•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting to know this beast.

Maksutov Meade classic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Monk80

Monk80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Helmond Netherlands

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:41 PM

Dear All,

Not too long ago I purchased a LX200 7" classic. Getting to know this beast has been worth my while, I had some rewarding first nights as an astronomy noob. I can definitely say that this is here to stay. One thing though that was really bugging me is the focussing, I've read it is the nature of the beast and that there are options. Im thinking of going down the Crayford route but am having a hard time finding out what will work on the back of the 7".

The scope I got came with a Meade 2" 90 degr. zenit mirror (is this any good? ) that threads on the back of the scope and that fits my series 4000 2" eyepieces. What Crayford style (or other) external focusers will fit taking the original focusing knob in account (clearance)? I know clearance with the fork base may be an issue as well, Im willing to deal with that though. Having a high quality focuser is more important.

I've seen so many options that I'm sliding down into the analysis paralysis abyss, on top of that it seems I may need some adapter ring? If there's anybody out there that is willing to show some technical and buying tips I'd be grateful! Also photo's of your setup would be appreciated if you did this mod.

CS

Monk

Edited by Monk80, 03 June 2020 - 01:23 PM.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 JMC3

JMC3

Lift Off

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:20 PM

Unrelated to your topic but i also recently purchased the same scope. Question...did u find a cable for AUX to connect the fans or was it included?  Can’t seem to locate one. Just curious.

Thx

John

#3 Monk80

Monk80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Helmond Netherlands

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:24 AM

Unrelated to your topic but i also recently purchased the same scope. Question...did u find a cable for AUX to connect the fans or was it included?  Can’t seem to locate one. Just curious.

Thx

John

John,

Mine came with that cable, and it seems like a part that is very very hard to come by 2nd hand..

It would however be relatively easy to make DIY, possibly even from recycled materials. You would need a 5mm DC connector, an RJ45 connector and some spiral cable from an analog phone. Im unsure about the exact diameter of the DC plug, cant get to my scope right now, but Im sure 5-5.5mm would work. (try some scrap types laying around to test fit) The RJ plug can also be test fitted as I think off the top off my head its the same size as an ethernet cable plug. Do mind polarity of the DC voltage, I've heard our circuitry is quite sensitive to the 18 volts, reversing it.. EEK :p

Did you set this scope up already? Aligned it once? in AltAz? I found the manual on this was unclear (just polar setup) and other sources difficult to follow. I was handed a setup guide in another topic and edited it into an easy to follow setup guide that should work quite well. Let me know If you want it, I can send it.

On the topic in the OP: Anybody added a Crayford ext focuser when also using a (type of) 90 degrees zenit diagonal ?

Which one for sure clears the fork base and focus knob, and did that focuser take 2" series 4000 eyepieces?

I'm confident sourcing for a brand and built type, just wondering what will work dimensions wise and if there are certain annoyances or serious downsides. 

CS

Monk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maksutov, Meade, classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics