•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpest eyepiece for lunar detail?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

Trying to eek I to some fine detail on the moon, I notice a some haze round the moon (I was using a cheap ultrawide ep and I’ve noticed my eyes have noticable scatter in then with bright lights). I sure this has been answered before, but what types of ep are people using to get the sharpest views (irrespective of apparent field of view). I see notes to Monocentrics, zao and Brandon’s, none of which seem available. Are generic orthos good, televue Plössls or other makes the best for teasing out detail?

Peter
  • ShaulaB likes this

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

Are you using any kind of Moon filter. A variable transmission polarizing Moon filter can be had for under $100 in a 1 1/4 inch format.

Do you have the beginnings of a cataract in your observing eye? Light scatter at night is one of the signs.

#3 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

Brandons are available 

https://www.astronom...ernonscope.html

https://agenaastro.c...ernonscope.html

• Markovich likes this

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:59 PM

I am after an eyepiecebtobgelp me get the most detail from the scope I have... rather than look get get a larger refractor (£€$¥)!

Peter

#5 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

It would be good to know what focal lengths you are seeking and what price you are willing to pay.  Assuming you are seeking higher powers among the ones you mention, 8mm and 11mm Tele Vue Plossls are great on the Moon. 

Edited by Kutno, 02 June 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#6 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

I am using an f7 scope, so a focal length of around 7mm (or multiples - as I understand barlows can help the performance). (Might be looking for 5mm with my f4, bit as it’s a reflector it is not as ideal). I’m not after spending ethos money, depends whats available and how much better they are.

Peter

#7 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

7mm DeLite is superb on the Moon.  Gives you good eye relief, as well.  My old 7mm Nagler does very well, too.  They're my favorite mono mode eyepieces, for lunar work, in that focal length.

#8 Hubbletrouble

Hubbletrouble

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

You may want to consider the Baader Mark IV 24mm-8mm Zoom.

It is my favorite eyepiece for Lunar work.

#9 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:25 AM

Televue 8mm Plossl is very sharp on Moon. I had one in past, I was using it as a main planetary eyepiece with my former N250/1600. I prefer orthos and monocentric but at 8mm I can't find such eyepiece. Therefore I returned back to 8mm TV Plossl this year. In my small aperture refractors (FOA 60Q 60/900 or ATC8/21670), it produces breath taking views of lunar features.

Here is the first scatch I made with this eyepieces

Moon_20200101_Arago_domes.jpg

Takahashi orthos (I have 32mm, 12.5mm and in the past I had 9mm) are also very sharp.

Edited by Sasa, 04 June 2020 - 03:26 AM.

• frank5817, Illinois, payner and 6 others like this

#10 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

You may want to consider the Baader Mark IV 24mm-8mm Zoom.
It is my favorite eyepiece for Lunar work.

I have one, but need a bit more power.... hmm, maybe I should just Barlow it! Will try when the clouds clear.

Peter

#11 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

Hello Peter,

on the Moon,

I am using the narrow passband green Baader Solar Continuum filter with any short EP I have.

This filter enhances radically the contrast of the view, and with its narrow passband (just 10nm), you can basically take any Plössl or ortho, even those not so expensive ones.

Best,

JG

#12 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

JG what scope are you using? I used to use a yellow filter in an st120 achromat I used to own, probably should have not sold it. The continuum should pretty much remove and chromatic issues! Probably won’t affect contrast loss from secondary mirrors in reflectors.

Peter
  • j.gardavsky likes this

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

I love my Meade Research Grade 7mm Ortho. CZJ 6mm Ortho is another favorite.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#14 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

JG what scope are you using? I used to use a yellow filter in an st120 achromat I used to own, probably should have not sold it. The continuum should pretty much remove and chromatic issues! Probably won’t affect contrast loss from secondary mirrors in reflectors.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have only 1 astronomy telescope, and it is the old 6" F/5 Sky-Watcher (Synta) achromatic refractor.

The shortest EP I take for the Moon is the Pentax XO 2.5, the next one is the cheap 3.6mm Baader Symmetric, then come the 5mm and longer not expensive orthos.

The Solar Continuum filter removes the CA and lowers the spherical aberration of the telescope optics.

Also the EPs resolutions are optimized for the green spectral range 545nm -575nm, where they achieve their maximum Strehl.

The narrow passband filtering reduces also the atmospheric turbulence blur, which has a wavelength dispersion. And this improvement is independent of the telescope art.

The popular polarizing filter pair is now in the socks drawer.

Best,

JG

• eros312 likes this

#15 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:02 PM

+1 for the 7MM Delite

VO

• SkyRanger and Tropobob like this

#16 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

This thread has been moved to the Eyepiece forum for a better fit.

• John_Moore likes this

#17 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:10 PM

Vixen HR's or Tak TOE's.  Start with the 3.4HR or 4mm TOE if worried about too much magnification.  You will likely be surprised and order more at smaller focal lengths.

• mikeDnight likes this

#18 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

Vixen HR or Tak TOE!!  They're both fantastic lines of eyepieces for Lunar observing. Tak Abbe Orthos are excellent too and alittle easier on the wallet. You could always Barlow a Tak 9mm Ortho.

• mikeDnight likes this

#19 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

Yes but there are not any 5mm or 7mm TOE or HR.

Personally my planetary lineup is 7T1, 5 Tak LE and 3.4 HR. All 10mm ER. The HR is too short FL for OP. On a budget I would look for a 7 Xcel LX or a used 7.5 pseudo Masayuma.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 04 June 2020 - 10:04 PM.

#20 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

Trying to eek I to some fine detail on the moon, I notice a some haze round the moon (I was using a cheap ultrawide ep and I’ve noticed my eyes have noticable scatter in then with bright lights). I sure this has been answered before, but what types of ep are people using to get the sharpest views (irrespective of apparent field of view). I see notes to Monocentrics, zao and Brandon’s, none of which seem available. Are generic orthos good, televue Plössls or other makes the best for teasing out detail?

Peter

I almost always binoview the moon these days, but for a while I had various eyepieces around the same focal length: 10mm Delos, 11mm DeLite, 10mm Baader Classic Ortho, 9mm Fujiyama HD ortho, 12.5 Fujiyama HD ortho, 10mm Ultramono, 11m Tele Vue Plossl.

I would say that *maybe* the 11 TV Plossl was the best of the whole bunch, but the eye relief is so tight that every time I switched back to the 11 DeLite, the comfort let me see detail FAR more easily. The 12.5 Fujis had contrast problems. The 9 Fuji was excellent. The 10 BCO was excellent in the center of the field (edges are intentionally blurry to make finding objects easier). The 10 Delos was as sharp and contrasty as the 11 DeLite, but I didn't like the exit pupil behavior. 10 Ultramono is just a non-starter in my un-driven F/5 scope that I use to look at the Moon most often.

In terms of combination of optical quality and comfort, the 11 DeLite is the winner by miles. The only thing holding me back from a full line of these is I prefer binoviewing, which requires a barlow to reach focus in my dob, therefore I need to use lower power eyepieces than DeLites most nights. I may buy both a 9 DeLite and 9 Tak Abbe to see if there's a noticeable difference between them when monoviewing.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 04 June 2020 - 11:02 PM.

#21 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:26 AM

Specialized lunar and planetary eyepieces available today:

-Tak TOE

-Vixen HR

-Tak orthos

-Brandons

-TV Plossls

-TV Delite

-TV Delos

-Pentax XW

Any will be sharper than a cheap ultrawide. Specially the first four that I mentioned.

#22 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

Binoviewing gives me the sensation of orbiting just above the lunar surface, in a way I don’t get with single eyepiece viewing. Coupled with a good Abbe ortho I find that the best package.

• mikeDnight likes this

#23 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

When the goal is maximizing detail, have consistently found that less glass is better.  So the simple Abbe Ortho or Plossl designs work great.  Use them with a quality Barlow and that will allow the more comfortable eye relief of the longer focal length eyepiece and not degrade the view one bit.  Also it is highly important to make sure the glass is clean, top and bottom, on the eyepiece as that will also produce some of the scatter you may be seeing.

Any of the standard Orthos current and old will work just fine: Fujiyama, Heutech, Takahashi, Baader, University Optics, Edmunds, Carton, vintage Celestron Volcano Tops, etc.  With Plossls, since that is the design that is standard so a lot of junk ones produced, I would stick with the more well known brands (not GSO though as they have IME a lot of scatter).  So for Plossls stick with things like Tele Vue, Vixen, and any of the old Orion Sirius/Ultrascopic or Meade Series 3000 and 4000 or Celestron varieties such as the 5-element Ultimas and many rebrandings of that (Baader Eudioscopic) where they are marked Made in Japan or Taiwan.

#24 Full Sun

Full Sun

Messenger

• Loc: NOTL, Ontario

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:38 AM

I have looked through quite a few eyepieces but two that jumped out at me when I first looked into the eyepiece:

-the Delite 7mm

-the Pentax  O-18
you can  probably add the TOE’s

#25 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:13 AM

With mention of binoviewing, as the view will be darker, but with the ability to reduce floaters vs a single eye view.... what sort of magnification vs single eye viewing do people typically try? The same, more, less?

Thanks

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics