•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI camera power extension cord

accessories CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 astromm

astromm

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:06 PM

I got ZWO ASI 183mm camera and as other users reported the DC cable power supply to the camera is too short.

Does someone have recommendation for DC extension cable which works in this setup? 

The problem is that power supply provides up to 5 amp/12 V. It seems reasonable to look for extension cable with same rating, but DC extension cables I see don't go above 3 amps.

Thanks in advance.

Milan

Edited by Milan Mijic, 03 June 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

I ordered a power supply for my ASI294 from HighPointScientific and it included an extra extension cord. I do not know if the extension cord is available separately but it might be worth a call. (They are good folk to deal with!)

• astromm likes this

#3 Joshm1084

Joshm1084

Explorer 1

• Loc: Aiken, South Carolina

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

I just ordered one of these for my 183MC. It's a 6ft extension rated for 6.5 amps. Should work since I'm using a 5 amp AC power adapter. 

https://www.amazon.c...1_3re2EbE1Y9P8H

You'll want to look for an extension with a 2.1x5.5mm plug.

• astromm likes this

#4 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:42 PM

Josh, the only issue I have with that type of extension is it can come loose. I had this already happen when I didn't take the time time screw the connection together, which is the advantage of the HPS extension.

I guess it could always be taped together.

• dswtan and astromm like this

#5 dswtan

dswtan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

I have the same as Joshm1084 -- one slight gotcha with the one (actually 3, for 3 different installations) I received is that it is a little thicker than the cable on my PSUs and therefore it is a little stiff. But if you are doing better cable management than I am (pretty easy to do! ;-)), you should be fine. It is not *totally* stiff.

And yes, it can come apart, but the only time that happened was when I tripped over it once, so was actually a safety feature! :o)

• astromm likes this

#6 astromm

astromm

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

Thank you guys. I ordered the cable recommended by Josh. If it gives me troubles will call High Point Scientific.

#7 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

I use one similar to the Amazon cable. A small piece of electrical tape wrapped around the connection and never an issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics