•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ISS w/SpaceX Crew Dragon DM-2

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RSJ

RSJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hagerstown, MD

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

I was ready to begin imaging, but was without a target for the evening -then I remembered the Dragon launch and checked for visible passes on Heavens-Above.com.

There was an upcoming pass directly overhead in 30 minutes, which is great because I've often found the passes to be of low altitude lately and blocked by the trees at my location.

There was a quick realization that I would have to guide the OTA with one hand, and press the camera's shutter button with the other; I used 800 ISO @ 1/2000, and reluctantly chose JPEG format for the faster data transfer to the laptop, as I was going to be pressing the shutter button when ISS was in the finder's cross-hairs. 

I was tempted to try stacking a few images, but the vehicles perspective appeared to change too much between my captured images.

It was an action packed 4 minutes guiding by hand with the clutches released, the meridian flip went smoother than I anticipated; much was learned for the next attempt.

ISS w/SpaceX Crew Dragon DM-2

• Starman27, Ranger Tim, R Botero and 8 others like this

#2 Sheridan

Sheridan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:19 PM

Very cool!

#3 vidrazor

vidrazor

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

Nice! Is that extracting every last bit of detail from your shot? If your scope has enough reach, I wonder if tracking while running video may have been viable.

#4 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

Way cool.

#5 astrodom

astrodom

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

Very nice capture!  I'd like to try that sometime.  What was the focal length of your setup?

#6 RSJ

RSJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

Nice! Is that extracting every last bit of detail from your shot? If your scope has enough reach, I wonder if tracking while running video may have been viable.

It's not an example of optimum performance, it's the first step in that direction :)

I've been looking at a piece of software named SatelliteChaser which looks promising.

I'd like to image at higher focal lengths and the burst shooting I did when the ISS is in the crosshairs of the finder scope, will not be accurate enough. In fact, I was able to see motion blur in some of the frames while shooting at ISO 800,1/2000 -which I thought would be plenty fast.

I also have to consider the need for a meridian flip, which the software may not support.

All these challenges make this a good moon night pursuit for me.

• Scott Mitchell and vidrazor like this

#7 RSJ

RSJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

Very nice capture!  I'd like to try that sometime.  What was the focal length of your setup?

It wasn't enough, but I was timid in adding a stock barlow to the optical train. I used the T adapter with a 1.25 adapter, which I screwed a barlow lens into, the length between the T adapter and the end of the barlow lens was about 1/2-5/8"; this provides a focal length of 1870mm -the OTA is 799mm with only the DSLR.

In this configuration, I've unscrewed the end barlow lens from the silver 1.25" threaded tube on the barlow and screwed it into the T adapter, if I use the barlow in the stock configuration with the T adapter the focal length becomes 2229mm and is where I'd like to try imaging ISS next time.

• vidrazor likes this

#8 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:10 AM

What a nice shot!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics