobbyist focus, death, all lead to lower resale prices in the end.  The lucky few who score the unusual scope for a small fraction of MSRP know they are assured they can get their money back at least and maybe more if it was an exceptional deal. 

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#5 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

There is also the standard 'supply and demand' rules in play.  If you are looking for a C8, they seem to depreciate the most as there are about a bajillion available out there.  I am a fan of the Intes scopes and they are selling for just a little below their MSRP as they are discontinued, have a good reputation and there were relatively few produced.  The economy comes into play also...  There are many factors involved.  

When I make a scope purchase, resale value is never a consideration.  If I was planning on spending a huge sum of money on a higher end RC, I'd be a little more committed to making the right decision upfront it terms of quality and specifications, and plan on keeping the scope for more than a year.  

Seems like we've seen early C8's going for between $300-$500 so  that would seem to be the highest decline, relative to new cost at the time they were new. A C8 in 1978 was about $750-$990 (maybe $2900-$4000 in today's dollars) so $300-$500 now is a bargain.

#6 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:45 PM

Seems like we've seen early C8's going for between $300-$500 so  that would seem to be the highest decline, relative to new cost at the time they were new. A C8 in 1978 was about $750-$990 (maybe $2900-$4000 in today's dollars) so $300-$500 now is a bargain.

While at the same time a C6 OTA consistantly sells for $300, which are less available and have a high demand.

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:38 AM

well on the preowned market here in the uk I would say around 70% are sct cassagrains And 30% RC telescopes there are only a handful of brands like ioptron who do more budget RC OTA,s.then it goes into the higher end GSO and planewave etc.which the planwave need a second mortgage for and sell an arm and a leg for.

ive noticed a certain trend happening it just seems your more likely to get most of your doller back on the OTA,s then the scope being more complete with the mount.and lastly what I’ve never understood as I own the Meade12”ACF LX90 The cheapest price in uk works out for the whole telescope package at $3938 and admittedly the LX200 has mirror lock but still exsactly the same optics the OTA is $4122 just don,t make sense.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics