•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bought a Complete Set of Pentax XWs Today

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:54 AM

​I have also come to the conclusion that someone at Pentax is a heck of an eyepiece designer.  I don’t know the timeline and all, but they seem to crank out some excellent eyepieces.  The 0.965 SMC Orthos, the XOs, the XWs, etc.

Definitely agree!

I thought they were a bit strange at first, but then I realized that the hard-shell "dome" on the top of the eyepiece was a perfect fit for my face.  The Pentax eyepieces just settle in and it's easy to position your eye to see everything easily.

When I discovered the TV Ethos and moved to those for my personal observing, the Pentax remained as my eyepieces of choice for public outreach.  They are so easy and comfortable to use; everyone was able to enjoy the views.

I finally sold them, but had to scramble around after my cataract surgery to buy them back again after I discovered that I needed eyepieces with more eye relief.  They will stay here from now on.

Again, congrats on buying the whole set!

Ron

• SteveG, 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#52 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

In old archived scrolls the XW Buddha reveals how to fit a Dioptrx lens to XW 30 & 40mm eyepieces https://astromart.co...x-xw40-and-xw30

I’ll need to take a look at that.  I do have astigmatism.  Not severe, but annoying at low power.

• Paul G and 25585 like this

#53 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:05 AM

Definitely agree!

I thought they were a bit strange at first, but then I realized that the hard-shell "dome" on the top of the eyepiece was a perfect fit for my face.  The Pentax eyepieces just settle in and it's easy to position your eye to see everything easily.

When I discovered the TV Ethos and moved to those for my personal observing, the Pentax remained as my eyepieces of choice for public outreach.  They are so easy and comfortable to use; everyone was able to enjoy the views.

I finally sold them, but had to scramble around after my cataract surgery to buy them back again after I discovered that I needed eyepieces with more eye relief.  They will stay here from now on.

Again, congrats on buying the whole set!

Ron

Thanks, and I hope your surgery was successful.

• RAKing likes this

#54 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, and I hope your surgery was successful.

It was very successful, thanks!  There is a thread somewhere here on CN where those of us who had the surgery compared our results.

My 2.0 eyes are great.  I still have 20-20 vision and when we took the bandage off the first one, the world was much brighter and colors were true.  White was "white" again, etc.  cool.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• John Gauvreau, SandyHouTex and 25585 like this

#55 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:26 PM

I'm curious about how most non eyeglass wearers use the twist up eye cup.  Do you find it useful to twist it up some or do you keep it screwed down?  I received a 40mm today and will hopefully be able to try it out tomorrow in a 10" SCT.    It really doesn't seem to have much range before it just totally unscrews, so doesn't seem like it would make all that much difference.  Also, it's gets a little loose towards the top end of the range which I don't really like.  I'm hoping that I can just be satisfied with using it screwed all the way down.  I love the looks of the big glass though.

Tim

#56 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

Doh! Just figured it out, I was just unscrewing the ring at the top.  Basically the whole top half of the EP twists around giving you a pretty large adjustment range.  Much nicer! Now I'm impressed.

I'm curious about how most non eyeglass wearers use the twist up eye cup.  Do you find it useful to twist it up some or do you keep it screwed down?  I received a 40mm today and will hopefully be able to try it out tomorrow in a 10" SCT.    It really doesn't seem to have much range before it just totally unscrews, so doesn't seem like it would make all that much difference.  Also, it's gets a little loose towards the top end of the range which I don't really like.  I'm hoping that I can just be satisfied with using it screwed all the way down.  I love the looks of the big glass though.

Tim

• SteveG, RAKing and 25585 like this

#57 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:19 PM

Under that top cap are threads for mounting a camera.

#58 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

Tim

Tim,

To answer your first question, I do not wear glasses, but I like to twist the eye cup up about four (out of the five) turns.  This puts it at a very comfortable place for me.  YMMV! cool.gif 

Congrats on the 40.  It has always been a favorite for my long focus SCTs and Maks.

Cheers,

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics