•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Possible Quick & Easy LP Shielding for Your Yard

LP
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 sparks

sparks

Sputnik

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:56 PM

A fellow Cloudy Nighter solved his problem like this: https://www.cloudyni...ay-observatory/

Bob

#77 SPQR0315!

SPQR0315!

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

This is exactly what I did to shield my backyard from a lamppost my HO association installed 4 feet from my lot line in their easement.   It contains a light bulb that appears to be 6" in diameter and allows me to read the paper in my backyard at 10PM.   They upgraded the bulbs several years ago so we literally live in the Walmart parking lot!    I drove two  2x2 stakes into the ground about 12".   They stick up about 4 feet.   I then took two 10 foot brown down spouts and duck taped a dark green tarp to them.    I can slide the down spouts over the stakes for an instant "blind".   Works very well except in high winds.    My neighbor  says it looks like I have a sail boat in my backyard.   It works very well.    the width is about 4 feet.   I think 6' would do even better.

#78 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:01 AM

A fellow Cloudy Nighter solved his problem like this: https://www.cloudyni...ay-observatory/

Bob

It looks to me that the walls of the enclosure must result in pretty high horizons all around.  So the observer is shielded from ambient light, but loses their horizons.  If they never had low horizons, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Mike

#79 sparks

sparks

Sputnik

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

Yes, the compromises of urban astronomy...

Bob

• Sarkikos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics