•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between Vixen AXD and AXD2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lear88

Lear88

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Constance, Germany

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I know these are relatively rare mounts, but I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the original Vixen AXD and the newer AXD2. From what I can see from the Vixen Japan and US website, the polar scope on the newer mount has been upgraded, but all other mechanical tech specs seem the same.

I have an original AXD mount, which I bought during a work placement in Asia and I'm very happy with it. Just curious if there are any major mods in the newer version…

Alex

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:51 AM

Good mounts for sure, both.

"The periodic motion of the AXD2 has been improved from +/- 3.5 arc seconds to a guaranteed tracking rate of +/- 2.8 arc seconds."

#3 Lear88

Lear88

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

Hi Tapio

Thanks, the reduced tracking rate was news to me. I am still not sure how this works, as all the motors, axes and gears seem to be identical to the firs model, down to the number of teeth on the gears. Well, I guess I can live with 3,5 arc seconds...

Cheers, Alex

#4 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

I believe that it's the V-PEC that's reduced to 2.8arc sec for the AXD2. The V-PEC is recorded @ the manufacturers and stored in non-volatile memory. The AXD is higher as mentioned. Now the older AXD can be further improved with user recorded PEC and therefore can be brought down to 2.8 arc sec too (or lower), however it cannot be stored (nor overwrite) the non-volatile memory. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that the user can store the user recorded PEC on an SD card in the optional Advanced Unit for the original AXD, however for some reason I can't seem to find that documentation - so, maybe I dreamt that part up laugh.gif.

Edit: I'm not mad :-

https://global.vixen.../star_book_ten/

"Saving and Reading out PEC Data
The recoded PEC data (PPEC data) on the STAR BOOK TEN can be saved on an SD card (sold separately). The stored data are available with the STAR BOOK TEN.
How to save and read out the PEC data"

Note that the AXD2 also has the newer polar alignment scope.

So far I've been happy sticking to my original AXD, although I nicked the paint a little today!!

Edited by AnakChan, 03 June 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#5 Lear88

Lear88

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Hi Tapio, hi AnakChan,

thank for your feedback, that clears it up.

Sorry to hear about your paint nick, hope it's not too bad. When I lived in Singapore, I had the mount set to 1 degree north, but didn't know that I had to completely removed the forward facing altitude adjustment know. Once I swung the the motor housing down, it hit the know and left a decent mark. Well, I guess that makes it unique ;-)

I have to get into the PEC recording, so far have relied on VPEC. Good to know the PEC data can be downloaded onto the SD card.

Cheers, Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics