•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

60mm ED scope balance on EQ-6 Pro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hi everyone, quick question, does a 60mm ED scope (like the AT60ED, Apertura 60EDR, WO Zenithstar 61, etc) balance on an EQ-6 Pro or is it too light to balance?

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

No, it will balance.  Just use a light counterweight and slide it up on the shaft.

#3 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

The thought is I’d like to have just one mount (for now) and have other scopes I would like to do AP (for more image scale) is a 120ED and 8 inch Edge HD scope (I would use a reduced).

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

With a camera, possibly filterwheel, guidescope, guide camera, flattener, etc....plenty of weight on top to need the counterweight to balance.  Your CW will likely be pretty far up the shaft, but this is not a bad thing...

:)

#5 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

I would like something lighter, but wow, for what it is, it seems to be a good value and would be a better match for my ED120 (with 0.85x reducer/corrector) and C8HD (with 0.7x reducer) giving me nice focal length "dymanic range", 60EDR for large objects, 120ED for most objects, and the C8HD for small objects.  (I know to use an OAG with the C8)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics