•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Moon with the Questar Q700 telephoto lens (June 1, 2020)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

I decided to take out the Questar Q700 89mm f/8 telephoto lens tonight and pair it with the ZWO 178MM mono camera. I wanted to try and capture the Moon. I will say that obtaining critical focus was a challenge, or it could have just been the lens still acclimating to the outside temps. 

Anyway, here is the result of taking a short 1 minute video and stacking the best 50% of the frames. I could only achieve 12 fps at best because I had to utilize the entire size of the sensor which can really slow things down. At 640 X 480 I can sometimes achieve well over 200 fps. So, big difference there. Slower frame rates means there's less of a chance to freeze the seeing and obtain sharp frames to stack.

Here is the result. I will say that the small size of the Q700 is really nice and the hassle factor is low. So, I take that into consideration and keep my expectations realistic with regard to imaging with it. 

Processed with Autostakkert, Registax, and Adobe Lightroom. The final image was downsized and converted to png for posting. It will definitely look sharper if you click and open it versus the compressed preview image. 

Thanks again for encouraging me to get out there!

VR

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon CN png.png

Edited by TerryWood, 01 June 2020 - 11:22 PM.

• Paul Schroeder, Rick McNelly, Erik Bakker and 9 others like this

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:02 AM

Very nice picture and story Terry. Thanks for sharing it here!
  • TerryWood likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:39 AM

Wow.  Excellent image, Terry!  Thanks for sharing this.

smp

• TerryWood likes this

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:46 AM

Hey, thanks again! I really like the Q700, but it could really benefit from a fine focus mechanism on the rear of the barrel assembly. Questar seems to have made such a scope in 1983 and called it a Questar Wide Sky. I have never seen one exactly like that for sale. It looks just like the Q700, but it doesn't seem to focus in the same way as the Q700. I do attach the Questar diagonal to the rear of mine, but there is no focus mechanism other than the barrel focuser.

See the attached ad from my Sky & Telescope Seven Decade Collection cd-rom set.

It is a little more readable when you open the image.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Questar Wide Sky ad jpg.jpg

Edited by TerryWood, 02 June 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 Johninuk

Johninuk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nottingham UK

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:28 AM

Terry
Why not fit Baader helical focuser to the diagonal,or has the diagonal only have the Questar screw in and not 11/4 fit?
John.

#6 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

John, the Questar diagonal threads directly onto the rear of the Q700 without an adapter. On the eyepiece side of the diagonal, a Brandon will thread directly into it just like the Questar 3.5. So, I don't know if a Baader will work. I'm going to give it another try the next clear night. V/R Terry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics