•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oumuamua a hydrogen ice body?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

Interesting analysis:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.12932

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

How do you pronounce "Oumaumau". For the longest time I thought it was like that "Beach-boys" song "a-papa-oomau-mau a-papa-ooma-mau". What do you think?

I believe it's a Hawaiian name. So, please let me know how to say the name, thanks.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#3 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

"Oh-ooo-mayoo-mayoo" I think

#4 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

Interesting analysis:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.12932

Would that imply it was never orbiting a star at all?

#5 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Would that imply it was never orbiting a star at all?

According to the article there could be many of these bodies that formed deep inside the low temperature cores of giant molecular clouds.  So I think that is right.  These would not be planet formation products.  They would be ablated by the high temperatures of a protoplanetary disk.

Edited by russell23, 03 June 2020 - 11:03 AM.

#6 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

How do you pronounce "Oumaumau". For the longest time I thought it was like that "Beach-boys" song "a-papa-oomau-mau a-papa-ooma-mau". What do you think?

I believe it's a Hawaiian name. So, please let me know how to say the name, thanks.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

I can't speak to the pronunciation (I've always pronounced it as ooo-mua-mua), but yes, it's Hawaiian. It essentially means "scout", or even "first scout" ahead of an exploration party.

I checked the wiki page since it's been a while since I last investigated the etymology, and apparently the name "Rama" was initially under consideration. That would've been too cool! Such a great book from my youth. Always hoped for a movie version!!

#7 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

According to the article there could be many of these bodies that formed deep inside the low temperature cores of giant molecular clouds.  So I think that is right.  These would not be planet formation products.  They would be ablated by the high temperatures of a protoplanetary disk.

Yeah, I don't know if I ever considered the study of solid hydrogen bodies as its own branch of research.  There's got to be some gems in there -- for example, these might be the seeds that the cores of stars later grow around...

But even if it's predominantly solid hydrogen, if it came from the core of a GMC, there should be enough icy impurities, I would think, for outgassing products to be detectable.

#8 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

When Oumaumau passed, I was in touch with the alien pilots inside.

(you would not understand how even if I explained it)

They explained that that the correct pronunciation is "Bob"

• DSOGabe likes this

#9 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Mariner 2

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

First thing that came to mind when it was announced was the starship in Jack McDevitt's novel "Chindi"

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics