•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pictures & animation from this morning 6-1-20

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Middle TN

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

Seeing was a little blurry today but I managed to capture a few images.  Was fantastic viewing with binoviewers, 20mm with 1.6x barlow.  Showed the whole family.  Thanks for looking.

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

• philmor56, R Botero, rigel123 and 8 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:30 AM

Glad I scrolled down a bit to see that flare spouting the material that dropped back down to the surface!  Great animation and nice pics!  How much time does this represent?

Edited by rigel123, 02 June 2020 - 05:34 AM.

• Gray likes this

#3 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:50 AM

Nice captures , lots of detail in the proms

BD

• Gray likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:33 AM

very nice animation, very clear.
your photos are very beautiful too.
thank you and well done.

• Gray likes this

#5 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:36 AM

Really nice animation.

• Gray likes this

#6 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Glad I scrolled down a bit to see that flare spouting the material that dropped back down to the surface!  Great animation and nice pics!  How much time does this represent?

31 minutes I think Warren. Delay was set at 30 seconds, 500 frames. Takes about 4 seconds per capture. 63 frames total. The animated gif had to be slowed way down to 9 frames a second because it was really moving up there. Found out my astrobin doesn't like anything over 50MB. so had to do black and white but I like BW better, like yours. The only question I'm having is orientation though. If I'm imaging through a refractor with a diagonal I think all that has to be done is vertical mirror if on the east side, and if on the west rotate clockwise 90? Kinda confusing. One last comment. I noticed while stretching another surface image the large prom was coming through as well. I like the filaprom animation you did where the surface is animated as well. Id like to try that but haven't got a clue how to begin. Thanks Warren!

#7 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:04 AM

Nice captures , lots of detail in the proms

BD

Thanks BD. Still practicing. My photoshop subscription is expiring so I'll have to learn how to process images in Pixinsight. Right now I use it for the batch processing for the animations. You can do the wavelets, masks, crops, and color there in a few minutes. But I have no idea how to combine proms and disc. Love the binos though! 

#8 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

very nice animation, very clear.
your photos are very beautiful too.
thank you and well done.

Thank you Sunnyday!

• sunnyday likes this

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

Lovely captures Graham!

Very best,

• Gray likes this

#10 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

Really nice animation.

Thanks Dan! I really like your DS pics. You seem to have the orientation down easy. How do you do that?

#11 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Lovely captures Graham!

Very best,

Thanks Marty! 

• MalVeauX likes this

#12 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

31 minutes I think Warren. Delay was set at 30 seconds, 500 frames. Takes about 4 seconds per capture. 63 frames total. The animated gif had to be slowed way down to 9 frames a second because it was really moving up there. Found out my astrobin doesn't like anything over 50MB. so had to do black and white but I like BW better, like yours. The only question I'm having is orientation though. If I'm imaging through a refractor with a diagonal I think all that has to be done is vertical mirror if on the east side, and if on the west rotate clockwise 90? Kinda confusing. One last comment. I noticed while stretching another surface image the large prom was coming through as well. I like the filaprom animation you did where the surface is animated as well. Id like to try that but haven't got a clue how to begin. Thanks Warren!

Thanks, I do like B&W best and it may just be me but I think they always show more detail anyway.  I think your orientation looks correct in your images so you are doing it right.  My filaprom animation was done with a Double Stack which makes it easier to show proms and surface together, particularly for filaproms.  I wasn't sure if your scope is DS or SS.  Marty shows a good method in his processing video to bring out proms and surface in his initial stretch in IMPPG.  I just would not do all of the steps he does in PS to increase his contrast since he is only working on a single image and in your animation you are working on 60!  Trying to make each frame the same means less processing.  

• Gray likes this

#13 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, I do like B&W best and it may just be me but I think they always show more detail anyway.  I think your orientation looks correct in your images so you are doing it right.  My filaprom animation was done with a Double Stack which makes it easier to show proms and surface together, particularly for filaproms.  I wasn't sure if your scope is DS or SS.  Marty shows a good method in his processing video to bring out proms and surface in his initial stretch in IMPPG.  I just would not do all of the steps he does in PS to increase his contrast since he is only working on a single image and in your animation you are working on 60!  Trying to make each frame the same means less processing.  

You the man Warren. Thanks for your support, really means a lot! I'll have to try and find Marty's video on the IMPPG settings. I use that just for alignment. I saw your comment on another post about that. 

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

Here is the link to his video:  https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• Gray likes this

#15 philmor56

philmor56

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

Thanks BD. Still practicing. My photoshop subscription is expiring so I'll have to learn how to process images in Pixinsight. Right now I use it for the batch processing for the animations. You can do the wavelets, masks, crops, and color there in a few minutes. But I have no idea how to combine proms and disc. Love the binos though! 

For what it's worth...

Here is a link for an older version of Photoshop with the registration key for free download. It does the job.

https://www.techspot...toshop-cs2.html

• Gray likes this

#16 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:40 AM

Wow thanks a lot!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics