•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Large Dob Storage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KingofBattle

KingofBattle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

So I've got a new XX14G coming my way anytime now (I've been waiting for it to come off backorder since April! lol) and I've been looking at how to take care of it.  I've already got the plans I want for detachable wheel barrow handles and wheels and I need to figure out how to store it.  

The Orion storage cases are nice but I'm not sold on them.  I know if you spend almost $2700 bucks on a tube, 300 for a set of cases shouldn't be a deal breaker but I'm just not convinced they're worth the price.  

I've looked around for alternative cases to save a bit of money and found Drum cases and they're alright, but b/c they wouldn't exactly fit, I'm not sold on them. 

I then started looking at plastic storage bins and think I've come up with my plan.  I want to get either one bin that fits both the upper and lower tube assemblies together or I could get 2 smaller bins to fit them separately.  I would get memory foam, cut it out to fit the bottom of the storage bin then double layer it w/ a cut out to fit the tube laying down side ways. Or if I found one tall enough I could keep the tube vertically.  I'm finding bins that have rubber seals to help keep out moisture and dust, and the hard case generally should protect better than a soft shell.

But what am I missing?  Can I store the lower assembly sideways? or should I always store it vertically, even in a setup like this?  Weight and size aren't a terrible concern to me.   I also have a pickup, so space isn't a huge deal.  

Thanks for any advice, guidance or "food for thought! as I'm very new to all this!

Possible Bin: https://www.lowes.co...-Lid/1000421927

Memory Foam (cut it) : https://www.amazon.c...EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

Edited by KingofBattle, 02 June 2020 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:28 PM

King:

Congratulations on your new scope.  :whee:

I store my truss tube Dobs two ways, assembled and disassembled.  In both cases I store them under covers.  I "nest" these scope when storing it disassembled.  The mirror box sits in the rocker box, the upper cage sits on top of the mirror box and the cover goes over everything.  

This photo shows the 16 inch in the back of my Nissan Frontier, it shows how I store it, I'd slip the cover over it.

dobstuff in nissan frontier.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jon

• KingofBattle likes this

#3 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:45 PM

Congrats on your new toy. Some food for thought. If you own your own place and have the room for it; I would think about building or getting an observatory. That way you don't have to worry about lugging it out everytime you want to observe. There are two types that I know of, hey guys help me out here. The dome like the type professional astronomers use. They come in different sizes. Or build a roll off roof observatory. You can find the plans online. Hey, if my mom can build a chicken coop out of pallets, you can build a roll off roof observatory. That way you don't have to worry about moving it around and having to collimate the scope every night you want to observe.

• KingofBattle likes this

#4 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:28 AM

In case you're not aware of it, you are not going to be pulling your XX14g apart after every session to put it in those cases. That is the fastest way I know of to lose interest in observing because of the great hassle involved in preparing your dob.  

So, here's the low down. If you haven't seen an XX14g in the flesh, you are going to be surprised by how big and heavy it is. Definitely install a set of wheelbarrow handles so you can wheel the dob around without having to disassemble it. Then buy yourself a good scope cover from Astrosystems or Orion to keep the dust off the dob between sessions.

I have custom made dob cases for transporting my dobs around. That's the only time they get used, when transporting the scopes. If that is something you plan to do, you could look at getting cases, or even wrap the parts in blankets to protect things.

• Bill Jensen, wky46, ShaulaB and 2 others like this

#5 wky46

wky46

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ohio Co., Ky.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

I don’t even cover mine after viewing. Too covered in dew. I only cover the dry glass.

But then again, mine’s all aluminum 

I used to bring my SCT in, wipe it down and then had to blow dry the whole thing just so I could cover it. That went on for a season but jeez, that took 20mins or more. I’d still get rust on the tripod legs, anyway.

However, I probably would do the same if I had a wooden dob

I now just quickly wipe down either scope but only if I bring it in. And only cover it after it dries if I’m not planning on viewing for a few nights

*so putting it away in a bin for me would take great effort at the end of a long and damp night of viewing 

Edited by wky46, 03 June 2020 - 02:02 PM.

#6 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

My truss dob stays assembled on a home made leveling platform on my enclosed back porch.

When it's dry and I won't be using it for a few days I slip a mattress cover I bought from UHaul

over it. When I want to observe, it just rolls out onto my observing deck.

#7 MOwen

MOwen

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

The bin from Lowe's looks to be a good option.  Just keep in mind that the Lower Tube Assembly weighs in at about 45 lbs. so you will have to lift it high enough to set down in the box.  Also, if you are going mobile, you would have to lift the tube and the box, unless you have a set of loading ramps.  The 'beast' part of the xx14g is the ground base unit at 55 lbs.  If you don't want to roll it like a wheel, you will need a hand truck or some other cart to ease that task.  I have the Orion storage cases and I must say I'm quite attached to the one for the truss poles and the one for the Upper Tube Assembly, not so much the one for the Lower Tube.

I went over the top as far as weight management goes and now have the scope on a removable dolly (all home-made).  If I leave off the truss tubes and Upper Tube Assembly, I can move the whole thing up into the back of the van using a small 12v winch.  When the scope is in viewing position, it takes me < 2 minutes to remove the dolly, zero lifting involved.  Details on request.

I also made a couple of tools (mostly out of wood) that are amazingly helpful for setup and alignment.  Send me a PM if you would like to see/discuss those on the side.  If you haven't messaged yet, just hover over (or click on) my name MOwen and follow the message link.

#8 KingofBattle

KingofBattle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!  I definitely am looking forward to this huge scope when I get it. I will probably be doing what most of you are generally saying and keeping it assembled in my garage until I wheel it in my backyard.  

stargazer; thanks for pointing out something I've not heard or even seen mentioned (roll off roof observatory) and now "just because" I think I'm going to do a bit more research into the more permanent observatory ideas.

MOwen; I sent you a message; can't wait to see what you've put together!

Once again, thanks so much guys for all your advice!

#9 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!  I definitely am looking forward to this huge scope when I get it. I will probably be doing what most of you are generally saying and keeping it assembled in my garage until I wheel it in my backyard.  

stargazer; thanks for pointing out something I've not heard or even seen mentioned (roll off roof observatory) and now "just because" I think I'm going to do a bit more research into the more permanent observatory ideas.

MOwen; I sent you a message; can't wait to see what you've put together!

Once again, thanks so much guys for all your advice!

You are most welcome. smile.gif That is one thing I'm planning on doing when I move in with my daughter. I think I will buy one because I'm not as good at building things like my mom is. Plus I'm waiting on buying a much bigger scope. I just put a down payment on a 10" dob today and am looking forward to this fall when after the first hard freeze, I will be trying it out. I don't do any stargazing in the summer. Too many bugs. I don't like anything that more than four legs. bigshock.gif

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Jakke

Jakke

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Blauvac - South of France

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

Perhaps you could consider something like this smile.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=kw5M__h4gpA

#11 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

Perhaps you could consider something like this smile.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=kw5M__h4gpA

That's right up my alley. Very nice!!!

#12 jg97

jg97

Lift Off

• Loc: Somewhere - Banned by Fred

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

this worked nicely for me http://www.jimsmobil....htm#Dobsonians

I also had the Orion cases - highly recommend.  Great for transport and storage.

• Guedovsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics