•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific Eyepieces

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:00 AM

ES make great eyepieces that generally compare well to TV. Where the main difference starts to show for me is as the scopes get faster. That’s generally in the dob world, with larger scopes, but that’s still a small pool of the overall observers. Most everyone I know with sub f/4 dobs have a case full of TeleVue. Outside that there’s lots of good ES options.

• CeleNoptic, sopticals, havasman and 2 others like this

#27 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:27 AM

ES gets my respect & patronage for their own innovative designs; the 12 & 17mm 92°s, 9mm 120°, 25 & 30mm 100°. And also waterproofing, though not original in field hobbies.

I also like their box designs.

Edited by 25585, 08 June 2020 - 06:28 AM.

• mr_snout likes this

#28 Jenya_M

Jenya_M

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: OH, USA

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Well, I just attempted to use last night ES 8.8mm 82º 1.25" with my Orion 150 Mak on planets and result is pretty bad - the glare around these isso intense to the point it's unusable. However, on Moon with moon filter it provides awesome views at x200 and 82º FOV

#29 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

Well, I just attempted to use last night ES 8.8mm 82º 1.25" with my Orion 150 Mak on planets and result is pretty bad - the glare around these isso intense to the point it's unusable. However, on Moon with moon filter it provides awesome views at x200 and 82º FOV

I'm not surprised.  Certain ES eyepieces and focal extenders have glare issues.  Not sure if it is caused by glass, coatings, polish, or baffling.

But it is also true that sky conditions and the telescope can cause such issues.  Have you had a chance to try different eyepieces on the planets to check for glare?

• tphili1959 likes this

#30 Jenya_M

Jenya_M

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: OH, USA

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

Sure, on comparable magnification level, I use Baader zoom and Burgess Optical Ultra Mono 10mm without glare issues. Burgess provides the best results so far, Baader not too bad as well. Can't wait when Burgess start selling 8mm mono. Planets are very good now - Mars starting show up it features and Jupiter's view of red dot was awesome last night

Edited by Jenya_M, 20 June 2020 - 10:38 AM.

• russell23 likes this

#31 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

Sure, on comparable magnification level, I use Baader zoom and Burgess Optical Ultra Mono 10mm without glare issues. Burgess provides the best results so far, Baader not too bad as well. Can't wait when Burgess start selling 8mm mono. 

That is what I would expect.  That 8.8mm ES82 is a decent eyepiece for DSO, but I strongly prefer the 9mm Morpheus.

• 25585 likes this

#32 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:07 PM

Did you try another similar FL eyepiece? How do you know the glare was from the eyepiece as opposed to the scope? I have run into some glare issues with bright objects with my 6” Mak. Certainly not as well baffled as my Apo.

I don’t have the ES 8.8 so you might be right on the money. It seems to have a very good reputation though.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 20 June 2020 - 07:09 PM.

#33 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

I've owned TV eyepieces exclusively, but last week I purchased my first ES, the 24mm/ 68 deg./1.25." I tried it out this past Sat. nite at our club's dark-sky observing site and overall I was very pleased with it, although it is susceptible to blackouts, which makes eye placement more critical than with any of my TVs.  A big plus for me is that 1.25" oculars don't require me to re-balance my scope every time I change them, and they are quite a bit less expensive.

• CeleNoptic likes this

#34 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

I'm glad I read this thread before ordering eyepieces. I'm expecting a 10" dob F/4.7 1200mm so I'll get the TV eyepieces. Yes, they are expensive but I want the best possible view my eyepiece and telescope can provide on planets and DOS as the seeing will allow. And if it'll take me 2 or 3 months, maybe more, to save up the money just to buy one eyepiece so be it. The way I see it, it's a waste of money to buy an eyepiece that disappoints at viewing and that money could have gone to an eyepiece that will last me for years.

~Robin

#35 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

I agree completely with russell23 that ES' price increases have left room for a new group of "best buy" eyepieces in the market from APM and the Baader Morpheus. I found the APM HDC performance better than the ES100's and at lower cost. But I thought several of the ES82's also better than the ES100's. There are 3 ES68's in my ep case and they're all keepers. In general, money spent on ES eyepieces is well spent and particularly in the secondary markets. The only exception IME is the 100's where I think the APM's win the price/performance contest. 

• 25585 likes this

#36 25585

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:53 AM

Morpheus 76° AFOV is really in 80 to 82° territory. Some Morphei exceed 76°, I read in an old thread.

While not quite the new normal, eyepieces in that AFOV category are quite common.

ES82s are in some cases, old optics from Meade UWAs days, both made by JOC. Nagler 4s are not exactly spring chickens anymore either. 

I am hoping for more ES92s.....

