•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Attempt at Imaging - Moon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:16 PM

My first attempt at taking a picture of an astronomical object. Looks a little soft though. I need to work on my focusing technique.

Scope: Celestron C8 Starbright XLT

Mount: Explore Scientific G11 PMC-Eight

Camera: Unmodified Olympus E-520

Shot at ISO 200, 1/100 sec exposure, aperture priority. No processing.

Pic #1:

P6023930_small.jpg

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 02 June 2020 - 11:44 PM.

• Kenny V., Jim Waters, eros312 and 2 others like this

#2 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:16 PM

Pic #2:

P6023954_small.jpg

-Bob

• eros312 and Foc like this

#3 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:06 AM

You first picture is always important as it can be the first step in a very interesting journey.  Have you thought of taking multiple snaps and aligning them?  Certainly you should be able to get better with what you have. Often though it is seeing conditions that are limiting.  Whatever gear you have you are always going to want a better outcome than what one typically achieves, but really, given your existing investment in a decent equatorial mount and C8 you should at least consider getting a specialized ZWO or similar camera and possibly the Celestron flattener/reducer to get your mount and scope to shine.

Edited by Foc, 03 June 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#4 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

You first picture is always important as it can be the first step in a very interesting journey.  Have you thought of taking multiple snaps and aligning them?  Certainly you should be able to get better with what you have. Often though it is seeing conditions that are limiting.  Whatever gear you have you are always going to want a better outcome than what one typically achieves, but really, given your existing investment in a decent equatorial mount and C8 you should at least consider getting a specialized ZWO or similar camera and possibly the Celestron flattener/reducer to get your mount and scope to shine.

Yes it is the first step. I can try multiples and aligning them. I think part of the issue is that the scope may not have reached equilibrium quite yet.

A dedicated astro camera is on my list. I am experimenting with what I have just to see the results. I know the Olympus isn't the best for this application. I do have the flattener/reducer.

Thanks for the comments.

-Bob

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

nice work and nice start .

thanks .

#6 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

Here's another attempt with a different telescope, a Stellarvue SV102-Access:

P6264016_small.jpg

I did do a some processing on it to change the white balance and upped the EV a little. I think it's better than my first attempt with the C8. I probably didn't wait long enough for the C8 to reach equilibrium.

I'm still learning though.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 27 June 2020 - 01:45 PM.

• DMach likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics