•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best 5-6mm eyepiece for a small dob

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 korman643

korman643

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

Well, that is exactly what I really hate to do...with the BCO in the focuser the Heritage behaves more or less as without eyepiece, and that is the last thing I want when switching to a lower power eyepiece into a higher power one with a narrower afov too.

Add that most likely will have to refocus, and have the recipe for troubles.

Ok I'm again confused, I thought you say the BCOs were good for the Heritage!

#77 korman643

korman643

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:05 AM

I'd say excellent options would be 5 XW or 6 Delos depending on desired magnification. A budget alternative, little less mag, would be the 6.5 Morpheus. On the flip side, an even more budget option right in the middle of 5-6 mm could be the Meade 5.5 UWA (a very good performer for its price). 

I could by the Morpheus for only 10€ more than the Meade. So that may be the right choice

Are the Hyperions any good?

#78 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

No, I said that I prefer to avoid their use in the Heritage but, among "low glass eyepieces", BCOs are the lesser evil.

I use them a lot, but with others telescopes

#79 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

I could by the Morpheus for only 10€ more than the Meade. So that may be the right choice

The Hyperions vary but in general they are considered good in F6 or slower scopes.

Scott
  • korman643 likes this

#80 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Dang, those Meades are expensive in Europe.  The Meade 5.5 is a great eyepiece, but at that price point, it would be worth it to spend a little more on the Morpheus.

The Hyperion might be a good budget option, especially if you use a coma corrector.  Even if you don't, at that magnification you may not care that much about the outer part of the field.

• korman643 likes this

#81 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

Dang, those Meades are expensive in Europe. The Meade 5.5 is a great eyepiece, but at that price point, it would be worth it to spend a little more on the Morpheus.

The Hyperion might be a good budget option, especially if you use a coma corrector. Even if you don't, at that magnification you may not care that much about the outer part of the field.

I’m not sure how much is the Meades being expensive versus the Morpheus being cheap.
  • korman643 likes this

#82 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:04 AM

I’m not sure how much is the Meades being expensive versus the Morpheus being cheap.

I'd say more the Meades.  astroshop.eu has the 5.5 listed at 226.00.  Even when they're not on sale, they go for about a 100.00 less in the U.S.  I remember when I was first starting out, they were on sale for 75.00.

I guess it's like wines from California going for a premium price in France.

• SeattleScott and korman643 like this

#83 korman643

korman643

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for all the great insights

Still not sure what I will buy, but I'm now oriented towards a Morpheus.

A side note of sort, just to show how in the end sky conditions may change everything even only moving you telescope few hundred meters.

I've mentioned above that I use the Heritage 130p while in or around the city, but I've a Orion XT10 that I use when I'm in the mountains. My mountain flat is being renovated, so I've moved the XT10 to another location, only few hundred metres away upstream along the valley. I could not use it during the whole COVID 19 lockdown thing, but now the lockdown has been somehow lifted and so we moved for a weekend away from the city among the hills. Last night the sky was somehow free from clouds so I took the XT10 outside in a small  meadow to check some random target. Driving 10 minutes one could go in a lateral valley where the sky is truly dark, but I was eager to use the "big boy" after months, so the village meadow was ok. Keep in mind that this place is literally no more than 500 metres away from my regular home, so my expectation was that, given or taken fewer streert lights, I would be treated by the same conditions  - this means M51 rather faint, M101 semi-invisible etc.

I pointed at M101 using the 30mm TS Optics ED Paragon and my jaws dropped - it was there to be seen, fully visible, with even a hint of arms structure. I could not believe my eyes. The view with the XCEL LX 25mm was even better and even the Omni 15mm was great and crisp. I moved to M51 and - suprise suprise - it was very luminous, with the bridge between M51 and NGC 5195 visible.This time I used the XCEL LX 9mm and the view was absolutely gorgeous, like the one I normally see on darker, Class 3 skies (here is Class 4).

I thought the sky condition were probably abnormally transparent and steady, so I loaded everything on my car and drove to the old place, 500 metres away. Pointed at the sky and M51 was back to its faint normal, and M101 was semi invisible.

The only real difference between the two places is that the old one has a obnovious street lamp just around the corner, but that's it. I can't put my head around how one single streetlight can make faint objects visibility so different, but that the only explanation.

Edited by korman643, 16 June 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#84 korman643

korman643

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:17 AM

Just to let you know that after a lot of "mature" considerations  lol.gif  i ended up buying the Baader Morpheus 6.5mm. Once it's here and I can use it in good conditions, I will post a rfull eview.

• SteveG, CeleNoptic, 25585 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics