•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally have a mostly complete color filter set

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fowlerville, MI

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

Just getting back into using my telescope and have an old celestron #58 filter that really helped with tbe moon. I have a small budget so found a good deal on mostly Tiffen filters with 3 old Celesteons. Now I have almost all (missing #47 and #82A). Now I see they have nebula filters so I will need to get a few but they are pricey. To bad it's going to be awhile before I can try these out as crappy weather is moving in. I have never enjoyed my scope as much as I have over the last few weeks and it should get better wih these filters.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200602_114603~2-666x864.jpg

• payner, Allan Wade and j.gardavsky like this

#2 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:47 PM

Nice haul! As someone who used to do a lot of planet sketching, I've always been an advocate of having a comprehensive set of color filters. They can be very helpful when doing long, detailed sketches over long periods. And individually they aren't expensive so it's easy to build a collection piecemeal without ever breaking the bank. Just know that a lot of the enhancements you see will be subtle, and like any piece of gear, color filters have a bit of a learning curve. Swapping out filters while sketching is a really good way to get a feel for what they can do. 

What I like to do is keep all of my 1.25" filters organized and labeled in a Plano plastic case from Home Depot with simple foam inserts. Makes it easy to locate the filter I need quickly in the dark. It's cheap and makes life easy. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 264EF2B6-C732-494B-B324-D92A929A3642.jpeg

• payner, eros312, fate187 and 2 others like this

#3 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:53 AM

I iike that idea of storage, and my next question was going to be what is best way to store as most mine do not have indivdual hardcases. Does the foam seem to cause any problems over time? I know some foam breaks down over time and don't want to ruin the lenses.

#4 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

I've had them in that case for about 7 years and haven't run into any issues so far.

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:57 AM

People often talk down color filters, and I suppose for the beginner that's understandable. However, they can be useful for planetary and lunar observing. Subtle, but useful. I should have tried some on Venus when it was around.

#6 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Why would people talk down color filters? With the one I had I noticed a difference when I used it. Now I probably have some I don't need but for $5.50 each I'd rather have it then not. I am still looking for a #47 and #82A

#7 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

I think #82A is one of my top 3 most indispensable filters, and I would highly recommend prioritizing that one. #47 is very aggressive and a limited use filter, but 82A is enormously flexible.

#8 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

I have seen 82A as being really good. Just need to find one.

#9 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

I was able to briefly try out some of my new filters,WOW!!! #21 does a really nice job on the moon. I fried ND9 also and it did well also but I think 6 or even 3 may have been been better choice but did not try tonight. I tried my polarizer and I am not sure it really helped with the double ouble in Lyre. It js possible I may not be using enough magnafication but the moon is almost full so I sky is pretty bright. So glad I picked all these up, and for anyone who is reading this and on the fence for buying color filters, DO IT. Find nice vintage ones, they really help.

#10 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

The #21 is awesome on the Moon.

• BFaucett likes this

#11 Frisky

Frisky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:44 AM

I'm not huge into filters of any kind, but I have three Meades I can comment on.

1. Meade ND96 moon filter has 13% transmission. I don't use it in my personal viewing, as I use high magnification to greatly reduce brightness. However, when I zoom out to show others the full moon or nearly full moon, I use it, or someone complains the brightness hurts their eyes. 

2. Light yellow #8. It's a very pale filter with a color shift so slight, you can hardly notice it in my refractor. My scope shows far less CA than it's supposed to show, and this filter reduces it even more, to where it's just not noticeable unless you try hard to see it. It also can give a slightly improved view of Saturn on some nights. I try it, once in a while, on Venus too.

3. Light blue #82A. I try this one on the moon, Saturn and Venus and it never hurts the view. Sometimes, it might even be a little better than my preferred natural view. 

I've also experimented with stacking the #8 and #82A on Venus.

Joe

• russell23 likes this

#12 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:31 AM

I enjoying views of tbe moon with and without filters, just depends on what I want to do for viewing. Cirrently do not have any planets to see so it's the moon and some stars atm. I am trying like heck to see M57 but I have no idea if i've seen it yet, just not sure how it would look througb a 6' scooe and what magnification you need to know you seen it.

#13 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Hi Moonbiter,

and congratulations to the stack of the Tiffens.

Herewith, you will realy be biting in the finest details on the Moon a planets.

On a side line, as the astronomy filters are not enough, I have started to repurpose the special filters from the microscopes accessories.

Let us know, how your Tiffens will be doing,
JG

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

Just getting back into using my telescope and have an old celestron #58 filter that really helped with tbe moon. I have a small budget so found a good deal on mostly Tiffen filters with 3 old Celesteons. Now I have almost all (missing #47 and #82A). Now I see they have nebula filters so I will need to get a few but they are pricey. To bad it's going to be awhile before I can try these out as crappy weather is moving in. I have never enjoyed my scope as much as I have over the last few weeks and it should get better wih these filters.

Filters useful in Astronomy:

Colored Filters for Moon and planets:

Reds: 29, 25, 23A

Oranges: 21

Yellows: 15, 12, 8

Greens: 11, 56, 58

Blues: 38A, 80A, 82A

Violets: 47

Magenta: 30

Specialty: Baader Moon & Sky Glow (Jupiter), Baader Contrast Booster (Mars)

Neutral density: 13% (full or near full moon), 25% (half full to gibbous), 50% (crescent to half full)

Polarizing: Single (for sharpening), Variable (to replace ND filters)

Nebula filters:

Broadband--small enhancement

Narrowband (UHC)--large improvement

O-III line filter--super enhancement on specific objects

H-ß line filter--super enhancement on specific objects.

• Illinois and payner like this

#15 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

Optica b/c filters are my favorites.  Here are mostly complete sets in 1.25" and .965" including interference filters and ND.  It's taken a long time to accumulate them.  They are extremely well made.  The interference filters have low transmission rates compared to modern filters.  There are also IR and true UV and polarizing filters.  Optica b/c also published a fine book to accompany their filters that is loaded with good information on using filters.

Attached Thumbnails

• filters (1).jpg

• epee, payner, eros312 and 2 others like this

#16 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:42 AM

^^^

That's impressive.

bow.gif

#17 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

Nice set CharlieB!

#18 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:19 PM

Optica b/c filters are my favorites.  Here are mostly complete sets in 1.25" and .965" including interference filters and ND.  It's taken a long time to accumulate them.  They are extremely well made.  The interference filters have low transmission rates compared to modern filters.  There are also IR and true UV and polarizing filters.  Optica b/c also published a fine book to accompany their filters that is loaded with good information on using filters.

Great set!

And you have still place left for more than a dozen of other filters,

JG

#19 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:58 PM

Thank you.  Most of those empty slots have been filled.  Oddly enough, the only one I can't seem to find is the light red.  That one should be easy, but it's not.  One other interesting thing about the Opticas is that the 1.25" and .965" use the same size glass - only the cells are different.

Charlie

• j.gardavsky likes this

#20 Andrekp

Andrekp

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

You don’t have leopard or zebra pattern.  You really are just wasting time if you haven’t gotten a reasonable collection of animal print filters for planetary viewing.

• Benjamin6264 likes this

#21 Zamboni

Zamboni

Apollo

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

You don’t have leopard or zebra pattern. You really are just wasting time if you haven’t gotten a reasonable collection of animal print filters for planetary viewing.

You're forgetting plaid. You can only use it with really FAST optical systems though.
  • Andrekp likes this

#22 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

I just put a Ronchi screen over the filter for a zebra effect.  As for leopards, I have plenty of dust on my eyepieces that provide for that.

• epee, Andrekp and Benjamin6264 like this

#23 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 AM

You don’t have leopard or zebra pattern.  You really are just wasting time if you haven’t gotten a reasonable collection of animal print filters for planetary viewing.

I can't see any Tarten either.

#24 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted Today, 02:18 AM

Moonbiter, try to find an #82A or even a deep violet (is there one ?). The point is that the blue wavelengths  ( ~ 500 =nm) are shorter than green and red, and if you have a scope with exquisite optics this may give better resolution on the moon. Particularly if its a newtonian, classical cassegrain, or one of the unicorn premium Maksutovs. 

If you have a Mewlon, Vixen VMC or refractor it may, or may not help. SCT's probably won't show any difference.

@Deathwarpedup, you mean "tartan", surely ?

Edited by luxo II, Today, 02:23 AM.

#25 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Today, 04:19 AM

@Deathwarpedup, you mean "tartan", surely ?

Weirdly, both tartan and tarten seem to work on a google search

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics