Here's an attempt to pass on some suggested modifications I made to my Skywatcher 150 telescope. Many of these were per suggestions on the Cloudy Nights forum.
- Added 5 eyepieces to the 2 supplied with the scope
- Replaced supplied 6x30 finder with 8x50 mm Right Angle Correct-Image Finder
- Added red-dot finder (for rough pointing)
- Added thin Lazy Susan bearing for smoother swiveling in azimuth
- Added magnet for tube balance weight
- Painted protective caps orange so they don't get lost if dropped
- Added 15" homemade stool to lift telescope to convenient height per
The stool described in Eyes on the Sky is for a tabletop telescope, so I made changes in the design:
- My stool is only 15" high because my scope is bigger
- Eliminated hinges for folding the legs
- Turned 2x4 legs 90 deg to make legs stronger
- Fastened legs with deck screws through top plus clips on bottom
- Fastened brace/shelf with angle brackets. Holes in shelf can hold eyepieces.
- Bored hole in top for bolt at bottom of telescope mount
The stool top is a 15" pine circle. This is smaller than the diameter of the plastic feet on the telescope so the feet hang over the sides. Thus I needed to bore a hole for the bottom bolt on the telescope. The stool is rigid and with three legs, does not rock unlike a 4-legged stool I was using.
I did not remove the Teflon pads on the base to better support the telescope. But there was enough drag from the Teflon to make azimuth pointing difficult. The cure was adding a thin piece of aluminum under the bearing to give a slight clearance to the pads.