• bmurphy495 and Volvonium like this

#37 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:04 PM

The earlier ES82 8.8mm Nitrogen purged, had a glare issue.  ES provided a felt ring to stick onto the bottom to stop it.  I still have a couple in a drawer, if you want one just PM me

#38 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

I'm glad I read this thread before ordering eyepieces. I'm expecting a 10" dob F/4.7 1200mm so I'll get the TV eyepieces. Yes, they are expensive but I want the best possible view my eyepiece and telescope can provide on planets and DOS as the seeing will allow. And if it'll take me 2 or 3 months, maybe more, to save up the money just to buy one eyepiece so be it. The way I see it, it's a waste of money to buy an eyepiece that disappoints at viewing and that money could have gone to an eyepiece that will last me for years.

~Robin

Can’t go wrong with TV, but there are other options that perform just as well. Sometimes a bit more expensive, sometimes a bit cheaper. Only shopping TV is like wanting a luxury car and only shopping Mercedes. Mercedes is certainly very good. But some people like BMW or Tesla better. Nice to have options. Even if they aren’t any cheaper, the specifications might better suit you. If you want 100 AFOV it is hard to argue against TV. Yeah maybe the Nikon is a touch better but it is significantly more expensive, unless you really like barlowing. And more focal length options with Ethos. UWA again hard to argue against TV, although I am finding the new APM 12.5 more tempting than a 13 Nagler, but the eye relief is part of the attraction which might not be a factor for you. Tak has their 90 AFOV series that are supposed to be amazing but they cost nearly twice as much as Naglers. So if you don’t need long ER and want ultrawide/hyperwide, TV is largely the way to go. There might be slightly better options but they cost as much or more.

Of course there is also the issue that for less than the price of a Nagler, you can have a very good hyperwide.

Planetary or long eye relief eyepieces are where you really see more competition for TV.

FWIW last night I welcomed back the Double Double with my 4” Vixen achro, a scope easily capable of splitting these tight doubles. I tried splitting them with a mid-grade UWA , 10mm Luminos, but no go. Then I switched to the 7T1 Nagler and split them cleanly.

Now maybe 100x just wasn’t quite enough power to split the tight double and 140x was. That’s certainly possible. But it also felt like the view through the Nagler was just a touch sharper. So quality does make a difference. I certainly like TV eyepieces. But TV isn’t the only premium quality brand.

Scott
  • BFaucett likes this

#39 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Can’t go wrong with TV, but there are other options that perform just as well. Sometimes a bit more expensive, sometimes a bit cheaper. Only shopping TV is like wanting a luxury car and only shopping Mercedes. Mercedes is certainly very good. But some people like BMW or Tesla better.

Scott

Actually I prefer muscle cars. Mopars...Hemi 'Cuda especially. bow.gif I will look around for other EPs, but TV will definitely be on my list. Thanks.

~Robin

#40 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

As it should be

#41 25585

Cosmos

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:48 AM

Actually I prefer muscle cars. Mopars...Hemi 'Cuda especially. bow.gif I will look around for other EPs, but TV will definitely be on my list. Thanks.

~Robin

"Muscle car" eyepiece = ES120 9mm sumo.gif

#42 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

At 1295g, it takes muscle to lift that one. For the Americans, that's 2.9 lbs!

• SeattleScott likes this

#43 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

Perhaps choice reflects on your main scope used and the frequent sky conditions in your area.

Say I quickly become confused on suggested eyepieces.

Was excited on the ES release of the 52 series as pleasing low prices, but duped by least for me inferior 6.5mm 52, doesn't focus sharp at all. My pinhole 6mm ortho blew it Away! Again my other ES do rather well.

Baader 10mm ortho gives pleasing image, Clave 8mm does well, 4.8mm Nagler when conditions Permit.

My surprise winner often is the Pentax 7.5mm, pleasing exit pupil and bright planetary images, glad I have this one.

My scope most often used is the XT8i as swift setup and easy handling.

Hope everyone finds their prized eyepieces, so many to explore, glad we have this forum Indeed!

XT10 pull this puppie out soon as Mars continues its encounter, already higher in the sky, anxious!!

Clear Sky!

Note back several decades ago at White Pines Park, then a dark site! Chicago group out and a fellow had cupped in his hand one of the expensive eyepieces. It's contact was beyond belief. Best description view of the stars were like diamond on black velvet, no exaggeration, even showed in my then inferior Scope! Not a clue on its name, perhaps no longer available. Amusing he carefully placed and removed on each scope. Wow!

Edited by phillip, 24 June 2020 - 12:04 PM.

#44 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:42 AM

rofl2.gif  funnypost.gif funnypost.gif 

• 25585 and SILENCER like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics