•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpest eyepiece for lunar detail?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

I typically use the same magnifications binoviewing the Moon, if not more actually since it is so natural and comfortable compared to monoviewing.  As far as being dimmer, I don;t get that impression.  Perhaps because your brain reintegrates the total light thru both eyes, don;t know.  But never does the Moon appear dim to me binoviewing and with my 4" I typically binoview it at around 250x.

• mikeDnight likes this

#27 KTAZ

KTAZ

Ranger 4

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

Peter; you still haven't told us what scope you are using.

From what you have poste,d only regarding your f ratio, shall we just assume it is a 102mm refractor?

That info would help some folks with similar scopes give you some really precise help.

#28 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Currently a WO zenithstar II 80mm refractor. I have an 8”f4 imaging newtonian too, but the central obstruction will probably lower the contrast? The views through the refractor are great and I want to see how far I can take them mono or bino.

Petwr

#29 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

On Moon my best image varies. Scopetech 80/1000 with the native barlow before the diagonal (x2.5 / x2.6) and Brandon 12mm eyepiece.

As the f/D is very long, it works also with other eyepieces.

The barlowed scopetech's 14mm ortho works and my Burgess TMB 4mm rebaffled too but only in the best sky.

The 6mm ortho alone also but less comfortable.

Resolution obtained is the maximum for this scope.

On shorter f/D (Astro-Physics Starfire 130EDF), I prefer a TV Radian even if it has more scatter because correction is better.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#30 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

Peter, for the price of a single high end eyepiece you could buy a cheap binoviewer and a couple of cheap orthoscopics such as the Kson 16.8mm Super Abbey ortho's. Believe it or not, the cheap binoviewer & eyepiece combination will give you a vastly better lunar experience.  Around four years ago, a friend who wanted to try out my then Takahashi FC100DC, brought a number of great eyepieces to put my scope through its paces. The night was first class and the moon was high and at first quarter. He fit his TMB 5mm Super monocentric into the diagonal, and was stunned by the view the 100mm Tak gave. I looked through the 5mm mono and it was simply breathtaking. I then replaced the mono with my revelation binoviewer, 2X barlow and a pair of 16.8mm orthoscopics. The view was in a whole different league and far better than the single eyepice view. A binoviewer is a real game changer as far as the Moon is concerned, and you don't need to spend a fortune on expensive eyepiece pairs. Planetary observing also benefits from bino viewing. It's only rarely these days that I'll use a single eyepiece on the Moon or planets, as the binoviewer is so much better. And not dim at all!

• Allan Wade, naramsin, StarAlert and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics