•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations for just 2 eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 zipzipskins

zipzipskins

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:10 PM

PM Sent.

Thank you so, so much, Bill!

Nate:

I like what Tangerman and Jailbery are saying. 

I have been involved with amateur astronomy for a number of years and like many, I have quite an assortment of equipment including a set of about 20 TeleVue Panoptics, Naglers and Ethos eyepieces. These are very nice eyepieces. And there are others.  But it wasn't always that way, it's only been the last 15-20 years or so where I could afford such eyepieces and it was a slow gradual thing.  My scopes are generally quite fast, F/4-F/7 with my Dobs at F/5.5 or faster.

But recently, I have been looking back at my earlier days and using eyepieces that while not anywhere near as perfect as the premium eyepieces, are affordable and taken with the right attitude, that is, a cup half full, what can this eyepiece do?, they are not only effective but enjoyable, even for a picky old codger like myself. 

In this quest, I purchased both the 30mm GSO SuperView 65 degree and the 32mm 70 degree Q70 clone.  If looked at with a critical eye, they are definitely flawed eyepieces, the off-axis astigmatism means the stars are not tight round dots across the field.  On the other hand, I paid $60 used for the Q70 clone and as a finder, low power eyepiece, I have been surprised how effective it is, despite it's shortcomings.  

For higher magnifications, I purchased several of the Astro-Tech Paradigm eyepieces.  These are $60, 60 degree eyepieces.  For me, the eye relief is comfortable, the 60 degree field of view is sufficient to feel unrestricted, not 100 degrees, but enough. The 25mm and the 18mm are not sharp across the field in a faster scope, the 12mm, 8mm, 5mm and 3.2mm are reasonably sharp.  Again, they're not as perfect or as wide as the more expensive eyepieces but for me, as critical as I can be, I find they provide very enjoyable views.  

Last month, I spent the night under dark skies with my 16 inch and the Q70-Paradigm set.  The TeleVues were ready and waiting but I never felt the need, what I was seeing was plenty good enough.  

Basically what I am saying is this:  You have a very good telescope, it's simple but capable, it can show you a lot.  It's nice to have the expensive eyepieces but the eyepieces like the Paradigms and Q-70s will allow you to see most everything you would see with the expensive eyepieces.  You are at the beginning of a marvelous journey, there's a lot to learn, a lot to see.  At this point, just enjoy the views, imperfections and all.  No need to spend money you don't have on eyepieces...

Jon

I feel like so much of this is so wise. Every time I find something new in the eyepiece I have, I am astounded at the nature and scope of our beautiful universe, and it's "just" the eyepiece that came with my telescope. Every night when I go out, I think about how all the life in the universe that we know of is right here, on this tiny planet, in an unremarkable part of an (admittedly larger than average) galaxy, looking up at the same night sky I am. The sense of simultaneous peace and wonder I have discovered since I got this telescope is like nothing else I've ever felt.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. What a helpful, incredible community.

Nate

• Jon Isaacs, payner, eros312 and 3 others like this

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:31 PM

Every time I find something new in the eyepiece I have, I am astounded at the nature and scope of our beautiful universe, and it's "just" the eyepiece that came with my telescope. Every night when I go out, I think about how all the life in the universe that we know of is right here, on this tiny planet, in an unremarkable part of an (admittedly larger than average) galaxy, looking up at the same night sky I am. The sense of simultaneous peace and wonder I have discovered since I got this telescope is like nothing else I've ever felt.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. What a helpful, incredible community.

Nate

Nate:

Well said?

We come here to discuss eyepieces but it's that simultaneous sense of peace and wonder that underlies it all, that's what it's really all about.

Jon

#28 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:23 AM

For high-power on a budget, the Orion Expanse 9mm and 6mm  might be worth consideration.  These effectively have built-in barlows, so they perform decent at F/6 and also have decent eye relief.   AFOV is 65-66 degrees, and the price is a modest $50 (and you might find clones for half that).

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#29 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

My first scope was an 8 inch, and I found a 32mm 60 degree eyepiece a good wide field & finder eyepiece. Add a Telrad finder and star hopping is easy.

A drop or 2 of light oil on the bearings will smooth out motions.

#30 JoshUrban

JoshUrban

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indian Head, MD

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

Don't forget used selections on the classifieds here!   There are some great deals to be had, especially on older Televue stuff.  I keep seeing type 1 Naglers for (relatively) cheap.  

Nate, I think I missed it - do you have a 2" focuser?  If so, you'll REALLY like a 2" eyepiece.  That's something that can get lost on paper - there's something so immersive about looking out a "bigger window", for lack of a better word.  

Clear skies - what a journey this all is!

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:55 AM

Just for clarification:

Nate has an XT-8. The very first XT-8's had 1.25 inch focusers, those are now close to 20 years old. They switched to 2 inch in 2001 or 2002.

Jon

#32 quercuslobata

quercuslobata

Sputnik

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:41 PM

I’m still learning (from these guys that already answered), but I have this scope and I think the ES68 24mm is a sweet spot at the wide end. Almost 1.4 degrees and no messing with the adapter (or sticker shock) of good 2” eyepieces. The smaller exit pupil works better for my level of light pollution too. The other end is harder to pick just one because it depends so much on seeing (often bad where I am), but a 12mm and 8mm dual ED or equivalent with your 2x Barlow (so 50x, 100x, 150x, 200x, and if you are lucky 300x) would go a long way on a budget.

Chris

• stevenrjanssens likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics