•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light - New Imaging Setup - North American Nebula - LRGB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geekxx

geekxx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

Just to begin, I know this is not a great picture! The focal length is too much for the target, the telescope is badly in need of collimation, the field is not remotely flat, etc.  What's actually cool about this picture is how easy it was to get!

See, after eight years of nothing but frustration trying to take pictures with a wedge-mounted CPC 800 I sold everything and started fresh with new equipment. I ordered a CEM25P, Redcat, ASI1600mm Pro, ASI290 Mini guider, ASIair Pro, etc. The ASIair finally arrived Monday (still waiting on the Redcat) and miraculously the skies clear for the night. So I set everything up with my old C5+ w/ f /6.3 reducer and gave it a go from my light polluted backyard, and OH MY GOSH what a difference! Polar alignment could take an hour or more in the past. With the ASIair it was just a few minutes to get within 13" error. Guiding worked pretty much flawlessly whereas in the past I would spend countless hours trying to get everything working. I'm just completely blown away by how much easier this is. I was ready to give up completely, but I feel like I have a new lease on things. I think this is the first time I was able to get lights, flats, darks, and dark flats all in one night. It's also probably the first time I spent more time actually capturing data than fiddling with equipment. I can't wait until the Redcat shows up. 

LRGB NGC7000 Lpc Cbg Mod St

• BravoFoxtrot, elmiko, havasman and 1 other like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

Great story, looking forward to your new images.

• geekxx likes this

#3 astrodom

astrodom

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

Great start!  I like the ease of use of the ASIAIR as well.   Looking forward to your pictures with the Redcat! 

#4 djr5899

djr5899

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:05 PM

Just to begin, I know this is not a great picture! The focal length is too much for the target, the telescope is badly in need of collimation, the field is not remotely flat, etc.  What's actually cool about this picture is how easy it was to get!

See, after eight years of nothing but frustration trying to take pictures with a wedge-mounted CPC 800 I sold everything and started fresh with new equipment. I ordered a CEM25P, Redcat, ASI1600mm Pro, ASI290 Mini guider, ASIair Pro, etc. The ASIair finally arrived Monday (still waiting on the Redcat) and miraculously the skies clear for the night. So I set everything up with my old C5+ w/ f /6.3 reducer and gave it a go from my light polluted backyard, and OH MY GOSH what a difference! Polar alignment could take an hour or more in the past. With the ASIair it was just a few minutes to get within 13" error. Guiding worked pretty much flawlessly whereas in the past I would spend countless hours trying to get everything working. I'm just completely blown away by how much easier this is. I was ready to give up completely, but I feel like I have a new lease on things. I think this is the first time I was able to get lights, flats, darks, and dark flats all in one night. It's also probably the first time I spent more time actually capturing data than fiddling with equipment. I can't wait until the Redcat shows up. 

Sounds like me, as someone who is just getting into astrophotography over the past year, I have ordered a bunch a new equipment since February, after spending the last year with just a DSLR and tripod.  Always exciting getting the pieces in the mail.  Waiting for a clear night in rainy Florida....not so much. frown.gif

Speaking of which, curious as to when you placed your order for the ASIAir Pro, and who you ordered it from?  I have one on order since mid-April from High Point Scientific, and I'm still anxiously awaiting its arrival.  Between COVID-19 shutting down ZWO factory, limited production, and huge backlog, the delays are expected to be long.  The ASIAir Pro is the last piece I am waiting on.

• geekxx likes this

#5 geekxx

geekxx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

I ordered mine in April from OPT and it took exactly seven weeks to arrive.
  • djr5899 likes this

#6 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:08 PM

I feel exactly the same about the ASIair which arrived about 2 weeks ago for me.  I didn't change any equipment, but I love the simplicity.  My cable management is a cinch now.

• geekxx and djr5899 like this

#7 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:17 AM

The mount really does make all the difference, and I have a 'mediocre' mount.  What we all could to with an AP mount.  It's good to make a picture that excites the photographer, whether it be astro or terrestrial, it's awesome to say, "Yeah, I took that, here's how..."

• geekxx likes this

#8 djr5899

djr5899

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:19 PM

The mount really does make all the difference, and I have a 'mediocre' mount.  What we all could to with an AP mount.  It's good to make a picture that excites the photographer, whether it be astro or terrestrial, it's awesome to say, "Yeah, I took that, here's how..."

I hear you on the mount.  My funds have been limited at the times of purchase, and right now I pretty much have a very low end mount, the iOptron (SmartEQ Pro+).  I recently had to add a 2nd counter-weight, and, I'm already coming close to pushing the limits of what that mount can do with the equipment I have.

At the same time, as someone just really starting out, my level of acceptance of picture quality is probably a lot lower than someone who has been doing this for years.  I don't expect everything to be perfect, and figure like most things, it will just take practice and repetition for my image quality to improve over time.

• geekxx likes this

#9 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:47 PM

Don't disrespect the mighty Smart EQ.  I raged at it at the time but now I wish I'd kept mine.  I rigged it with a collapsible tripod and it made a pretty mean portable DSLR / 35mm prime lens constellation grabber.  With current tech I'd replace the finder scope with a guide scope, run SharpCap polar align with it and all my gripes with it would be gone.

5722897-DSC_4427 copy.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics