•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Go to mount for dobsonian

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dseem13

dseem13

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hello. I have an 8” dob that I’ve had for a while and I was wondering if i could buy a goto mount for it or if I had to buy a whole new telescope. I’d like a system that finds what I’m looking for and maybe even tracks it. Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:51 PM

Will be a new scope - Skywatcher and I believe Orion have goto Dobsonians.

Used to be able to purchase a kit from Skywatcher for their scopes, however they ceased those some years ago.

Even putting it on an equitorial is an expensive exercise, again I expect over the cost of a goto dobsonian.

Is imaging a background thought?

If so research the requirements for "imaging", they are different to visual and at this time your OTA is visual. As I have said other times a visual scope is a fair sized reflectio, a good imaging scope is more like a 51mm Redcat.

#3 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

By the time you fool around with all of that, setting the encoders and whatnot, you're better off buying a whole new kit. A goto 8" dob can be had for $1000-1200 USD and a lot of scopes are going on sale right now so good time to buy. Supply chain might not be the greatest though. Been told by a couple shops they're having trouble getting inventory.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#4 dseem13

dseem13

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Thank you. Is one brand better than the other (Sky Watcher or Orion)? Astrophotography isn’t really on my radar right now, but thank you for making sure I knew that.

#5 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:12 PM

Thank you. Is one brand better than the other (Sky Watcher or Orion)? Astrophotography isn’t really on my radar right now, but thank you for making sure I knew that.

Orion, Celestron and Skywatcher are all made by the same manufacturer, Synta. Meade is another entity on its own. The main difference you'll see with Synta equipment is the goto software. They each have their own proprietary hand controllers and software thereof. It's more or less different flavors of the same thing and you'll get the gist of one once you get the other. I would say Celestron probably has the most intuitive and best customer support of the three, but at the end of the day, they accomplish the same purpose so go for the best price.

#6 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

Orion, Celestron and Skywatcher are all made by the same manufacturer, Synta. Meade is another entity on its own. The main difference you'll see with Synta equipment is the goto software. They each have their own proprietary hand controllers and software thereof. It's more or less different flavors of the same thing and you'll get the gist of one once you get the other. I would say Celestron probably has the most intuitive and best customer support of the three, but at the end of the day, they accomplish the same purpose so go for the best price.

They may also include different accessories that make any one brand a better or worse fit for your needs. Are you “all set” with regard to eyepieces? Barlows? Finder scope? That could be a deciding factor as well. If one comes with accessories you want, or if a different avoids accessories you DON’T want.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics