•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good Cheap Setup? Or Waste of Time?

accessories astrophotography beginner CMOS equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PollAirUs

PollAirUs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minas Gerais, Brasil

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

Hi folks,

I'm interested in a ZWO lens I saw few days ago, it has a focal length that goes from 2.8mm up to 12mm and it's suitable for meteor capturing.

I'm interested in doing some meteor capture and taking All Sky images tho, but I wonder: If I use this lens at it's maximum focal length with an ASI224 (non-cooled) mounted on a star tracker to take long exposure shots, would it work? I know the images will be kinda noisy, but I hope I can avoid that noise with the stacking, darks, flats and bias.

Screenshot_1.png

Another thing to consider is the FOV of the lens, it has a maximum FOV of 100 degrees (when using it at 2.8mm, I suppose), but I'm going to use it at 12mm, so the FOV should be significantly lower. And this simulation in the Stellarium looks good to me, although I can't include the lens FOV in it, I would certainly be satisfied with this field of view in the sensor.

Rho Oph.jpg

#2 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

What you're proposing would work, but I'd be concerned about the quality of the lens: chromatic aberration, distortion, etc.  Also, because that camera has 3.8 um pixels, the image scale here won't allow much detail, but perhaps you could try drizzle.  A prime camera lens would almost certainly have better optics if you could adapt it.  But this might be a fun, cheap project.  

If you want a start in astrophotography on a small budget, I'd suggest that you'll get better results with a used DSLR and prime lens of 50, 85, or 135 mm.  

• mikefulb, BKMaynard and PollAirUs like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics