So I have this old Tasco here, and I want to remove the eyecups. But they refuse to unscrew. They are lightweight plastic, so they are certainly capable of breaking under pressure. How would you go about getting these babies unstuck? I can probably get a liquid under the small gap at the top, but what would be a good choice for a plastic eyecup screwed onto a metal thread?
Eyecups are Stuck
Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:01 PM
Could they be one-piece with the silver serrated eyepiece covers? If so are there any grub screws securing the covers?
- hallelujah and SMark like this
Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:14 PM
Consider that the previous owner applied some sort of adhesive underneath them... I had one or two that fit that category. Maybe a light blow with a soft rubber mallet? Or lightly grasping them with a rubber grip pad (like a jar opener) inside the jaws of a some slip-joint pliers?
- SMark likes this
Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:45 PM
The way this is supposed to happen is that I have a pair of binoculars with stuck eyecups and I ask you how to get them unstuck..
What is the world coming to? First the Corona Virus Pandemic and now this??? Who would have ever thought....
- deepwoods1, Grimnir, SMark and 1 other like this
Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:53 PM
Lol. Yeah, I've removed so many eyecups... I'm pretty sure these are the same as the ones below. And I have removed many of these from other Tasco binoculars before, as they have been used on a few different models. And I've had a few that were a little tight, but this set is not budging at all. Perhaps they have been glued, as aa5te suggests. I'll proceed with that suggestion and see where it gets me...
- Jon Isaacs likes this
Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:03 PM
Have you tried the rubber strap? Boa Constrictor ?? is one brand. Harbor freight have some decent ones. Avoid their cheapest model. That strap breaks ( if they yet sell those).
Or tightly wrap a rubber band, hold it with another rubber band, and then use a professional strap wrench, such as Rigid.
- SMark and Foss like this
Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:37 AM
Thanx to all, they are finally both off. For the first one (on the left) I took a bit of Frank's advice and loosened the grub screw holding the eyepiece surround in place. Once removed, pressure that was holding the eyecup firmly in place was released, and I easily unscrewed it. For the right eyecup, I used Gordon's suggestion of wrapping it with a rubber band, and then took a pliers to the rubber band and gently worked to loosen the eyecup until I could unscrew it. Both of them had a lot of crud on the threads. But they are both in perfect condition, and will soon be installed onto their new binocular!
I just love group success!
- Jon Isaacs, hallelujah and Grimnir like this
Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:20 AM
I was about to suggest a rubber strap wrench combined with gentle heating - ah well late to the party again.
Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:44 PM
I do have a fairly large strap wrench that I use often for bigger jobs, but it was just too big for this job. The rubber band was a great suggestion, and worked like a charm.
Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:10 PM
For future reference, and along the lines of a rubber-grip jar opener, some kitchen shears have a bottlecap-sized grip just forward of the hinge.
If you can secure the jar/bino body, you can judiciously apply grip pressure from both ends to get some leverage.
Haven't broken a bottle yet!
- SMark likes this