•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking Mentor - New with a Celestron NexStar 6SE Telescope

beginner Celestron observing
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MapleRidge20

MapleRidge20

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maple Ridge BC - Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

Hi,

I am just a seedling in dirt when it comes to astronomy. But I am learning. I bought this telescope, but to be honest I am having troubles. I think I know how to set it up...However, when I looked at the moon it was close...but not super close. When I look at stars they look about as close as if I was looking at them without a telescope.

Long story short...I am looking for a MENTOR. Is anyone open to working with me. I was going to join a club, but COVID has put a damper on that idea.

Thanks for listening.

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

If you're using 100x the moon will appear as if you were 100 times closer. Instead of 238,000 miles it will be 23,800 miles. The same thing happens to stars. Instead of looking like it is 1000 light years away it appears as if it was only 100 light years away. Instead of being 0.000000001 arc-sec it is 0.00000001 arc-sec (I'm making up these numbers but you get the idea).

Spend some time in the Celestron Computerized Telescopes forum while you're waiting on the pandemic to finally end.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Ranger 4

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

I am just a seedling in dirt when it comes to astronomy. But I am learning. I bought this telescope, but to be honest I am having troubles. I think I know how to set it up...However, when I looked at the moon it was close...but not super close. When I look at stars they look about as close as if I was looking at them without a telescope.

Long story short...I am looking for a MENTOR. Is anyone open to working with me. I was going to join a club, but COVID has put a damper on that idea.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome, Maple. You will get about 1000 mentors here on CN. grin.gif  A few tips.

Your best bet is to identify a few specific questions and then post them to an appropriate sub-forum. If you aren't specific, it will lead to advice; advice is often based on opinion. Not necessarily the best way to learn since you will get lots of different opinions.

One thing I would suggest is for you to download and play with Stellarium. It is a free software that will allow you to simulate your specific scope focal length using different eyepieces and different targets. Really helpful. Just remember that these programs use photos for objects that were often obtained through time lapse photography. That means you should not always expect to see what is shown on the screen. Especially when it comes to faint galaxies.

Oh, and be sure to describe what your equipment is and what you are most interested in observing.

Edited by KTAZ, 02 June 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#4 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

Welcome MapleRidge20. You can have all the mentors you will ever need (probably more than you will ever need!) on this forum.

Remember:  there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Ask away. We love to help.

#5 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

I'd strongly recommend taking an online course in introductory astronomy... along with buying this book:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/1108457568/

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

Stars always look the same size but brighter stars seem to be bigger. Stars are pinpoints of light.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Celestron, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics