•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thank you for your help- nexstar aligns properly and is tracking well

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jacksonite22

Jacksonite22

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:21 PM

Appreciate the input from the forum - was able to resolve my issues with a factory reset and reentering of appropriate location, time data etc. working like a champ now. Checking out m13 and m5 and hope to see a lot more with less light pollution down here in Houston when it take this scope out to Big Bend.
  • Michael_Swanson likes this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:06 AM

Take the new location data with you when you go OR add Big Bend as a second custom location before.

IF you add Big Bend now then be aware that the scope uses the last location entered.

So if you enter Big Bend now then the scope will use the Big Bend location immediatly, you have to go back and select Houston again.

Have always said these automatic, computerised scopes are amazingly manual in reality.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#3 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:47 AM

Or add GPS and never worry about location/time:)

#4 Jacksonite22

Jacksonite22

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

Or add GPS and never worry about location/time:)

Jeff, I did have my GPS and I don't know if the computer isn't picking it up correctly or not.  Celestron advertises this accessory as plug and play or is there something in the settings to tell it to use the attached GPS? 

#5 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gaspe Peninsula

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

is there something in the settings to tell it to use the attached GPS? 

Yes, for the SE at least. From the manual:

GPS On/Off - Allows you to turn on\off the GPS module when using the optional CN16 GPS accessory. When aligning the telescope, the NexStar still receives information, such as current time, from the optional GPS accessory. If you want to use the hand control database to find the coordinates of a celestial object for a future date you would need to turn the GPS module off in order to manually enter a date and time other than the present.

Edited by Terrybythe sea, 03 June 2020 - 01:08 PM.

#6 Jacksonite22

Jacksonite22

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:27 PM

Yes, for the SE at least. From the manual:

GPS On/Off - Allows you to turn on\off the GPS module when using the optional CN16 GPS accessory. When aligning the telescope, the NexStar still receives information, such as current time, from the optional GPS accessory. If you want to use the hand control database to find the coordinates of a celestial object for a future date you would need to turn the GPS module off in order to manually enter a date and time other than the present.

On my unit it's buried in the utilities menu.  Finally found it and applied it and yes it's much simpler now.  Thanks.

• Terrybythe sea likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics