•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax XW vs Televue Delite

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ELDavis

ELDavis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Fl and Keystone, Co

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

In preparation for this summers planetary obseravation I am preparing to buy a quality eyepiece. Since I am planning on using it in three different scopes alone or with barlow, I was thinking of something in the 7 mm range. The scopes are a 8" Celestron Ultima, a 130 AP EDT, and a Televue Genesis SDF. I have narrowed my choice down to the Pentax XW and the Televue Devite. Any opinions or other options?

• Marcus Roman likes this

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

You cannot go wrong with the Pentax XW7.

Another to consider is the Baader Morpheus 6.5.

• turtle86, areyoukiddingme, mikeDnight and 4 others like this

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

Assuming you want long ER I think that covers it, along with the Morpheus Steve added.

Scott
  • 25585 likes this

#4 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:36 PM

In your 130AP youll probably find the 5mm & 3.5mm XW superb performers too. XW would be my choice over anything TV offer.

• RichA and 25585 like this

#5 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

If your AP130 is f/8, then I would say get a 5mm and 7mm as that would be 200x and 150x.  As far as which, the DeLite or the XW, I think more depends on what other eyepieces you have and if you want to build out these one day in more focal lengths.

If you did intend to build out with more DeLites or XWs, then would come down to if you like more AFOV in your viewing?  I personally like 70 degrees very much, and while I like 60 it makes me feel a bit constrained for open cluster viewing.  So from that perspective would go with the XWs as just more engaging view, especially for DSO.

If AFOV is not an issue with you and you are a edge of field observer (i.e., you will critically observe at the field stop rather than reposition that target to center), then the DeLite has a better controlled off-axis, especially related to lateral color which is readily visible off-axis in the XWs. 

If you already have a wide range of eyepieces in the focal lengths you need for the observing you do, and just want something that will give a more precise view of planets, then you can save yourself a lot of money if you do not mind smaller AFOV and tight eye relief and get a 5, 6, and 7mm Abbe Ortho.  The Fujiyama Abbe Orthos are about $95 each and come in 5, 6, 7mm focal lengths too so the three of them are just a little more than one DeLite and their view will probably have just a little more contrast given only 4 element design!

https://agenaastro.c...epiece-7mm.html

Edited by BillP, 02 June 2020 - 01:44 PM.

• eros312 and areyoukiddingme like this

#6 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

I got a used 18.2 Delite a couple days ago and spent about an hour last night comparing it with several other eyepieces.

I compared it with a 2.5x Powermate (for 7.28mm) vs. the 7 XW. Just about too close to call. The only difference in this situation was the XW can show a tiny bit of lateral color, but I couldn't see anything in the Delite/PM combo.

About equally comfortable to use, and of course a wider field in the XW.

• eros312 likes this

#7 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

In preparation for this summers planetary obseravation I am preparing to buy a quality eyepiece. Since I am planning on using it in three different scopes alone or with barlow, I was thinking of something in the 7 mm range. The scopes are a 8" Celestron Ultima, a 130 AP EDT, and a Televue Genesis SDF. I have narrowed my choice down to the Pentax XW and the Televue Devite. Any opinions or other options?

I’d probably go with the Pentax since it’s a little more versatile with its greater FOV.  Think you’d also like the 5.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#8 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:54 PM

A year and a half ago I compared the following eyepieces for several months:

7mm Pentax XW

7mm TV DeLite

7mm Nikon SW

6.5mm Morpheus

6.5mm ES52

The first thing is they are all excellent.  What I found is that for deep sky I preferred the 7mm XW and 6.5mm Morpheus.  For lunar/planetary I preferred the Nikon SW and the TV DeLite.  The 6.5mm ES52 was a sneaky good little eyepiece for deep sky.

Here were my impressions of these eyepieces:

7mm XW - just a very pleasant view.  It seems to have a special "it" factor that makes it the best XW focal length in my opinion. 

General notes about XW's: 

~They always seem to give very bright contrasty planetary views.

~They provide very bright views for deep sky

~Comfortable view

The XW's in my opinion have one drawback I've seen:  They seem to require more fiddling with fine focus to get the sharpest view than any other premium eyepiece I have used.   I was reminded of this recently when I was evaluating a 10mm XW for my lineup.   I had pretty much settled that it was going to be part of my primary line-up when one night I realized I was going back and forth trying to get pinpoint sharp star images. 

This aspect of XW's is a mystery to me in this sense:  While I find the focus fiddling a problem for stars and the Moon.  For nebula and planets the brightness and contrast of the image seems to offset the issue.

6.5mm Baader Morpheus:  One of my favorite eyepieces. The 6.5mm Morpheus is an outstanding deep sky eyepiece and provides pinpoint sharp stars across the field.  It was even sharp pretty much to the field stop in a 60mm f/6 APO.    Sky background has nice contrast and nebulous light is nice and bright.  Looking at partially resolved clusters the faintest stars are nice pinpoints.

The view is comfortable and clean and glasses will work if you need them.

For Planets the Morpheus gives excellent views as well  - nothing to complain about.

The Moon is a mixed bag.  The lunar image is nice and sharp with the Morpheus, but there seems to be a slight glare that cannot be pinpointed.  On the Moon it just does not seem to be as contrasty as the other options on many nights.  And yet there are some nights where I come away with a different feeling.

The 9mm Morpheus is a ditto on all of the above.

7mm Nikon SW:  This eyepiece is an excellent lunar/planetary eyepiece and of the eyepieces listed is beat out by the Morpheus and XW for deep sky.   It provides razor sharp views of the Moon.  It is not as comfortable as the DeLite or Morpheus.   Overall, while very sharp, I never enjoyed this eyepiece.

7mm TV DeLite:  I think the DeLite's are TV's best line along with the Ethos.  They have excellent center to field stop sharpness and contrast for all types of observing.  No issues with eye placement or comfort.  No issues with glare.  For the Moon and planets TV DeLite's and the 8.5mm Pentax XF are the only eyepieces I use at this point. 

I dont' have the shorter FL DeLite's at this time.  I simply use the 13mm DeLite and the 1.6x Nikon and 3x TV barlow for higher magnifications.  But I have used the 7mm and 5mm DeLite's and have no issues with them.  Probably eventually I will have the entire set of DeLites.

None of these eyepieces will be bad for the Moon and planets.  You just have to decide which seems to have the traits you like the most for what you intend to use them for.

Dave

• Dave Mitsky, Jeff Morgan, vkhastro1 and 12 others like this

#9 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

Have you thought of comparing a Delos 7 with a Pentax XW7? They both have about 70 degrees of AFOV? You are comparing a 60 AFOV Delite to a 70 AFOV Pentax XW.

• RichA likes this

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

Have you thought of comparing a Delos 7 with a Pentax XW7? They both have about 70 degrees of AFOV? You are comparing a 60 AFOV Delite to a 70 AFOV Pentax XW.

I think the issue is there isn’t a Delos 7. And apparently 6 or 8 is not close enough.

Scott
  • Kunama likes this

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:15 PM

7mm TV DeLite:  I think the DeLite's are TV's best line along with the Ethos.  They have excellent center to field stop sharpness and contrast for all types of observing.  No issues with eye placement or comfort.  No issues with glare.  For the Moon and planets TV DeLite's and the 8.5mm Pentax XF are the only eyepieces I use at this point. 

I did not look at 7's, but last fall over a dozen or so sessions I was looking in the 3.5-5mm range.

I thought the DeLite was a very good eyepiece at a good price point, and edged out the Pentax 3.5XW. One thing Tele Vue does very well is consistency within families. I would expect the 7D to "handle" much like the 4D and 5D I used for that comparo.

As noted, not a bad decision either way.

I ended up going with something entirely different, Takahashi TOE's. But those don't come in the length you want!

#12 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:15 AM

My 7mm are a Pentax XL which has 65° AFOV, and the Baader Morpheus 6.5mm with 76°.

Though both are good, I prefer my Baader. I had 7mm XW but sold it as its eye placement, exit pupil, like a Delos, was too finicky.

If you could settle for 8mm, a variety of 8-24mm zooms "good" ends become options.

Edited by 25585, 03 June 2020 - 12:19 AM.

#13 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:33 AM

That's the logical comparison.  The Delite is upgraded Radian.  The Delos is above the Radian and the Panoptic.

#14 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:28 AM

That's the logical comparison.  The Delite is upgraded Radian.  The Delos is above the Radian and the Panoptic.

The Delites are far far far better than Radians. They are not an upgrade, but at the very least, a vastly superior replacement.

• Jeff Morgan and howardcano like this

#15 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:00 AM

I use both the Delite 7mm and Pentax XW 7mm. I have no issues with eye placement with either of these eyepieces. Both are excellent, the good and the bad (if one can call it) are mentioned by Bill and Dave. The greater FOV is more obvious then I would have thought.  

#16 JoshUrban

JoshUrban

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indian Head, MD

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:42 AM

I just got a Pentax 7 XW, and although I haven't used it for planets yet, I love it for deep sky.  It's one of my most-used eyepieces in my 12.5" dob.  I use a 40mm XL as a finder, and sometimes just hop right to the 7 for working galaxy season skies.  

#17 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

I just got a Pentax 7 XW, and although I haven't used it for planets yet, I love it for deep sky.  It's one of my most-used eyepieces in my 12.5" dob.  I use a 40mm XL as a finder, and sometimes just hop right to the 7 for working galaxy season skies.  

Mixed duty would definitely be the tie breaker between these two eyepieces.

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

Unless your Ultima has better optics than mine did, a 7mm (290x) eyepiece might be a stretch.  My C8-HD has decent optics, but I limit it to an 8mm Delos at the high end.

If you still want the 7mm for your other scopes, then I would go with the Pentax XW.  It's got wonderful optics and is still the most comfortable eyepiece series that I have ever owned (I have all of the XW eyepieces).  

To me, planetary observing is all about comfort.  The longer I can sit and enjoy the view, the better everything works. flowerred.gif

Cheers,

Ron

• SandyHouTex, Paul Morow, areyoukiddingme and 3 others like this

#19 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

The 7mm DeLite is a wonderful eyepiece, and my most-used.

#20 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

I would go for the Pentax XW over the TV Delite.  I have compared the two side by side in similar focal lengths a few years ago and the XW was a tad brighter, sharper and the larger FOV was a plus as well.  But that is just what I see.

Bill

• SandyHouTex and j.gardavsky like this

#21 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:08 PM

I prefer the XW's over the DeLite's, primarily because of the wider field of view, but I also prefer the design, body style, and eye lens of the XW's. 

Also, the XW's are a dual threat for planetary & deep sky because of their brightness & sharpness. Like others mentioned, there is a trivial amount of off-axis lateral color on the moon & planets, but the sharpness & contrast make up for it.

The 7 XW is a perfect match for my 130 f/7 ED triplet. When the f/ratio = eyepiece focal length, you get the scope's "resolving magnification" where the finest details can be seen while keeping an elevated level of contrast.

• RAKing, 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#22 Dave McCrary

Dave McCrary

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gladstone, Oregon

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

The Pentax is also $100 dollars more.

#23 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

$44 difference at U.S. retailers. And XWs can be had for about the same price as Delites through Amazon Japan.

#24 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

I own a 7mm Pentax XW and find it to be an excellent performer.  It's bracketed by 6 and 8mm Tele Vue Delos eyepieces.

• RAKing likes this

#25 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:08 PM

First, I'm a Nagler T6 kinda guy, and love that eyepiece.  It's what I've chosen for my premium eyepiece in that focal length.  I have very little experience with the XW line proper, though I am a former 12mm XF owner, and I loved that eyepiece (only sold it to fund my 11mm T6, lo, many moons ago).  Still, I am NOT a fan of the DeLites.  I found them (and the Televue 2x barlow) to be poor performers on color rendition in smaller apertures.  There's a long, drawn-out thread about it here.  I am a Televue fan, but the DeLites (and TV 2x barlow) are not delightful for those who want colorful double stars in their smaller aperture scopes (like your Genesis, e.g.).  I've heard nothing but good things about the shorter focal length XW line, but they're all quite heavy for my tastes, and I prefer something that can still balance well in my refractors when I remove my 7mm T6 and put in my 6mm Baader Classic Ortho.  Some say this isn't a problem, but I have found it to be, so no XW's for me (or anything over 9 ounces in the 1.25" barrel).  This is my take, and yours may be different, but that's my facts, and I'm stickin' to 'em.  Good luck

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics