•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why does the box for a new Zhumell Z130 say Made in China?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ziffusion

ziffusion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:26 PM

I just received a new Zhumell Z130 from Amazon. The box says Made in China.

Anybody know why? I thought it was supposed to be made in Taiwan (GSO)?

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

Because Taiwan is China?

Depends on who you ask.

Edited by havasman, 04 June 2020 - 06:54 AM.

#3 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

Taiwan is not China.  At least not Communist ruled China.  But maybe GSO is outsourcing?

• BFaucett likes this

#4 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

China claims Taiwan. Taiwan asserts as much independence as they can without provoking too much ire from the Chinese mainland. While no major country officially recognizes Taiwan as an independent country, they are pretty autonomous. But often it's best not to provoke your much more powerful neighbor. Thus, they kind of have a choice between saying made in China and made in Taiwan, and neither would be inaccurate. One would just be more precise.

Also, Taiwan officially call themselves the "Republic of China", as opposed to China, which is the People's Republic of China.

Edited by Tangerman, 03 June 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#5 Volvonium

Volvonium

Messenger

• Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

The Zhumell brand name is controlled by Synta, and distributed by Celestron.   The dobs and many newts are primarily built using parts sourced from GSO (Taiwan), but there may be some models that use more Synta (China) components than Taiwanese, making the country of manufacture China.    I was fairly certain that Z130 was predominantly GSO components.  Something may have changed and they are now using more Synta parts.   Both Synta and GSO mirrors have been shown to be good performers in the smaller sizes, so you likely still have a quality instrument.

If it says "Republic of China", that is the same as Taiwan.   Republic of China is separate and different from mainland China.   

• markb likes this

#6 Topographic

Topographic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

Taiwan is The Republic of China.

#7 ArneN

ArneN

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

Maybe the bod was made in China :-)

Arne

#8 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

I have plenty of things with 'Made in Taiwan' or ROC written on them. I have plenty of things with 'Made in China' or PRC written on them. My guess is that it was easier to put 'Made in China' on the box. 

• petert913 likes this

#9 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

The Zhumell brand name is controlled by Synta, and distributed by Celestron.   The dobs and many newts are primarily built using parts sourced from GSO (Taiwan), but there may be some models that use more Synta (China) components than Taiwanese, making the country of manufacture China.    I was fairly certain that Z130 was predominantly GSO components.  Something may have changed and they are now using more Synta parts.   Both Synta and GSO mirrors have been shown to be good performers in the smaller sizes, so you likely still have a quality instrument.

If it says "Republic of China", that is the same as Taiwan.   Republic of China is separate and different from mainland China.   

Synta is Taiwanese, but they have a manufacturing base on the mainland as it is cheaper for mass production.

• Volvonium likes this

#10 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

I remember people saying in late 2017 that Zhumell went belly-up. Not sure what that meant exactly, but their products did vanish from the marketplace. Some time later, Zhumell was back on the market. So it's possible that there was a major change in ownership, structure, supplier, what have you.    

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics